Support in other languages: 
HDMI
firaX

Re: Really Hardware Failure? T404 often doesnt come back from Standby

Hamco, my problem is, the issue ONLY occurs on bios 2.03 and 2.07. Any older Bios i had on the machine worked absolutely fine. I put my machine in standby a few times a day, and absolutely NEVER had it freeze , beep or crash until i updated to 2.03/2.07. Thus, i downgraded to 1.20, and the issue disappeared (for a month), then 2.07 came out, i updated, and it came back, albeit not as often (about once out of 5 standbys compared to almost ALL standbys on 2.03).

I am personally convinced something in the new bios either has a bug, or conflicts with something else on my system. My system has the latest drivers, hotfixes and lenovo software installed (including Power manager 2). 

So i really dont know what else to try than play with bios settings, which i am atm testing. 

Since disabling Intel TXT it has not reoccured yet! I will test more during the day. 

PS: I am pretty sure the beeps, even though they re supposedly motherboard/dimm related are more of a false alarm and/or bug. If the hardware was broken, i would get the beeps on bios 1.20 as well, however i never get a single beep on the old bios. Lenovo had another beep problem, AMT related, that was fixed in 2.03 (see changelog), i argue that that fix MIGHT have created another issue for some people (including me and the OP). 

Thinkpad T400 (Windows 7 Ultimate x64)
Punch Card
tassilo

so. i work with v1.20 the last 2 days and had never again the error. thank you very much for the tipp firax.

i will stay on this BIOS version till a new one comes out which definitly fix that error. im not that familiar with all those security things and i neither know what AMT or intel TXT is :smileywink: thats why i think its not that important to upgrade yet.

nethertheless. my TPM chip is activated.

HDMI
firaX

Well, the issue is i don't think the lenovo bios programmers even know of this thread. I wish an admin would send a copy of this thread over to whoever tests/programs the bios. There is definitely a BUG in the new bios that happens for SOME people. I assume it might just be a compatibility issue with CERTAIN configurations.

tassilo, what specs does your thinkpad have? 

Mine is: P8400 C2D, 250GB WD 5400RPM hdd, 4GB ram (original lenovo), LED display, SwitchableGraphics. 

Punch Card
tassilo

Re: Really Hardware Failure? T400 often doesnt come back from Standby

[ Edited ]

I have a german topseller modell: NM3TDGE (2765-TDG) with vista business instead XP Pro installed.

Original description: P8600(2.4GHz), 2GB RAM, 250GB 5400rpm HD, 14.1in 1440x900 LCD, 256MB ATI Radeon HD3470, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn wireless, Bluetooth, Modem, 1GB Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, Fingerprint reader, 6c Li-Ion, WinXP Pro

Moderator note: typo in title corrected

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 23-03-2009 09:55 AM
HDMI
firaX

I am still testing 2.07. So far disabling "Intel TXT" (it s under AMT in bios) has not resulted in a second crash/beep. However, 2.07 crashes were very unpredictable in the first place, so i have to test some more.
What's DOS?
cfry

One of the computers I support in our customer service department starting exhibiting this behaviour last week.  After reading all the posts here, I went and looked at it. 

The machine is a T400, XPSP3, custom image deployed from Image UltraBuilder.  All the essential ThinkVantage pieces are installed (Hotkey, ACCON, PowerMangaer,PM Driver, etc)  It is on BIOS 2.03.

The System Update prompted for 2.07, which I did not install.  

Here is what I did.  As of 24 hours, the system is working fine, so we will see how it works long term.

-Uninstalled PM Driver / Power Manager

-Restarted into BIOS.  Here I checked all the security chip settings.  It was set on Deactivated.  Before closing out the BIOS, I hit F9 and reloaded the defaults for everything.

-Upon reboot the system slept and woke with no issues.

-Upon reinstall of Power Manager and PM Driver, the system slept and woke with no issues.

What I did notice was a Microsoft update that came down immediately.  It was an update for an IBM PM device.  I thought this was suspicious.  A brief glance at the date showed that this particular update was released in 2003.  I assume that when I removed the PM Driver, it also removed this update, which I believe was installed last week.

Based on my experience with this issue, it seems that the MS update could be the culprit.  Whether that update applies to the Vista machines, I don't know.  I didn't think to write down the update KB number.  If I can get my hands on the computer again, I will get that info and do some testing with it.

On a side note, my machine is a T400 running Vista Business 64.  I have had this happen to me twice, but it is random, so I suspect these issues are unrelated.  I am current on all updates on my machine.

Hope this helps.

HDMI
firaX

I cleared the TPM several times, also reinstalled the PM interface. For vista it does not get overwritten with a MS driver or anything.

I just had a weird thing happen, too. During a reboot (when the machine was almost ready to shut down) i got the beep sequences too, and ultimately had to press power to power down completely....

There is hardly more i can do. I might just take my laptop in and see if maybe the issue is hardware related after all. However, the fact that a simple bios downgrade fixes this supports my claim that lenovo simply has a bug in their bios (and noone cares).