Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
goodde
Accepted Solution

Problem with T500 Intel 5300 AGN WiFi resolved......

I finally found the solution to my problem today, and I'm posting this information in hopes that someone can verify in their environment what I found in mine.  Also in hopes that it will save someone else the weeks of effort it took me to resolve.

To recap, my problem was that I was unable to stream audio or video either from my LAN or from the internet without losing connectivity frequently or permanently.  This problem began when several months ago I updated my laptop to Win 7 Professional from Vista Business.  I didn't experience the problem under Vista. 

Today I determined the problem was that I am running mixed mode on my LAN which apparently is not supported by the Win 7 driver for the Intel 5300.  My router is the D-Link DIR-655 which is an 802.11n router capable of being configured for mixed mode support.  I am running it configured for n and g support since my wife's laptop only supports g.  I booted up my laptop today and began an audio stream from my server and to my surprise it worked beautifully, just like it should.  I listened for a while and suddenly the music began skipping.  I noticed that my wife had just booted her laptop about the same time the skips began.  On a long shot I went into the advanced configuration of the 5300 and disabled 802.11n support forcing it to disconnect and reconnect at 54Mbps.  That action restored my audio stream immediately, and I proceded to test by exercising several LAN and WAN connectivity actions (browser, email, etc.) that previously guaranteed a discontinuity in the stream.  Everything continued to work exactly as you would expect.

I still feel the problem is with the 5300 driver rather than my router because to resolve the issue I disabled 802.11n on the 5300, not on the router.  The D-Link is still operating in mixed 802.11 g/n mode.  Also, I have a Lenovo T61 laptop that also has an Intel WiFi AGN adapter although of a different model.  That laptop operates in n mode with no problems whatsoever connecting through the same D-Link router.

I hoping that someone else on this forum can reproduce my results in their LAN/WAN environment to confirm that there is a problem with the currently available Win 7 driver for the 5300.  Thanks to the Lenovo technicians who spent several hours on the phone with me and even sent me a new 5300 adapter at one time thinking that might be the problem.

billbolton
Topics: 69
Kudos: 205
Solutions: 105

Re: Problem with T500 Intel 5300 AGN WiFi resolved......

goodde wrote:

My router is the D-Link DIR-655 which is an 802.11n router capable of being configured for mixed mode support. 

The DIR-655 only operates in the 2.4GHz WiFi band (you can see that in the product manual - Frequency Range 2.4GHz to 2.483GHz) and is not fully  802.11n Draft 2 compliant, and so will not achieve 802.11n speed with the Intel WiFi cards which are fully 802.11n Draft 2 compliant.

In 802.11n Draft 2, based on field experience, the IEEE 802.11n Working Group specified that bonded channel operation should only take place in the 5GHz WiFi band and 802,11n operation in the 2.4GHz band created too many other issues for 802.11b/g operation in that band.  This is also reflected in the recently ratified/published 802.11n specification.

So the problem IS your router, not the Intel cards, or Windows 7 drivers. 

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
daspader

I have the same problem with T400 win7 ultimate 64 bit.  The comment about the 2.4 ghz is interesting, I need to check if the linksys N router I tested has same limit, though had I not read that, I would have turned it off.  Cinder block house and the higher frequencies have not played well historically.  ( i miss my 46 mhz phone, worked in every room, but I digress )

In my case, no problem with speed, but after some period the T400 5300 card stops responding.  If I disable N on it, it jumps to G and works fine.  I have other N clients ( non 5300 ) and they do not have this issue.  

The comment about 2.4ghz compatibility is probably partially correct, but the card should not stop responding.  Since other devices are still working, it seems unlikely it is only a router problem.  that being said, since I have the same dir-655, that bodes ill except the linksys I tried had same problem, except the linksys only worked for a few minutes instead of an hour or so.

Additional evidence to support this is my experience is that mine also worked in vista, but fails in windows 7.  I have not tried the vista driver series in windows 7.

That was how I solved my 3507g gsm wireless problems by loading the vista load.  I was unable to run the att connection manager ( free wifi basic ) with the win7 drivers loaded.  Using the vista drivers breaks my fn f5 control of the gsm modem, but connection manager can see the modem, so this does not matter ( to me )

-js

billbolton

daspader wrote:

also worked in vista, but fails in windows 7

If you have a newly installed OS you should go into both the Intel card driver properties and the Advanced Configuration selection in your  Access Connections profiles, and make sure that any power management of the card is disabled, plus that any Maximum Performance (or similar) modes are set.

This has been described many, many times on various on-line forums, and applies equally to XP, Vista and Win 7

Cheers,

Bill

I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
daspader

Actually, I had better luck reducing the transmit power and setting high performance graphics ( which made hotter and made fan run more ).  Suspected 5300 was overheating.  I think you are probably right about the dual band stuff and this is a side effect from it trying to be compatible.

