Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
jedavis99

Recomendations for an esata external drive for T410 2516-CTO

I am assessing external esata drives for expansion for backup and storage of photos/music/business files. I want (my definition of need) a 500GB-1TB capacity, prefer 7200RPM. I've reviewed and dismissed going with an USB 3.0 Expresscard34 and USB 3.0 drive.  I don't currently work with video files so I dont have a pressing need to handle large files, but generally larger quantities of smaller files. I understand the USB 3.0 claims but today it seems simpler and easier to go with esata for a variety of reasons especially effective, real-world throughput/performance. I don't pay much attention to the 10X, etc. claims of USB 3.0 and the benchmarks I've seen seem to support that view.

I would like to have a "mobile" drive, but have come to believe that isn't readily available except for the Lenovo 500GB and the LaCie.  I've looked at LaCie, Fantom, Seagate Western Digital, G-Technology and the Lenovo Secure 500GB esata drive. I don't have any concerns about the T410 not having an esatap connection, I'm happy with an A/C adapter and/or USB connection for power to an esata drive.

I'm running Win 7-64, i7 M 620  2.67 GHz processor, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA NVS 3100M video, 500Gb 7200 RPM HDD, Qualcomm Gobi 2000HS-USB Mobile Broadband.

So, will my current system configuration effectively use anything faster then the Lenovo 500GB and is 5400 RPM sufficient to drive optimal transfer speeds to the external esata drive? I believe the T410 esata is a 150MB version which appears to be more than enough for my needs. I don't plan to go SSD or to RAID enclosures with multiple drives. I'm just a simple user looking for an optimal buy. This should be easier:smileyhappy:

I would appreciate any suggestions, corrections or recommendations on my assessment to date and what drives others might recommend. I don't claim to be an expert, I've only tried to sumarize what I've researched.

Thanks for your help.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: Recomendations for an esata external drive for T410 2516-CTO

[ Edited ]

This may be at a bit of a tangent, but here's my $.02:

I like an external USB/eSATA enclosure with my choice of standard internal drives installed.  The Rosewill enclosure is working well for me.  It has a built-in fan with a switch, so it can be left silent if the drive runs cool enough. I have to initialize a new drive in USB mode then run in eSATA, but that's no big deal, and seems to be a common quirk.

I'm using a Samsung 2TB drive in my enclosures.  This particular drive is 5400RPM, but can still maintain transfer speeds close to 100 MB/sec while running nice and cool.  That's when connected to my i7 desktop.  W/the T400 I have to use an external eSATA card, which seems to be limited by the cardbus interface to somewhat less than full capability.  Hopefully your T410 doesn't have that bottleneck - I can't speak to that.

Rosewill RX-358-S BLK (Black) 3.5" SATA to USB & eSATA Ext. Enclosure w/Int.80mm fan

SAMSUNG EcoGreen F3 HD203WI 2TB 5400 RPM

That HD is currently out of stock at the 'Egg, but you get the idea.  There are newer 2TB/5400 RPM drives available for $100US or less - or use your preferred 7200RPM drive.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Ctrl-Alt-Del
jedavis99

Re: Recomendations for an esata external drive for T410 2516-CTO

Thanks for your info it's helpful and I'll check out your suggestions!

Fanfold Paper
swanscn

Re: Recommendations for an esata external drive for T410 2516-CTO

I use external HDD's all the time with my T500, on this trip I have 2 of them with me and both work fine.

My small one is a Free Agent Go drive USB2 enclosure with a Seagate 500GB HDD inside, the 2nd is a IOMEGA 1TB USB 3.0 drive. While I do not have a USB3 port on my machine it does connect to the USB ports just fine.

Both of these drives get their power from the USB port so no power cables to carry. The IOMEGA cable has 2 connectors for the PC, this is for those machines that may not give the drive enough power on one port. In my case with the T500 I only need to use the one connection. Additionally, inside both enclosures the drives are Sata2 so that is all good. I would not have gotten a USB3 enclosure if I had to pay a premium for it but in my case I did not.

Another option that I also use is the Ultrabay this machine has a Seagate 750GB HDD as a 2nd internal HDD. I do not use the DVD drive much if at all so this is a excellent option for me.

And of course you last option is build you own, get a 2.5 drive of your liking and find a enclosure and connect they together. My only advice if doing this is get a enclosure that does not require a external power connection (most do not this is just a your mileage will vary notice).