Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Andy_7575

Re: R400/T400/T500/W500: display driver "amdkmdap" crashes

I was having the issues of resolution resetting to the screen minimum, and windows resizing/losing maximized status between dock/undock cycles.

These days, I'm running Windows 7 RTM (i.e. the full version that will be on store shelves in October, not a release candidate or a beta), so I've had to disable switchable graphics altogether.

Token Ring
Izmi

Andy_7575: You're totally right. To keep it with Lenovo, I announce the birthday late. :smileyindifferent:

MIGR70490

Punch Card
bri0831

We just ordered 15 licenses for Win 7 Pro and I downloaded it last night from MS.

Might end up rolling along with 64 bit Win 7, disable the switchable as they don't have a driver for it and go with straight up discrete ATI and call it a day. Then maybe I can get some real work done, and switch between machines on my KVM without chaos (like it used to be!!)

My transition from T61 to T500 was and still is a complete waste of my time. Never had to wait over a year for working drivers. These things are not the good ol IBM ThinkPad's of years past, not even close....

T430s (current), T420s, ThinkStation S20
Punch Card
Andy_7575

One thing I should probably mention, I've been out of town a lot lately, so I didn't have a chance to test Windows 7 with my DVI monitor until last week.  When I did test it, I discovered that for some reason Windows 7 loses the dual monitor display configuration between every dock/undock cycle.  I still think the upgrade is worth it from an OS perspective, but not from a fixing display issues perspective.

Serial Port
jordan_moss

Best call I made was to give up on it and do a clean install with latest catalyst drivers using Mobility Modder and run in "Discrete" mode.

When I am in the field and require extended battery life I just reboot the machine enter BIOS and change to “Integrated”.

Since doing this my machine has never BSOD’d and is running strong.

I have just completed a week of testing with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 RTM using Catalyst drivers and have not had any issues so migrating across this weekend.

Still have outstanding BIOS bug resulting in boot issues with Advanced Dock 250310U requiring hot dock when I see the Lenovo splash enter BIOS then exit otherwise it doesn’t boot and poor Bluetooth range when lid is closed but I have learned to live with this :smileysad:

I will have my spare test hard drive waiting should Lenovo release Win7 switchable drivers that work but not holding my breath.

What's DOS?
taphone

I had this problem on my T500 machine until I disabled the ATI card in the bios. I have the latest bios and drivers, tried not using aero etc. By the way I am not using an external monitor and it still did it. It hasn't been discussed much, but I think this could be a hardware problem relating to the video chip overheating. It behaves like a video card I tried in a media center machine I built with a small stereo receiver type cabinet. I choose a chip without a cooling fan so the system would be quiet.  I had to I installed additional cabinet fans and ventilation holes to stop the chip from over heating and locking up. This could explain why there apparently aren't any soft ware drivers that solve the problem.  Increased performance equals increased heat.

HDMI
firaX

Have you guys noticed there are Switchable GPU drivers for Win7 out now? Check the "Win7BETA" page. They are called "AMD M8x switchable". The ATI part is even quite new, it seems. Working for me using win7 PM 2.43 (old, but i did not dare to try 3.01a on Win7 as someone reported it not working with switchable graphics).

Unfortunately, i cannot test your issues as i have no external monitor / docking station. But you guys should really test the Win7 drivers in any case!

Thinkpad T400 (Windows 7 Ultimate x64)
What's DOS?
cody2

I've tested the new Win7Beta-drivers, and the issue reproduces itself, quite easily.

However, i found that I only every experienced the problem while scrolling on the trackpoint-buttons (the top ones). So i uninstalled the UltraNav drivers from my Win7RTM 64-bit - W500 - 4063 and since then, the issue hasn't been seen. Same thing on a colleagues machine.

So i guess we're now just waiting for new UltraNav drivers and will have to cope with the ridiculous built-in scrolling interface and not being able to disable the trackpad from within Windows, on-demand.

Anyways, just wanted to share that with you guys. Let me know if this helps anyone and spread the word :smileyhappy:

Punch Card
bri0831

So check this out.

I installed my volume license copy of Win7 Pro 64 bit last week. Everything working like a champ. Minimal drivers from the lenovo Win7 drivers page. only silly stuff for the memory card reader, etc.

I had originally left the video alone and let Windows figure it out. Then when I switched between machines there were no video flickers/problems whatsoever.

So today I got the bright idea to add the ATI & switchable drivers from the lenovo Win7 drivers site.

Well it worked pretty good, although I did get one screen flicker when switching to a different PC on my KVM and one flicker when switching back to the T500. But not 3 screen flashes like on Vista.

So, I formatted my Win 7 drive and will reinstall it again just like i did last week, but this time NO ATI FROM LENOVO, no matter what!!!!!!!

T430s (current), T420s, ThinkStation S20
Community SuperMod
bananaman

The link on the Windws 7 beta drivers page was renamed "ThinkPad Switchable Graphics Driver".

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!