Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
MattB

Re: Only Widescreen T61s Available Now???

HDOSIBM wrote:

MattB - As mentioned, I am selling this unit. (which I have set to an ultra fuzzy 1024 x 768 resolution). If you want to purchase, I can send you over a PayPal invoice. Also thanks for letting me know about the D530.

I appreciate the offer, but I need a lot of graphics power so I'm really looking for a T61p with the SXGA+ screen (and for anyone looking for one there are a few of them out there from resellers).
Punch Card
LenovoT61B

Why is widescreen so bad?
Ctrl-Alt-Del
HDOSIBM

The unit is outfitted with the SXGA+ screen.............................
T61, 14.1 SXGA+ (Last Of The 4:3), 2.5 Duo Core, 4GB Ram, 160GB 7200 RPM, Intel 1GB Turbo Memory, Vista Business 64 Bit Edition.
Punch Card
MattB

BHerer wrote:

14.1" WXGA+ gives less screen area than 14.1" SXGA+.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
xjessie007

BHerer wrote:

14" XGA is taller than 14" WXGA. If emails, web browsing, and docs is the major use of your laptop/computer, what do you do most of the time? Do you need to scroll left and right, or up and down?
Bit Torrent
wjli2

why worry about something so trivial, there are just not many manufacturers that produce standard aspect ratio machine anymore, kudo to Lenovo for selling the standard aspect ratio for as long as it did........ its called economy of masses, people want good products cheap, you can't resist the mass market, Thinkpads are no longer a niche market product, it is going mainstream with the likes of HP/Compaq and Dell....
Ctrl-Alt-Del
HDOSIBM

Anyone interested in this unit?

Do not want to pay Lenovo 15% restocking fees!

Thanks
T61, 14.1 SXGA+ (Last Of The 4:3), 2.5 Duo Core, 4GB Ram, 160GB 7200 RPM, Intel 1GB Turbo Memory, Vista Business 64 Bit Edition.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
xjessie007

So, I unpacked the "beauty" (T61p, 3GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 1 GB turbo, Vista Home Pro, 14.1 WXGA+), spent two days customizing it ... eee, I do not think this notebook got my heart. Maybe had I bought it before I got my work laptop, I would be happy with it, but now, Lenovo is probably out of my list. Here are a few reasons:
  • The ntb is built well, but the black finish does not like finger prints very much, I have been using the laptop for a few days, and it already looks like some old crappy box.
  • I was complaining about the WXGA+ display, well, after 2 days of customizing anything and everything, I was able to get it to the shape of being able to at least work on it, but it is not perfect. Many things are still much too small.
  • The HDD produces very high frequency noise whenever it goes at full throttle, VERY anoying after a while.
  • I have the 6-cell battery, I am lucky if it can survive at least 2.5 hrs (and I turned off all the garbage Lenovo puts in, my RAM at idle is occupied 700 mb out of 3 GB)
  • This is my first experience with Vista, and I have to say I hate it. Not because of all the anoying popups but because it is very slow and loaded with lots of crap from Lenovo. I have all the graphic effects turned off and still have to wait a fraction of a sec when opening windows, etc. (I am the type of user that hates to wait and everything must be super fast.) Well, I can't blame Lenovo for Vista, but it does not make me much happier.
  • Lenovo sent my laptop to a wrong address. Their customer service is beyond belief, horrible, ridiculous, worse than a bunch of 5yr kids, incapable of anything, hardly speaking any English. Worse experience than with ATT!
Maybe I am spoiled by my work laptop, ok well, in any case, I do not recommend Lenovo. If you want super fast machine with 4-5 hrs of battery life with wireless ON, good looks, and quality build, Dell Latitude D630 with Win XP Pro is a good alternative. That is my work machine and it is way way better than what I just bought. :smileysad: It is faster, more comfortable, better looking, and the battery goes for ever. Vista, it is just glorified piece of s...
Bit Torrent
wjli2

xjessie2007, the fingerprint part of your comments should be related to the black rubber finish on the top of the screens, while the Dell Latitude system should have a smooth magnesium casing. The reason that the rubber finish is still there is for the benefit of the corporate users, whom travel alot between their office desks and their conference room without their laptop bag. These people just carry their laptop in one of their their hand, some people sweat alot in their hands, which when using the magnesium or regular ABS plastics cover may reduce frictional resistance, like car losing grip when the road is wet, causing in many cases the laptop to slip out of your hand and dropping it.

Also Dell's keyboards are no match for Thinkpad's Keyboard, many people buy Thinkpads just for the keyboard experience. No one have a better keyboard then Thinkpads.

Additionally have you tried upgrading a dell latitude laptop with Ram or open it up before??? it is truly a once in a life experience, you think parachuting is scary, wait to you try to upgrade a dell. Just read this post and there are pictures relating to the whole process.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3750&review=Dell+Latitude+D630

The Dell's power adapter for some reason are bigger than the pint size Lenovo adapter. My 17 inch XPS dell have a power supply that weighs nearly 1.2 kg, the Alienware (owned by dell) also have this sized power supply, with some proper training i think i use it like the medieval knights using their mourning star mace...

I am not sure about Dell laptop's look, no one ever have said a dell laptop looked good, maybe it is down to an acquired taste, if you stare at a Volvo long enough you may fall in love with the look.

Also Latitude laptop (5.2 pounds) should also be heavier than a comparably specced T series thinkpad (4.7) pounds). The power supply of Dell weighs 0.6 pound and Thinkpads i think is around (0.4 pound).

The Dell has two of its usb slot in the back of the machine, and the VGA/Modem/Ethernet ports are also on the back. I personally hate this setup, as i find the Thinkpads system of placing port on the side far more superior if you fly a lot or have cramped space.

Have a look at the link above and make up your own decisions as to whether you hate or like the Dell's Latitude's look.

I personally think the numerous ports on all sides of the Dell's laptop makes it look messy, the look from above when Latitude laptop is closed is definitely something quite beautiful, but when its opened the keyboard layout look like a mess just like my old Compaq EVO N1020V...
Bit Torrent
wjli2

Here is some responses people made about the Dell Latitude laptops, as you see from these response, those find the laptop okay seldomly say more than a few words. But those people whom seem to dislike it for some reasons, always post quite a long response about ways in which it fails. Most of the owners whom have problems would seek a support site like this and post about their problems, if new owners don't have any problems then they would most likely have better things to do then to post praises about how good their laptops are.

http://www.notebookreview.com/price/default.asp?cmd=previous&callingPage=2

Check out the warranty support of Dell as one person describes it.

You should make rational decisions about laptop purchase based on your needs and budgets.... For most people Dells and Thinkpads stand out as the most logical choice for laptop purchases, each has their pros and cons.