Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
Hargo

Mute and volume buttons acting weird on my T400

[ Edited ]

Suddenly the mute and volume buttons on my T400 have been acting strangely. Whenever I hit the decrease or increase volume button the volume goes up by 2 points and not 1 like usual. It's like I'm hitting it twice. Therefor I can't use the mute button since when I hit the button it acts as I hit it twice so the mute goes off right away.

I've tried uninstalling and installing the Lenovo Systems Interface driver for Windows 7 but no luck. This used to be fine, I don't know what happened.

Here's a video of me decreasing and increasing the volume with the buttons and in the end I'm trying to use the mute button. You can probably get a better idea of what I'm trying to say by watching the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdRFUKAy8CI

** EDIT:

Problem solved.

Downloaded CCleaner for Win 7, ran registry scan and fixed issues reported.

Installed the systems interface driver again (did not uninstall, just overwrote what had already been installed), restarted and that did the trick.

Decided to keep this thread instead of deleting it if someone will ever run into similar troubles.

What's DOS?
Andy-N

Re: Mute and volume buttons acting weird on my T400

Hello Hargo, 

I have the same problem, but the CCleaner didn't do the trick; tried scanning and fixing the issues that was reported, installed the interface driver again, rebooted, still having the mute and volume button problems.

Were there any other steps you did along the way that could have made some difference?

- Andy

Serial Port
Hargo

[ Edited ]

Sorry to hear about your troubles Andy-N, this is frustrating.

I had recently changed Windows 7 to log on automatically since I'm the only one who uses this laptop.

I changed it back so now I need to write a password again to log on when I start the machine. I have no idea whether that had anything do to with this....just the only thing I could think of.

Here is the guide to change this.

I also have no idea if the CCleaner did the trick for me. I just ran it and then I reinstalled the driver without uninstalling first and restarted....

Hope it helps, good luck.

** EDIT:

My solution: I tried changing Windows 7 settings to automatically logon without requiring a password to login. That produced this problem with the mute and volume buttons again. When I changed it back the problem was gone. So that's what was causing this for me.

Fanfold Paper
bobdeutscher

So i was having the exact same problem with my w500 and i tried the registry fix as well as reinstalling the driver and neither of those helped. So then i went on to try the password thing which didn't help and so after some trial and error i have found that there seems to be some issues with the volume buttons and the User Account Control, if you have it on the recommended setting (in the third position) the volume button errors occur, but if you keep it in either the second or first position there doesn't seem to be a problem. I have also tried it without using an account password and there doesn't seem to be any issues with that. So try adjusting the UAC settings.

On another note, can you make exceptions in the UAC so i would be able to keep it at the third position but allow it to not interfere with certain things like the volume and mute buttons?

BTW i'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

Fanfold Paper
bobdeutscher

k scratch that, this worked and then it went back to how it was previously, not sure what's going on.

What's DOS?
Andy-N

Hargo wrote:

** EDIT:

My solution: I tried changing Windows 7 settings to automatically logon without requiring a password to login. That produced this problem with the mute and volume buttons again. When I changed it back the problem was gone. So that's what was causing this for me.

Thank you! This did the trick and it's working smoothly now.

Only downside is that I need to have type my password every time I turn on my laptop.

Hopefully they can somehow resolve the issue.