Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
dnndev

OS disk or partition

I recently purchased a T410 32 bit win 7 laptop.  I understand you can 'simply' re-install windows 7 and select the 64 bit option during the setup process.

My question:

Does my new lenovo T410 come with installation disks or is the OS installer a hard drive partition?

Has anyone tried what I am planning on doing?

Thank you.

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 111
Solutions: 108

Re: OS disk or partition

There is no CD/DVD's included so everything is stored on the harddisk. The OS installation is stored in a separate partition on the harddisk, but you can create your own set of recovery disks/OS installation DVD's. There is an option to create your own set of recovery DVD's included with the PC.

I'm not really sure if i understand what you plan to do? Are you saying that you bought 32 bit Windows, but want to install 64 bit Windows?

-gan

Ctrl-Alt-Del
dnndev

Re: OS disk or partition

Yes - The laptop I purchased comes with WIN 7 32 bit.  

I read this online which leads me to believe that I may be able to re-install windows 7 as 64 bit:

"Windows 7 is available in both 32-bit (x-86) and 64-bit(x-64) versions. The Windows 7 package that you buy includes both 32-bit and 64-bit installation discs. Though all computers are compatible with 32-bit Windows, not all are compatible with 64-bit Windows."

http://techblissonline.com/32-bit-64-bit-windows-7/

This may not be the case with OEM copies of win7?

Thanks.