Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
mbcisse

My T400 Hangs a the boot stage

Hello,

does anyone had seing this problem. my t400 hangs and dysplayed the first lenovo Logo screen...No possibility to press F1 or F12 to select boot order. I had replaced all 4 gb memories but the issues persist. I had been told that this could be system board.

Thank you if you have a solution for my case

All the Best

What's DOS?
agorosti

Re: My T400 Hangs a the boot stage

I have exactly the same problem with my T400.  Computer was working perfectly...  I did a reboot... and never boot again.. it hangs at the initial boot screen,  but neither the "ThinkVantage Blue botton", neither F1, F2 or F11 give me access to bios or any further info.   No post messages on screen indicating if any hardware failure... nothing...

Any hint ?

ths

Paper Tape
lala14b

Having the exact same problem.   Sorry, no resolution - just would like update if there is.

Punch Card
blue_z

[ Edited ]

Hi there

Just a WAG:

Remove the battery, and power with the AC adapter.

What indicator lights are on or blink, and which are off?

Regards

Paper Tape
tinareg1999

This just started happening to one of my users on Sunday. I had him overnight the laptop to me and indeed it freezes at Lenovo boot screen. One odd thing I did notice is that the wireless switch is off, but the Bluetooth indicator is on when the laptop turns on. The only other indicators that are on are "Power On" and "Battery status".

What's DOS?
badams

i'm experiencing the same problem. did anyone figure this one out? i tried removing all the hardware, no luck.

Retired Guru
fmyhr

[ Edited ]

Here is a sequence that might help fix delays / hangs at BIOS POST:

EDIT: Mark_Lenovo recommends skipping the gray steps 3-5 when you first try this sequence -- they may not be necessary. If you then decide to try removing the CMOS battery, please first make sure that there are no administrative passwords set on your ThinkPad.

1. Remove AC power.
  2. Remove main battery, and UltraBay battery if any.
  3. Remove CMOS backup (button cell) battery. The Hardware Maintenance Manual tells you how. You need to remove the palmrest to get to the battery. It's not hard, but if you're technophobic get somebody to help you.
  4. Touch a metal screwdriver blade or similar to both of the pins that the CMOS backup battery plugs into for 10s. The idea is to short them together temporarily.
  5. Replace CMOS backup battery and palm rest but NOT the other battery(ies) or AC yet.
  6. Press the silver power button and hold it for 10s. Release it for a couple of seconds, then repeat this step 2 more times.
  7. Re-install main battery(ies) and plug in the AC.
  8. Boot and cross fingers!
  9. Press F1 at boot to get to BIOS Setup and configure it the way you like (your settings were lost when you removed the CMOS backup battery.)
  10. After things are working properly (we hope!) update to the latest BIOS. Burn the DOS BIOS update CD and update it this way, do NOT update BIOS from within Windows.

Please report back if the above works for you. The above sequence does the most thorough reset of your machine, it's possible that not every step is necessary. If you're squeamish about opening your ThinkPad and don't have someone to help you, you could try skipping steps 3 - 5.

Good luck!

-Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Paper Tape
stori

I have a T500 with the same problem.

Tried the solution suggested here - no luck.  Same issue exactly is still there...  Any other suggestions??

Retired Guru
fmyhr

Hi stori,

Welcome to the Lenovo forum! :smileyhappy:

Sorry to hear of your trouble with your T500. If you're able to get into BIOS Setup by pressing F1 at boot, you could try disabling the Security Chip: Select Security, then Security Chip and set it to "Disabled", then press F10 to save settings and reboot.

If you cannot get into BIOS Setup, or the above doesn't help, it's probably time to call Support.

Good luck!

-Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Paper Tape
stori

Thanks.

Unfortunately, can't get into the F1 BIOS settings (tried to press F1 and hold it before, and press it at different times after, the power-on button, without any luck)...