Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
afasias
Accepted Solution

Loose battery on new T420

Hi all,

I recently got myself a new T420. Everything except the battery is okay. For some reason the 6-cell (55+) battery does not attach tightly with the notebook. (yes , i move the "switch" to the "lock" position). as a result the battery is a bit loose, it is clearly moving and you can hear it clicking if I move the computer. I can imagine that is is normal to have some "slack" but I think this is more than "normal" (and generally I try not to pay too much attention to minor details, but this one is bigger than what I can possibly ignore).

Any of you have similar problems? Did you manage to fix it?

--af

SCSI Port
bmihai

Re: Loose battery on new T420

[ Edited ]

Same problem with a T430's 9 cell battery. I added some stacked scotch tape on three places on the slot the battery fits into. They push the battery away from the laptop, and give it less room to clanker around in. It needed lots of layers to get the right thickness. We're talking about 2mm here... huge.

The lock switch was really loose before I added the layers. It barely "clicked" at all. Now it actually sticks a little bit in the locked position, which is better. I think this lock looseness is specific to the 430.

This really is a problem, and one that shouldn't exist. I wish Lenovo had a fix for it, but even if they do, current owners probably won't see it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T430: i7-3520M, NVS5400, 1600x900, SSD+HDD. Debian + Windows7.
Token Ring
Remeniz

Same on the T410 with the 9 cell battery.

Any chance you could show me where you applied the tape?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
T410(2537) -- i7 620M - Intel HD GPU (1440 x 900) - 8GB RAM - 128GB Crucial M4 SSD - 250GB Hitachi HDD - Windows 7 & 8 Pro
Paper Tape
afasias

Hi again,

It seems that indeed the only possible work-around is too insert something between the battery walls and the laptop to prevent it from moving around. I found some double-sided tape in my stuff , around 1-1.5mm thick and I stuck some pieces of tape on the inner side of the battery, as shown below:

I used 5 small pieces in total, perhaps only two (on the left and right edge) might also suffice. I didn't remove the second side of the tape because I don't want to glue it with the rest of the laptop. The result, although not 100% perfect, is quite good, since the battery now is not moving left-right and back-forth. But sometimes it has also a small slack on the vertical (top-bottom) axis, I guess 1-2 more pieces of tape on the top of the battery would solve that small problem as well. I think I'm gonna leave it like that for a couple of days to see how it goes and then maybe I can also try that. That's a huge improvement after all.

Thank you very much! That was an excellent idea and I would recommend it to other people too! Try to find a sponge-like tape that provides enough elasticity so it can be slightly squeezed when the battery lock.

Cheers.

Guru
ColonelONeill

I'd leave a little bit of wiggle room anyway, just in case.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
SCSI Port
bmihai

[ Edited ]

Here's my version of the tape positioning. I applied it to the chassis, thinking it's more protected from rubbing against things when I take the battery out. Using foam tape is a nice idea, I wish I had some!

tape position

The tape doesn't have to be anything particularly sticky. The pressure of the battery on it is enough to hold it in place (it's been there for almost a month with no shifting). Go for the thickest tape you have, you'll go mad adding the 10 layers I needed. Also, make sure you add the larget piece of tape on top, so that a little ramp is formed for the battery to slide on top of, instead of catching on the stack.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Punch Card
junasie_T130

[ Edited ]

bmihai wrote:

Same problem with a T430's 9 cell battery. I added some stacked scotch tape on three places on the slot the battery fits into. They push the battery away from the laptop, and give it less room to clanker around in. It needed lots of layers to get the right thickness. We're talking about 2mm here... huge.

The lock switch was really loose before I added the layers. It barely "clicked" at all. Now it actually sticks a little bit in the locked position, which is better. I think this lock looseness is specific to the 430.

This really is a problem, and one that shouldn't exist. I wish Lenovo had a fix for it, but even if they do, current owners probably won't see it.

The loose lock and battery is not specific to the T430 because I have the same problem on my new T530. The lock switch on my 6-cell battery is very loose and does not lock at all. You can also see this when you take The battery out of the laptop and try to lock it. On mine, it only locks the levers if I press on it really hard and hold it down.

I also think the loose battery is a separate issue from the loose lock. I have a big gap on both sides when the battery is installed, and it moves up and down as well as sideways. I don't know if it it's the battery or slot size that is configured poorly, but it cheapens the solid feel of the ThinkPad when you can feel the battery moving and rattling inside.

SCSI Port
bmihai

[ Edited ]

Please note that the solution shown in my photo above turned out to be not quite perfect: I noticed that the placement of the tape stack in the center makes that part of the case flex when pressed by the battery.

A better solution is to split the central stack into two stacks placed at the left and right edges of the battery slot: the case is much more rigid there. The battery is supported in 4 points this way, with no flexing.