Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
RUFO

Problem with t420 Recovery discs

HI! I am hoping to get some help here, i have a t420 with (had) windows 7 professional 64 bit. For a time now i had veen wanting to install ubuntu alongside windows as a dual boot but i had no dvd burner to make the recovery discs from lenovo. FInally i got an external dvd burner an created the recovery discs (1 boot cd and 2 data dvd's). So i used them to recover the system to it' s factory sate and PROBLEM! it won' t compete the recovery as it says, at about 99% of the progress that the dvd lacks of resources, then the process finishes and asks me to remove the recovery media fomr the dvd rom, initailizes windows but it doesn' t complete and it restars and the same history continues....

SO my quesitons are :

1, How can i get some recovery discs for my lenovo??? D:

2. I red somewhere that i ca get a windows 7 " generic"  installer and use the serial number of my t420 to get myu system back, is it really an option?

THank you all for reading!!

Paper Tape
RUFO

Re: Problem with t420 Recovery discs

UPDATE: i' am using ubuntu form a usb bootable stick and as i browse my documents i cansee the win7 partition and also the lenovo recoveyr partition, can i still use that partition??
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

RUFO wrote:

2. I red somewhere that i ca get a windows 7 " generic"  installer and use the serial number of my t420 to get myu system back, is it really an option?

Yes.  You can download and instal a "vanilla" Microsoft windows 7 and activate with your existing key.  You may need to use the phone option to complete the activation.  Also, the version you download must match the version you already have/had: HP, Pro, or Ultimate.  32 or 64 bits doesn't matter.

Legal Resources for Downloading Windows 7

Z

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

nibs
Topics: 43
Kudos: 143
Solutions: 39

The Vanilla Win 7 may not include many of the system specific drivers. After you have finished installing, you may need to initially use a wired connection to visit: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=TVSU-UPDATE and download ThinkVantage System Update. You may need to install drivers, reboot, and run system update a few times. Once you are fully updated, you should be able to safely switch to wireless.

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.

My TPs: Twist 2HU: i5-3317U Win 8 Pro, 4GB RAM 250GB Samsung 840 | T420 4177CTO: i5-2520M, HD+, Win 7 Pro x64, 8GB RAM, Optimus, 160GB Intel 320 SSD, Intel 6300 WiFi, BT 3.0 | T400 2764CTO: P8700, WXGA, Win 7 Ult x64, AMD 3470, 8GB RAM, 64GB Samsung SSD, BT, Intel 5300 WiFi | A20m 14.1" PIII 500 (retired). Monitors: 2x Dell U2211h IPS 100% sRGB calibrated w/ Spyder3.
Bit Torrent
tripplec

RUFO wrote:

1, How can i get some recovery discs for my lenovo??? D:

THank you all for reading!!

Have you called Lenovo? They can send you a factory set.

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
Paper Tape
RUFO

HI, first of all thank you all very much for your rapid response.

Second, in regards to calling lenovo i want it to be my last option as i' am a student and live in mexico and had a loot of trouble buying my pc as it is from outlet.lenovo.com and an unkle of mine helped me with the credit card to buy. THis menas i don' t have a physical adress in the us and i know it is necesary for them to ship me anything...so it' s my last option., or mya e i' am missing something??

ON the other hand i was able to download the win 7 retail dvd's but i have a question, where do i find my win7 key????

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

I think the key is in the main battery compartment on your machine.  Remove the battery and have a look.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Paper Tape
RUFO

Thanks a lot!!! I' ll hopelly will declare tomorrow that my problem it' s solve, thank you all!

Paper Tape
RUFO

Hi! So i finished the insallation of the vanilla win7, now i can't connect to internet because the device manager can't detect the network card (?). The thing is i need to connect to internet to download drivers and updates, if i download thinkvantage will it come with the t420 drivers???

Broadband 3G
JDay

That last disc the recovery was asking for was an optional disc that contains MS Office if I am not mistaken. You can skip it and the installation will complete.