Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
wguttmn

No more support for DVD DL read/writes

I have been a lucky owner of a T400s so far, but as today, I have noticed that I cannot read DL DVDs anymore (nor can I write those). To be honest, it's been ages since I have had a reason to be able to do so, but I definitely know that I have been able to read/write DL DVDs on my T400s before upgrading to Windows 7.

Any idea how to go about this ? I have been browsing through forums and knowledge bases, but wasn't able to find any meaningful procedures.

What kind of information do I need to provide so that somebody might have an ecucated opinion ?

Kind Regards

Werner Guttmann

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: No more support for DVD DL read/writes

hey wguttmn,

just to be sure; you are referring to Dual-Layer DVDs right ?

Anyway, I believe that this might help : http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS001598

If it does not help, could you explain more? Did this occur after upgrading to Win7 ? What was the OS before this ?

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Blue Screen Again
wguttmn

[ Edited ]
Hi,
just to be sure; you are referring to Dual-Layer DVDs right ?

Yes.

Anyway, I believe that this might help : http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS001598

Whilst it is nice to have a version of WinDvd that is newer, this does not resolve the problem.

If it does not help, could you explain more? Did this occur after upgrading to Win7 ? What was the OS before this ?

Actually, here a few symptoms I am observing:

1. If I look at a DL DVD through explorer, I can only see the AUDIO_TS folder. The system doesn't show me the VIDEO_TS folder.
  2. If I try to view a DL DVD through WinDVD, the program simply hangs; it never starts playing the DVD.
  3. If I attach an external Samsung DVD player (which I know is working, as I can use it on e.g. a HP Pavillon incl DL DVDs) via USB, I get a new drive, but the symptoms are still the same.

Does this make it clearer ?

And wrt your last question, I do believe that before my upgrade from Windows Vista (as it came installed) to Windows 7, this worked just fine (but then again, I am not trying to view DL DVDs that frequently).

And one last thing: Nero's Information Tool seems to indicate that the drive has support for DL-R and DL+R (writing and reading).

Regards

Werner

Token Ring
jmstuckman

Hello wguttmn,

I don't have any Lenovo-specific advice for you, but I've seen weird CD-drive behavior caused by buggy third-party software installed on the machine. Because third-party software can install storage filter drivers, the software can disrupt the normal operation of the CD drive even while it's not running.

Once, I had a similar problem with my CD drive (unable to read CD-R media). The problem was caused by iTunes -- when I uninstalled iTunes, the problem went away. Try uninstalling any cd-burning and dvd-burning software, because this software is likely to install filter drivers.

There is a troubleshooting tool from Microsoft for CD drive problems; maybe this troubleshooting tool will disable bad filter drivers automatically. It's worth a try: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us