Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
cleidigh

Keycap removal \ cleaning on T400S

I have a T400S that is only 9 months old and I seem to have a flaky 'A' key that greatly hinders my typing.  I am hoping that a removal\cleaning will do the trick.  Anyone have experience  or recommendations on this?

Thanks

Serial Port
unit88888888

Re: Keycap removal \ cleaning on T400S

What do you mean "flaky." Because I have the "P" key where if you press it from the side, it doesnt depress smoothly like the rest of the other keys. though if i press the P key straight up from the top then it depresses smoothly. Do you think I should replace it or just let the key slowly wear in??

and as for removing the keycap, jst carefully take your finger and lift it from the top of the key until it comes off. it shouldnt break but just be careful because we are dealing with small contraptions here

802.11n
Ideasmiths

Re: Keycap removal \ cleaning on T400S

[ Edited ]

It's perfectly safe, I have took out the keys lots of time to clean out the stuff trapped underneath. Once in a while I will take out all the keys to do a complete cleaning.

Start with the keys at the bottome of the keyboard first, like CTRL or Fn, because it will help when you move up the row. Using the fingernail is enough. I discovered this when I was holding my 9 months old baby and he likes to grab a bunch of keys off the keyboard. I don't know how he did it, but one sweep of his hand he can take out 4 or 5 keys.

So after I learned form him, I also did the same, for example taking out the blue Fn key on the leftmost, depress the shift key and dig the key towards you. After you took out this first key, you will see how the key is fixed to the keyboard. The main things is the two small catch on the key side and connects to the white plastic structure. Once you feel the legs 'pop' out of the catch, the key will come out smoothly.

But make sure do not TWIST the key (example like diagonally), just use up or down, left or right digging movement. Look at the white plastic key holding structure, don't damage any of these or you will have to change keyboard. They are made of quite flexible and tough plastic material so they can stretch a bit. If the hinge plastic legs got pulled out (you used a upward digging movement force-dislodging the bigger legs) , just use a jewel screwdriver to press them back intot the inner slots.

Note some keys like the direction keys on the right and the HOME/END/F1 to F9 keys are RIGHT and LEFT 'digging' movement instead of up and down like other keys. After you took out the several of the normal keys, you will have a 'sense' of how the key is attached to the white plastic structure.. (hint, lift it up a bit to see if how it move or bigger hint is to look at the bezel on the key, which way the slope is facing B-)

After taking out all keys, just vacuum and clean the base. Then when everything is dry, snap the keys back, just aligh from the top, push in till you feel a snap. Ensure keys are dry first because some of them (eg shift, Enter keys have metal hinges, wet = rust)

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

PS: Oops, slipped my mind, have added some new information to the pictures, reduced sizes to <50K and inserted back to message. thank you Moderator