Also, sleeping and resume would reset the lockup problem as would switching active access points, but switching wifi on/off via soft or hard switch would not reset the lockup problem ( which made me think was access point at first ).

Some sort of issue between 5300 and single band 802.11n which I am sure will be 'non supported configuration' aka we are not going to fix / workaround.  

If you know of a known working ( ie yours ) with dual band and 5300 wifi, I will start shopping.  

Paper Tape
luckygoodheart

I had this same problems for months with the Dir 655 and the Intel 5100/T400 on Vista in 40 MHz (channel bonded). It wouldn't stream music and HDTV (Windows Media center files) from my server to my T400. It would start - then the connection would degrade and finally stop. It drove me nuts. It worked fine with the 5100 set to 20 MHz - but not 40 MHz.

After months of fiddling, I stumbled upon the suggestion with regards to Wireless Power Saving mode in the Power Config options - setting it to maximum. The other thing I did was in the router config option, under "Advanced", I unchecked "Extra Wireless Protection". Bingo, 100% stable in 40 MHz. I get wireless transfer rates of up to 10 MB (megabytes) to my server. Streaming recorded TV to my T400 is perfect, even at longer distances using WPA2/AES security. Works perfectly with Windows 7 and Vista. I don't recall a wireless drop on my T400 in months.

The other thing I can suggest with regards to the Router, if you are using firmware 1.11 or 1.21, do not upgrade the firmware. DLink has released some pretty bad firmware versions after 1.21. If you did upgrade to 1.3X firmware, make sure you flash the latest DLink firware, 1.32 beta 9. It is the most stable firmware they have released in months. If you do upgrade the firmware, make sure you manually enter your config in the router (don't import it from an older version). You can find the firmware here...

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=9246.0

Lastly, if you have many wireless networks in your area, live in a condo or apartment building, you should select a wireless channel on your router that is leased used in your area to avoid interferance. I use a program called "inSSIDer" to check what channels others wierless networks are operating, then select the least used channel for my own. This has helped with regards to stabilty using 40 MHz.

With regards to the gentleman who mentioned that Wireless N not working well with 2.4GHz band because it is not Draft 2.0 compliant. I can report - it works absolutely fine for me. I can even stream blu-ray wirelessly to my T400 from the Dir 655 from about 10 feet. The 2.4 GHz band has limited channels available, so when you use 40 MHz channel bonding, you aren't neccesarily impacting your performance, you are hurting your nearest neighbours performance - you are hogging all the bandwidth. This is why they recommend using 5 GHz - more channels, less impact on your neighbours. I've spoken to many of my neighbours - none do anything more than surf the net. So they haven't noticed any impact. However, when I do purchase a new router - it will be 5 GHz to avoid the whole interferce issue.

Paper Tape
daspader

Ok, over 24 hours now with no issues, 2.4ghz and full 270/300 rate.  As with the GSM card, I tried loading the latest intel 5300 vista driver and poof, no issues.

I decided to do this after testing with some dual band routers.  I noticed that it worked fine on 5ghz, but if locked to 2.4 it had issues with all routers.  It also worked fine with dlink USB N adapter on 2.4ghz.  

Since it had worked in vista with 2.4ghz, I decided to try that driver, and was able to put all settings back to full ( transmit power, optimizations, etc ).

13.0.0.107? seems to have a driver bug for 2.4ghz.  Exact version is 12.4.4.5.  So far I have not found any side effects ( besides no freezes or lockups on the 5300 ).

So, hope this works for others, Hopefully, next driver release will resolve it, but mine is working fine for now.

-j

What's DOS?
traderron

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem and am also using the same router, the D-Link DIR-655, and have a Dell laptop using the Intel 5300 AGN.  So the problem is also on other laptop brands. I think you are right, it is something with the Intel 5300 driver.  I was able to replicate increased stability using g mode only on the Intel 5300. My HP laptops work fine and run consistently at 300 mps without any disconnections. 

So, Bill, it is not just the router, even though, I agree the router is not state of the art in running at 5 ghz.

I hope Intel gets this message and fixes the issue. It is very annoying.

Paper Tape
daspader

I got it work reliably with N at 80% transmit power with linksys and dlink 2.4ghz N routers and the vista driver.  At full power it would bluescreen after some period of heavy use, so sounds like overheating, may try custom heat sink.

However, in 5ghz mode it does not do this, so I finally picked up a linksys wrt610n which supports both bands simultaneously.  Most of the N routers force you to choose a band.  Fixes at home, but on the road worried about when a hotspot has a 2.4ghz N site.  Hopefully the next windows 7 5300 driver will fix it.  Annoying because I paid extra for 5300 over 5100.  

billbolton

daspader wrote:

Hopefully the next windows 7 5300 driver will fix it.  Annoying because I paid extra for 5300 over 5100.  

Since WIn 7 5300 drivers are truly 802.11n compliant,  don't expect to see any change in the default settings  to make it work with non-compliant 802.11n devices.

Cheers,

Bill

I don't work for Lenovo