Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
norsecard

New ThinkPad T430

I just got a ThinkPad T430i, its my first laptop, so what are some of the things I need to install, settings I need to change, to get it running and completely set up. Ive had some trouble clicking on items on webpages and it not clicking it and going to whatever it is linked too. Basically I have no clue, what to change,install etc.

Community SuperMod
sarbin

Re: New ThinkPad T430

[ Edited ]

welcome to the community.

congrats on your new machine!

maybe just use it for a while to get familiar with it before changing much? install your favorite web browser, if it's not there. same with email client, but basically poke around and kick the tires a bit. if you have any specific issues that crop up, start a new thread and i'm sure we can help you.

one thing to do for sure, though, is create your rescue and recovery dvds. it's the first thing i do.

cheers!

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Русскоязычное Сообщество
Community Resources: Participation RulesImages in postsSearch (Advanced)Private Messaging
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Helix X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p Yoga2ProT420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee.
Bit Torrent
tripplec

If you don't have the suppled antivirus installed you'll need something good. You can download and install MSE from microsoft. Their package is free. Then after it is updated run a full scan, takes a while but depending on what you've done you want to make sure there are no infections at this point or hijacking going on. Links should work on valid sites unless broken but thats not as common on major websites.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
Guru
hausman

[ Edited ]

Welcome to this forum and to the world of ThinkPads.

I agree that first order of business is to create recovery DVDs and to make sure you have AV, firewall and other such protection enabled.

As this is your first notebook and first ThinkPad I'd also suggest you spend some time learning about the system and what it offers. Notebooks generally come with a lot of extra utilities that add value. Press the ThinkVantage button at the top of the keyboard and start exploring. In particular read up on the ThinkVantage software that came with your system.

In addition to all this

1. Run Windows Update and Lenovo System Update to get your system as current with maintenance as possible.

2. Go to Lenovo's support site, look up your model and download the User's Guide and Hardware Maintenance Manual. The User's Guide will give you a lot of information about the unique aspects of your ThinkPad like the function keys. You won't (shouldn't!) need the HMM right away but skimming through it will give you an appreciation of what's inside and how it's put together.

I hope you get many years of pleasure from your new ThinkPad.

sarbin

In addition to all of the above, Norsecard, please continue to participate here in the community. As your knowledge grows, you'll have the opportunity to help others, too!

Cheers!

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   Русскоязычное Русскоязычное Сообщество
Community Resources: Participation RulesImages in postsSearch (Advanced)Private Messaging
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

RedEd12
Topics: 5
Kudos: 59
Solutions: 13

[ Edited ]

Wow, such a warm welcome for a new Thinkpad user! I need to get myself a new T530 so I can fully appreciate how supportive this community can be!

Welcome to the forums norsecard, and like already mentioned, congratulations on the purchase of your first Thinkpad!

Best regards,

Ed

*Edit* Really great suggestions were already put forth but I'd like to add Power Manager to the list of things to check out. Customizing that TVT offers many great options depending on your personal usage.

Was this or another post on the forum helpful? Click the star on the left side of the screen to give kudos! Did someone solve a problem you encountered? Mark it as "solution provided" to help others with the same problem.
Paper Tape
norsecard

Only thing I haven't done is the backup, it seems to be running slow, especially with multiple tabs, and how do I keep the screen from dimming when I'm watching videos, like on netflix.

RedEd12
Topics: 5
Kudos: 59
Solutions: 13

That would be Power Manager - check out the settings there. See the Power Plan settings, you can select Maximum Performance or Video Playback while streaming video.

Best regards,

Ed

Was this or another post on the forum helpful? Click the star on the left side of the screen to give kudos! Did someone solve a problem you encountered? Mark it as "solution provided" to help others with the same problem.
Community SuperMod
sarbin

[ Edited ]

norsecard wrote:

Only thing I haven't done is the backup, it seems to be running slow, especially with multiple tabs, and how do I keep the screen from dimming when I'm watching videos, like on netflix.

As Ed suggests above, you can use a power profile in Power Manager tailored to video playback. You can achieve the same thing using Windows' own power controls too. My main reason for installing TVT PM is to get full control of battery charging.

Cheers!

nibs
Topics: 43
Kudos: 144
Solutions: 39

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the community!

What are the specs on the T430i that you purchased?

How are you clicking? Tapping on the TrackPoint, TrackPoint Buttons, TrackPad tapping, or TrackPad buttons? In my experience there can be issues with clicking if you move the mouse as you click. I only use the TrackPoint and TrackPoint buttons, and I noticed when I first got my machine that I would hit the TrackPad when trying to click. This caused it to not click. My solution was turn off the TrackPad, since I never use the thing anyway.

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.

My TPs: Twist 2HU: i5-3317U Win 8 Pro, 4GB RAM 250GB Samsung 840 | T420 4177CTO: i5-2520M, HD+, Win 7 Pro x64, 8GB RAM, Optimus, 160GB Intel 320 SSD, Intel 6300 WiFi, BT 3.0 | T400 2764CTO: P8700, WXGA, Win 7 Ult x64, AMD 3470, 8GB RAM, 64GB Samsung SSD, BT, Intel 5300 WiFi | A20m 14.1" PIII 500 (retired). Monitors: 2x Dell U2211h IPS 100% sRGB calibrated w/ Spyder3.