Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
Zuffox

Microphone(s) won't work

A recounting of the problems on http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=342778:
I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 on a Lenovo T500 Thinkpad. I'm experiencing an issue with my microphone input, which is barely detected by Windows or other programs when testing. If I try to apply boost to it, it goes completely nuts with static. Testing in Steam, I practically get static no matter what settings I apply. To sum up: The volume is horribly low, and there's nothing that seems to improve it.

I've tried playing with the Sound Recorder settings to no avail, as well as plugging in three different microphones with the same result: Low, but occasionally decipherable, volume. This suggests that the problem is OS- or hardware-related, and from what I've read on the internet (http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=Vista&thread.id=4300&view=by_date_asc...), Vista seems to be the culprit.

I have no other computer to test the problem on, and people in threads all over the internet can't seem to find a solution to the problem, which, naturally makes for an inconvenient future using Vista. And playing Left 4 Dead.

As it reads in the linked thread, the problem doesn't seem to be with the microphone, as all three microphones (two regular, one being a Logitech, and a clip-on) I've tested suffer from the same to some degree. Vista must be the culprit.

I've tried the suggested reinstalling audio drivers, testing volume and boost levels, and some other weird stuff. No dice.

Another person suggested getting a jack-to-USB converter, as this will have Vista detect the external mic, but it's a hotfix, and an inconvenient one at that.

I had completely forgotten that I have an integrated Lenovo microphone in the laptop, but this doesn't work either - I suspect that this is the microphone always displayed in Recording Devices, though, meaning that the external mics probably aren't even detected at all.

I couldn't be more clueless as to what I might do to remedy this weird problem.

PS: And this time, don't delete my thread without any notice, as you did with my graphics driver thread - please.
zilla
Kudos: 62
Solutions: 14

Re: Microphone(s) won't work

Zuffox wrote:

PS: And this time, don't delete my thread without any notice, as you did with my graphics driver thread - please.

Your graphics driver thread wasn't deleted, it just got a new link when the T forum was split into two. Here is the new link.

Also all subscriptions were lost, to resubscribe click on thread options at the top of each thread. 

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

Serial Port
Zuffox

Anyone with a suggestion regarding my problem? It still persists, and I've tried anything imaginable to fix it. It's a major annoyance.
Serial Port
Zuffox

It seems that Vista (Ultimate 64) won't detect the microphones I plug in. I had forgotten about the built-in Lenovo microphone, meaning that it's the one at fault for being inaudible - and perhaps to some degree Vista. Meanwhile, my other microphone won't even be detected by Vista; thus, two problems seem to present themselves rather than just one.
Serial Port
Zuffox

An update on the problem Vista has detecting the microphones: By uninstalling the Conexant audio driver, the microphones connected are suddenly detected. The output of the microphones are, however, still very low the point of being inaudible - for instance to Windows itself, stating that some of the voice excerpts are too low to be detected. But at least one of the two issues seems somewhat resolved - or at least elucidated. Still need your help, though.

What's DOS?
cabezud

Having the same problem on my T400.  Built in mic and my external mic (iPhone headset) both giving me strangely low volume.  Running Windows 7 RC 32-bit.  Have messed with mic properties (including the boost as you mentioned) to no avail.   Not sure what else to try.  Could it be a driver issue?
Serial Port
Zuffox

cabezud: The microphone itself is tripe, as I see it. Playing some videogames, I did discover that I was audible to other players, albeit at a low volume that could be too low if I weren't near the microphone at all times. On Vista, not installing the sound driver from Lenovo seemed to help somewhat, if I recall correctly. 
What's DOS?
cabezud

I just installed the Conexant audio driver from Lenovo (to replace the standard driver), and it improved a little...I think. 

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-70595.html

HDMI
dragon-fly

Mine works fine

Win vista ultimate 64 bit SP2

installed connexant audio drivers. Otherwise it wont work.

grab the latest ones from lenovo. I got the latest ones that were available July 1st. 

the default mic settings are ridiculous. Mine was set to + 48db boost off the bat. needless to say, incomprehensible speech due to it being over sensitive.+24 db setting(100% vol) is perfect for my uses.

What's DOS?
cabezud

The Conext driver I was using is from May 2009.  Is there a more recent one?