Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
ricky969

Re: Lenovo T400 overheats and shuts down

[ Edited ]

machine has T9600 2.8GHz with 4.00GB (i'm using only 2.46GB cause i'm not running 64bit ) of RAM 32 bit OS Windows 7 Pro SP1.

let me correct myself, i did not uninstall the power management, i uninstalled ThinkVantage Tools. Before doing that i had also modified the power settings to max performance (fan was set to run all time but according to TPFC it didn't). it was kickin in when the machine was already too hot and as soon as the ThinkVantage Service started it made the system shut down. Not sure what was triggering the ThinkVantage Tools to start but i can guarantee you that from the Windows Task Manager the memory and CPU used by this service was incredibly high

it's been 3 days since i uninstalled the tools and the machine never stopped working. it's on 15 hrs a day and i'm running the same exact programs that i was running before. CPU never gets above 72C.

Guru
ColonelONeill

You mean the ThinkVantage Toolbox, right? It's kinda useless, IMO.

When TPFC runs, it overrides the Power Manager settings by assuming control of it.

When it starts up, does it check "Smart (TPFanControl.ini" by default?

The T CPUs do tend to run hotter, so consider undervolting using RMClock anyway. I'm running my P8700 with 4GB on 32-bit as well. Installed eBoostr and let it use the extra 1.4GB as RAM cache for loading stuff quicker.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Blue Screen Again
ricky969

yes, i meant ThinkVantage Toolbox.

Yes TPFC starts up in Smart mode. I wasn't' aware that TPFC was overriding Power Manager settings. Now that i know i will disable it and see if the machine will still shut down.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all your feedback

Blue Screen Again
ricky969

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Hi ricky969!

I think your post is empty because of the temporary problem we're experiencing with Internet Explorer 9. Sorry about that! Here's the forum announcement and suggestions for ways around that:

15th March 2011

Users of Internet Explorer 9 are experiencing problems creating posts and private messages. The content is lost and appears blank when posted. While this is being investigated and fixed, please use Quick Reply, Internet Explorer 9's Compatibility Mode, or an alternate browser to post. Thank you.

Keep on posting!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Token Ring
Thumper88

[ Edited ]

On my T400, I removed the old thermal paste and applied a thin, even layer of Arctic Silver 5 to the heatsink.

Having looked at a brand new heatsink on eBay, the thermal paste is applied in "drops" with space in between.

I can only assume, when the heatsink is installed, air pockets are created. My CPU core had very little paste on it, it was all around the core. CPU temps rose to 73C and  above (it would shut down), while GPU hovered around 50C.

Now CPU temp is around 46C and same with the GPU (they share the same heatsink, arctic silver works!). With integrated graphics enabled, CPU is 42C.

This is with the T9600, no undervolting.

Blue Screen Again
ricky969

[ Edited ]

i know my solution will sound weird, however it fixed my overheating issue.

I tried all you guys suggested above without success.  After uninstalling ROXIO creator 2010 the temperatures dropped from 78C and higher to 37-40C no matter how may programs i run. Amazing! it's been stable for over two weeks now. it does not matter if i run it on battery or AC, the CPU does not get hot anymore.

i replaced roxio with imgburn and successfully burned a DVD...again the temperature did not exceed 40C

I uninstalled roxio because after attempting 3 times to burn a DVD the system was not crashing but was logging me off and shutting down. After uninstalling it I kept monitoring the temperatures and noticed a huge drop. At first i thought it was a coincidence but after a few days i realized it was not. I got to the point where i could not use my machine anymore. I was ready to throw it away, honestly. Now it's like new.

Just wanted to share my experience and hopefully other will benefit.

Blue Screen Again
austinman

[ Edited ]

I registered so that I can say thank you.

I have spent more time than I care to admit to trying to work out why my T400 would keep shutting down.The suggestions made in the messages have given me a functioning PC. I run VMWare Workstation and it 'exercises' the CPU to the full when running a couple of virtual machines.

Removing the keyboard and cleaning the fan fixed the probklem. Installing TPFC.62 allows me to put the keyboard back where it should be. As I type this the CPU is at 77C and the GPU at 71C. What I notice now is that I hear the fan speed changing with the CPU loading.

I ike the suggestion for using Artic Silver 5 and will be taking a look at the heat sink when time permits.

Thanks for all your contributions.

Broadband 3G
JDay

austinman wrote:

Removing the keyboard and cleaning the fan fixed the probklem. Installing TPFC.62 allows me to put the keyboard back where it should be. As I type this the CPU is at 77C and the GPU at 71C. What I notice now is that I hear the fan speed changing with the CPU loading.

I ike the suggestion for using Artic Silver 5 and will be taking a look at the heat sink when time permits.

Thanks for all your contributions.

Most people never clean out the fan.heatsink in their laptop and do not realize that is why it overheats. It is a good idea to clean it out at least once a year.

Guru
PeterTWJ

Hi all

For more information or help, you could always refer to the knowledge base.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T400-Overheating-caused-by-dried-thermal-gr...

Have a nice day! :smileytongue::smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy:

Peter
W520 (4284-A99)

Does someone’s post help you? Give them kudos as a reward, as they will do better to improve | Mark it as solved if the solution works for you, so it could be reference for others in the future 

=====================================

Sound Enthusiast and Enhancement (Post comments, share mixes, etc.)

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/Dolby-Home-Theater-v4-for-most-Lenovo-Laptops/td-p/62...