Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
College_student

Lenovo T420 LAN card acting strange

First, I am not 100% it is the LAN adapter. But I'm fairly sure it is.

I purchased a Lenovo T420 for college, and for the last 6 months its worked fine. However, about a week ago the LAN connection stopped working. Somewhat. When I go to the LAN connection status, it says it has no Internet access on either IPv4 or IPv6. However, my browser works just fine. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the adapter driver, resetting DNS and IP settings, yet nothing works. When I try the network troubleshooter it says the computer cannot access proxy settings. I have no proxy settings.

I am quite confused and annoyed, and I'm starting to think I somehow broke the LAN adapter card itself. Does anyone have any idea what's causing this / how to fix it?

BTW:

Windows 7

tried disabling firewall and security

can connect through wireless card just fine (and it's the same network)

certain programs (origin) cannot connect to the internet through LAN

others (steam, chrome, impulse) can

thanks!

Fanfold Paper
College_student

Re: Lenovo T420 LAN card acting strange

also, I have 100% packet loss from ping

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Hello and welcome,

This is a strange one.  Are you running ThinkVantage Access Connections?  Is that where you are checking and modifying settings, or in the Windows tools?

Look at the profile settings in TV AC and see if you spot anything strange.  Failing that, uninstall AC and see if that helps.  If it does, re-install and re-test, maybe.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Fanfold Paper
College_student

I don't believe I have ThinkVantage Access Connections installed, I have been going through windows network and sharing center.
Fanfold Paper
College_student

[ Edited ]

I installed access connections: no change

Edit: I did use it to check internet connectivity.... and It said it was connected to the internet

Edit: Edit: I also tried the ping and tracert functions. Ping got no where, but the tracert got to (college Name).edu before failing (was using google.com as a target)

Guru
ExJamJus

Have you tried on other network using LAN? also tried using other LAN cable?
*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)
Broadband 3G
JDay

College_student wrote:

Edit: Edit: I also tried the ping and tracert functions. Ping got no where, but the tracert got to (college Name).edu before failing (was using google.com as a target)

Sounds like your college network is dropping ICMP packets. Nothing to worry about and I suspect your laptop is working just fine. Connect to a network other than the colleges and see if Windows detects the internet connection. All Windows is doing to detect internet connectivity is grabbing a file off a Microsoft server. It wouldn't surprise me if your colleges network admins decided to block this traffic in order to conserve bandwidth, this is the same reason they would drop ICMP packets.

Fanfold Paper
College_student

I don't know how or why, but the lan card started working again.

Just for reference, I couldn't connect to other LAN networks, but the wireless component of the school network worked fine. And I tried other LAN cables.

Guru
ExJamJus

[ Edited ]

hmmm ...

Try going into CMD and use ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

of course do that with the LAN connected to the school's LAN

*Non Lenovo employee*

I have a Y2P (i5) ... Feel free to ping me if you want me to test some applications with your Y2P if you have the same model. I don't mind keep doing recovery on it if needed .... =)
Fanfold Paper
College_student

[ Edited ]

sigh, its back.
and I tried  ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, no effect