Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
GiedriusZ

Re: OS freeze and force shutdown

I've tried running MemTest. I ran it for a couple of hours (~10 tests) and it passed all of them. But right after that during the Windows boot I received this BSOD:

http://i53.tinypic.com/28mk0vq.jpg

I found out that dtsoftbus01.sys is related to Daemon Tools so I booted up in Safe Mode, uninstalled the thing - no more BSOD. But as soon as chose to login using the fingerprint reader the computer got stuck again. I reboot, choose to enter the username manually, type in the details and the OS gets frozen again on the Welcome Screen.

After running sfc /scannow and chkdisk in Safe Mode I didn't know what to do but restore to defaults using Rescue & Recovery (but that would totally wipe the thing out destroying my PostgreSQL database which would kind of suck). So I gave it another chance and tried the option of starting Windows with last known good configuration that worked. And what do you know - it did boot up and I finally got to logon, although I don't know if my system is now stable or not..

Here's the report from WhoCrashed:

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Thu 2011.09.15 01:00:12 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091511-13072-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dtsoftbus01.sys (dtsoftbus01+0x1308) 
Bugcheck code: 0xC9 (0x23E, 0xFFFFF88001401308, 0xFFFFF98009E14EA0, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION 
Bug check description: This is the bug check code for all Driver Verifier 
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: dtsoftbus01.sys . 
Google query: dtsoftbus01.sys DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION 

Here's the dump file itself:

Crash dump file:        C:\Windows\Minidump\091511-13072-01.dmp
Date/time:              2011.09.15 01:00:12 GMT
Uptime:                 00:00:12
Machine:                
Bug check name:         DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION 
Bug check code:         0xC9
Bug check parm 1:       0x23E
Bug check parm 2:       0xFFFFF88001401308
Bug check parm 3:       0xFFFFF98009E14EA0
Bug check parm 4:       0x0
Probably caused by:     dtsoftbus01.sys
Driver description:     
Driver product:         
Driver company:         
OS build:               
Architecture:           x64 (64 bit)
CPU count:              4
Page size:              4096

Bug check description:
This is the bug check code for all Driver Verifier 

Comments:
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. 
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: dtsoftbus01.sys . 

Kernel stack from WhoCrashed:

nt+0x7CC40
nt+0x5063DC
0x000000C9
0x0000023E
dtsoftbus01+0x1308
0xFFFFF98009E14EA0

I also have uploaded the .xml,.dmp and the BSOD screenshot:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/c91q1c

ThinkPad T520 i5-2410M(2.3GHz), 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HD, 15.6in 1600x900 LCD, NVIDIA NVS 4200M 1GB
Token Ring
jmstuckman

That bluescreen is definately caused by a bug in the Daemon Tools virtual device driver. The same bug could have also caused 10-minute freezes. Do you have any additional problems? If not, I would attribute the problem to Daemon Tools and consider it solved.

Punch Card
GiedriusZ

I have completely got rid of the Daemon Tools and still had the freeze ...

I'ts really starting to annoy me. I'll probably go for the R&R restore thing and see if that happens with the freshly reinstalled OS.

I have one question about R&R. Will it wipe out both partition or just the root partition which is C:\? I'm gonna move some files to partition D:\ and then restore my fresh Windows installation.

ThinkPad T520 i5-2410M(2.3GHz), 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HD, 15.6in 1600x900 LCD, NVIDIA NVS 4200M 1GB
Token Ring
jmstuckman

I'm not sure about the R&R thing. I've heard of people who have had trouble with R&R when there were multiple partitions on the hard drive though.

Punch Card
GiedriusZ

I ended up completely reinstalling the Windows (I purchased my ThinkPad with DOS only, since I had the license key from my old laptop, which I kind of regret now because it didn't have the hidden recovery partition..). I opened up the System Update and it found a whole bunch of drivers that weren't install at first (last time it mostly was utilities and the nVidia Optmus driver, now there was a ton more system drivers etc.)

So I guess the instability of my system came from incompletely installed drivers and missing apps (mostly Intel stuff). So far so good, the system has been running very stable and I think that the battery life is way much better now than it was before (Before the reinstall it was about 1-1.5hrs on Max. Performance and now it's almost 3hrs).

So anyone experienced these freezes, make sure the System Update downloads all the necessary drivers (it should be 20+ something). If it doesn't go to the Lenovo Support site, detect your system and download them manually (especially these Intel AMT ones, chipset and HDD thingies).

Punch Card
Cloakedboltz

I have had several issues with company laptops freezing and removing Lenovo Power Management software (not the driver) seemed to fix it.
Broadband 3G
JDay

GiedriusZ wrote:

I ended up completely reinstalling the Windows (I purchased my ThinkPad with DOS only, since I had the license key from my old laptop,

That license can only legally be used on your old laptop. Not too smart to admit to breaking the law on a public forum.