Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
simonbp

New Thinkpad T420S defective. Lenovo said to return via EasyServ, sent bill to repair new laptop.

[ Edited ]

Summary

I ordered a Thinkpad T420S, I love it, but it came with a serious manufacturing defect in the display and because the wireless card doesn't work well. There's a bright white area just left of center of the display. It's not a pixel problem, it looks like a light behind the screen that's shining through somehow. I called support, they said return it via EasyServ and the display would be replaced and the wireless card could be swapped out for the Intel option (which was a free option when I ordered the device). I didn't hear back for more than a week. I called in, and they say that the repair -on my unused, brand new laptop- would cost more than $700.

The Details

I ordered a laptop on 8 December 2011 through Lenovo's website, order #2J23X1. The display was defective, with a large white area on the screen all the time. The wireless card wouldn't work with most of the networks that I use regularly. I called 800.426.7416 and spoke with Mxxxxx. He recommended that I return the laptop via EasyServ because that would be faster than returning the laptop and then re-ordering the same one. He assured me that the display and wireless card replacement would be no problem. I had no preference besides needed the laptop as soon as possible for my work. If I had been advised to return the laptop at this point, I would not be having any problems right now.

My work goes on break for most of December, so the EasyServ box was waiting for me when I got back. The case number was 9022C96. I loaded the laptop into the box and sent it in. I waited for more than a week with no news, so I called in at 1-800-887-7435. They said that I should have received a phone call (I didn't) saying that the repairs for the display will cost more than $700. Of course, that's unacceptable. It's a brand new laptop that's having a manufacturing defect fixed. I wouldn't think that's unusual or a big deal.

I was told to call tech support for more help. 800.426.7366, got Jxxxxx. He was nice, but unhelpful. All he could say was that the EasyServ techs said the display wasn't covered under warranty and that I should call sales.

I called sales 866.968.4465 and got Jxxxxx. I recounted my story for the 4th time. He said that since the laptop is now outside the 21 day return window that there's nothing he can do. He gives me another number to call.

I call the number, 8004267378. I get Kxxxxx in Georgia. He gives me a new case number A02KC2H. I sit on hold for 30 minutes waiting for another guy named Jxxxxx. Instead, Kxxxxx and Jxxxxx confer in private and Kxxxxx tells me what they came up with. He says that he needs to escalate this to the "Hotline Team" and get a "Resolution Manager" on the line. He assures me that I have a strong case and that Wxxxxx will get back to me in 24-48 Hours.

The Bottom Line

I've been on and off the phone trying to get this resolved for 5 hours. I've been passed cold several times, and have waited on hold for at least an hour. It shouldn't be this hard to have a manufacturing defect corrected. This is a business laptop, and I don't have time for this run-around.

I hope this gets some attention from Lenovo because I like your laptops and would like to buy more. I make the hardware purchases for my whole company and I'm trying to move us over to getting thinkpads. If this is what it's going to be like when we need repairs though, I can't recommend you.

If anyone from Lenovo is watching: Help? Please make this go away?

moderator note: removed employee names for the sake of privacy per our community participation guidelines.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: New Thinkpad T420S defective. Lenovo said to return via EasyServ, sent bill to repair new laptop

I'd keep calling support and asking them to repair it. Iterate repeatedly that this was the condition as received from factory.

Hopefully one of the Lenovo staff can help you with your situation.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Bit Torrent
ThorsHammer

Re: New Thinkpad T420S defective. Lenovo said to return via EasyServ, sent bill to repair new laptop

The first mistake was trying to repair to start with.  Any defects inside 21 days are an automatic return for me.  Second, if you opened the case and shipped the machine before the 21 day period expired, then a return and full refund should still be available.  If you opened the case but didn't ship before the 21st day due to holiday, then that starts to get into dicey territory.

Why the $700 charge?  They claim you damaged the machine after receipt?

Retired Employee
Serge1410

hey simonbp,

apologies on what is happening here. could you pm me the following details.

Name:
Mobile:
Email:
MTM [machine type model]:

(To locate MTM - http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/FindProductNumber.page#find)

Serial Number (S/N):
Date of Purchase:
Case/Order Number : (if any)

Screenshot of Error(if applicable) : (upload it to a hosting site and paste the link here)

Location of unit : Home / Repair Center (delete where appropriate)

Description of issue :

Troubleshooting Taken : (if any)

What You would like us to do :

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Punch Card
EGlasheen

$700 is the norm for replacing a display @ Lenovo depot. The same thing happened to me and my x120e. Lenovo has several approval steps that must be completed before a warrantied computer is repair. Your computer purchased new is covered and your display will be repaired at no charge. It just takes awhile to process.

I recommend a couple of things... don't take no for an answer. If not satisfied, escalate. A higher level of customer relations solved my issue with a priority replacement, a new X102e from China (my replacement display was back-ordered). My brand new X120e is flawless.

There seems to be display issues with the display makers. I do not think they are keeping up with the demand. I had to return my iPad 2 and Macbook Air because of faulty displays. Apple was much faster replacing my items as they swapped it at the store.

The next time I buy a Lenovo, T430u, I will purchase the highest level of warranty. The extra money is worth it.

I hope the display makers stop allowing "B" rated monitors into the market and develop better ways of manufactoring. I would pay extra to have a perfect display. Sager has that option.

Good Luck,

Ed 

Fanfold Paper
simonbp

Hi Serge1410,

I've PMed you the details you asked for. I hope you can help with this drama :smileyhappy:

Fanfold Paper
simonbp

[ Edited ]

Hi ThorsHammer,

I completely agree, I should have returned the laptop.  However, since this is my first laptop purchase with Lenovo, I was trusting the Lenovo Support Rep to know what he was talking about. He recommended I send the laptop in for repair since that would be faster. He obviously didn't know what he was talking about.

If he had just told me to return the laptop, I would have been able to return it within the 21 day window and I wouldn't be in this mess. Next time I'll know better.

I honestly don't understand the $700 charge and no one with Lenovo could/would explain it to me. It's not a problem with the display that I could possibly have caused. I don't know how they're justifying pinning it on me. It's so obviously a manufacturing defect.

802.11n
icantux

Just to say I found myself in a similar situation a few years back and if it were not for the extremely helpful and wonderful Lenovo representatives in these forums I would be in a pickle. So kudos and gratitude to all the great Lenovo reps here for intervening and rectifying such issues promptly!!

Having said that, imagine those customers that aren't savvy enough to visit these forums for help!? Doesn't leave a good impression of Lenovo at all!! In my opinion there's much to be done on the side of the support staff to help customers who receive defective laptops on their doorstep (malfunctioning screens, chassis problems, motherboard issues, etc - parts of the system which are not user replaceable).

What's DOS?
LambertJohn

"I honestly don't understand the $700 charge and no one with Lenovo could/would explain it to me. It's not a problem with the display that I could possibly have caused. I don't know how they're justifying pinning it on me. It's so obviously a manufacturing defect."

When they said it would be $700 to repairt, wouldn't your automatic response be..."why?" So what did they say when you asked them why they wanted $700 for the repair? Did you damage the computer in some way?

Fanfold Paper
simonbp

Hi LambertJohn,

Thanks for your reply.

My immediate response was:

-I don't understand

-This was a manufacturing defect. Not only did I not cause it, I could not have caused this defect in the display

The Representative's reply was:

-I don't know anything more than that the Easyserv techs say that the damage to the screen isn't covered under warranty.

Besides some fingerprints and an inventory sticker on the bottom, the computer is in the exact same condition I got it in.