Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
salvi

Lenovo T410 slow to boot up and sluggish once logged in...HELP

In our company we have migrated from Toshiba to Lenovo laptops/tablets.  Recently users have been reporting that their T410 laptops are very very slow.  Most of the time they over estimate the slowness time, but this time it's not.  I checked the device and it takes 4-5 minutes from powering on the device to getting the ctrl+alt+del screen.  In that time, there is a few seconds where the screen goes completely black, then comes back.

After logging in, it takes another 5-6 minutes to get to the desktop.  I've checked the Hard Drive, memory, spyware, etc. and everything checks out.  The user states that this only started happening a couple of weeks ago.  He's had the device for about a year.

Anyone else noticing this type of slowness and what could be causing this issue?

Thanks

Token Ring
jmstuckman

Re: Lenovo T410 slow to boot up and sluggish once logged in...HELP

What happens if you load a program such as HWInfo32 to ensure that the CPU isn't running too slowly? When running HWInfo32, the CPU speed should match or exceed the adverstised speed of the laptop whenever some program is actively using the CPU.

What's DOS?
ndykang

Yes... I have the exact same problem.

The system itself is pretty fast once it has loaded though...

It's when I start the computer fresh or rebot I get these problems. Takes at least 4 minutes for the computer to function well.

I wonder if there are any solutions... I was thinking about formatting the computer.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Try defragging the drive?

Also, try running a boot trace:
www.msfn.org/board/topic/140247-trace-windows-7-bootshutdownhibernatestandbyresume-issues/
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Paper Tape
salvi

I've looked at defrag and it's not needed. This is a failry new device. I just timed the device right now and it took 6 minutes just to get to the ctrl+alt+del screen. The device is acting just like when the hard drive is bad, but every test has passed though. I'll try the boot trace and report back.
Guru
ColonelONeill

Um. Defrags should be done weekly or more often from the very first week.
Paper Tape
gradhakrishnan

Hi, I have experienced the same issue. I have not proved what is causing this but but I reckon it is because of the embedded security subsystem or possibly some of the unnecessary bloatware or thinkvantage utilities that are pre-loaded. I think you may be able to disable the embedded security (at your own risk of course) and the bloatware can be deselected from being pre-installed when you perform a restore to factory settings by selecting certain options. Let us know if you are able to pinpoint the exact cause as we have a fleet of over 400 lenovo laptops that may benefit from your wisdom! In these days of "instant on" devices, horrendously long boot up times can give a brand a bad name, sometimes unfairly so but then again, as they often say, perception is reality. Hope this helps
Guru
ColonelONeill

Try uninstalling RapidBoot. It can sometimes cause startup to be delayed significantly.

Again, defragment a platter drive regularly.
Paper Tape
thirdman

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem. It takes more than 5 min to boot up all the basic tasks. You can tell that it's still booting by the HD light being busy and the gadget not being present on the desktop.

It's a brand new HD with the basic windows freshly installed with just a CPU performance gadget added, so the performance lag has nothing to do with the HD defragmentation or some extra tasks running at the startup.

It's just a slow machine and system, period. Like other people said, once it's started up, it runs relatively fast (as you expect from a laptop with i5).

I have to put up with this long bootup/resume time both when I reboot the system fresh, and when I re-login to the system after it's sleeping (the latter being way more annoying than former).

All the defense given to this model from others aside, I've kind had enough with T410 that I have (its keyboard is also really unreliable, which is evidenced and discussed by others in another thread). I'm buying another laptop that should be faster, more reliable, and not the least, not way overpriced like T410 as a supposedly "premium" business laptop.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Five minutes sounds a bit off. A freshly installed Windows should boot in less than a minute. A 5400RPM 250GB drive can boot in half a minute on an empty install in an X100e (which is unarguably many times slower than T410).

You may want to see if the drive is failing; have a look at the SMART data using HD Tune or something.