Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
knoedel

[T400] Downgrading the BIOS (T400 2767WSD)? / Display issues with discrete graphics

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I've got a Thinkpad T400 2767WSD (hybrid graphics, ~ 14 months old) and I'm experiencing some weird display problems with the ATI graphics card and the internal LCD since a few weeks (*). The BIOS is the newest version (3.19), installed with the Thinkvantage System Updater.

Maybe these problems result from the new BIOS version (see the changelog for 3.19 - there was something changed with the discrete graphics).

Is it possible to downgrade the BIOS or install an older version (with minimal risks)?

Thanks!

(*) About these problems:

They are visible on all systems (Windows, Linux, even the BIOS itself) when using the ATI graphic card with the internal LCD (ATI + external display or Intel graphics + internal LCD = no problems).

Some colours aren't displayed in the right way (for example the grey in the BIOS or the blue #222E3A). From the distance, they look kind of "dirty" (but only slightly!) and on a closer look you can see, that there are 2 different colours (like the spray can in paint with nearly same colours). This "pattern" doesn't move with the content. It's interesting, that for example the standard colours in paint doesn't seem to be affected - but a lot of colours are (for example while playing hedgewars). Maybe this analogy isn't the best but it looks a bit like displaying a 32 bit image with 16 bit - but affects also areas with only one colour!

Any suggestions/explanations?  Thank you!

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,276

Re: Downgrading the BIOS (T400 2767WSD)? / Display issues with discrete graphics

you can downgrade the bios firmware, it has the same amount of risk as upgrading.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
knoedel

Re: Downgrading the BIOS (T400 2767WSD)? / Display issues with discrete graphics

So the maintained utility will flash the whole BIOS (and not only parts of it, based on its previous version)?

What if the procedure fails? Which parts will have to be replaced (only the ROM or is it fixed on the Mainboard)?

Thanks again!

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,276

if it fails, the entire motherboard.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
knoedel

Thank you and thanks to the Lenovo support hotline!

I installed the BIOS version 3.18 (no errors etc.) and the graphic issues are gone. :smileyhappy:

What's DOS?
AndreDVJ

Re: [T400] Downgrading the BIOS (T400 2767WSD)? / Display issues with discrete graphics

Hello people.

I'm very sorry but I had to bump this. This thread was very useful to me and helped me to solve my problem.

I have a T400 2767-D71 (Has Switchable Graphics, HD3470), and even upgrading the BIOS to the latest version nowadays (3.22) haven't solved the grainy screen problem when using Discrete Graphics.

And downgrading the BIOS to 3.18 solved the problem. That grainy issue, noticed even at bios, at everything that displays shades of gray color, is gone.

Thank you.