Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
TroutGrrrl

Need more info - same spontaneous shutdown problem...

I'm using a very trustworthy 2.5 year-old T500 running Vista SP2 32-bit and my laptop has begun to have the same spontaneous shutdown problems as other users who've written here.  I suspect it's overheating.  I normally use my T500 on a docking station, which may or may not exacerbate an overheating issue. 

I want to address this problem to ensure that I can continue to progress on my PhD dissertation (!) without crises, so I have taken some of the steps previously recommended for this problem here on this board.  I installed TPFC today to begin monitoring CPU temperature and it appears that it runs between 55 and 65 C.  Other temps listed are lower.  I also made necessary adjustments in Power Settings to maximize fan speed and allow CPU speed to float.  I also removed the battery so I'm using AC power with no battery/recharging processes to add to the problem, though I'm not certain that last part will make any difference.

I want to also clean the fan since I'm sure it's probably dirty after 2.5 years of continous use in my house.  How can I take my laptop apart to clean the cooling fan?  Or is this something I should take it to a repair shop to accomplish?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: Need more info - same spontaneous shutdown problem...

Taking apart the laptop is fairly easy (I do it on a fairly regular basis, twice a month or so; I'm paranoid that way :smileytongue:).

You can find the HMM for the T500 fairly easily: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-70068.html

My CPU (P8700) runs between 35 and 40 degrees idling-lightwork and maxes out at 64 with IntelBurnTest. Yours may or may not be out of the ordinary depending on the conditions.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Fanfold Paper
kittyoneil

Thanks for the link.

You make another good point.  What temperatures are acceptable/too warm for the CPU?  I have no idea.  Mine has hovered between 55 and 65 all day since I installed the TPFC app.  (I assume the other temps don't matter as much as the CPU.)

Fanfold Paper
TroutGrrrl

Actually the CPU temp ventures into the 70s a bit.  Yikes.  How high is too high?  It hasn't shut down since I started monitoring...

Guru
ColonelONeill

Actually, you'll notice that when you install TPFC, it defaults to "Smart Mode 1" which reduces fan speed (and inherently, noise) at the cost of slightly higher temperatures. When the temperature does rise, though, the fan kicks in more vigorously than the BIOS default.

Try right-clicking on the icon and clicking "Smart Mode 2" or setting it back to BIOS.

I have custom fan profiles set for my T400 and renamed the Smart Modes to "Passive" and "Aggressive" to make my life easier:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8o0gg1yqfdoa422
Replace the two files in the C:\Program Files (x86)\TPFanControl. Remember to back up the two original ones if you want to revert.
Fanfold Paper
TroutGrrrl

I've actually set the TPFC on manual 7 to make sure my fan is on max speed - and my temps are still rising to 65 or 70 once in awhile.  I'm also not feeling much air movement near my vents.  I can hear the fan change speed when I change the setting, but I don't feel any air movement.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Then it's probably because the vents are clogged, perhaps the intake vents also. On my T400, you have to take out the heatsink/fan to see the intake vents, not sure about the T500, but should be the same.
Fanfold Paper
TroutGrrrl

Thanks.  Armed with the manual and a little confidence about the diagnosis, I think I'll attempt to take this thing apart and get it cleaned up.

Thanks for your help.

Community Moderator
richk

If the machine is still under warranty, I suggest not taking it apart, unless you really know how to do it. I have taken LOTS of machines apart and can do it so it doesn't look like someone has been there.
Fanfold Paper
TroutGrrrl

[ Edited ]

No, my machine is not under warranty any longer.  I agree, if it was, there's no way I'd risk voiding it by tearing it apart myself.

Thanks for causing me to double check.  I DO have a few months of warranty left, so this baby is going to a professional!  I could probalby do it myself, but why risk it?