Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
omniloathe

T400 Graphic driver change

Hi,I've had the T400 more than a year now and had always been bugged by the display driver 'amdkmdap' crashes ( http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/R400-T400-T500-W500-display-driver-quot-amd... ) . I dont normally play a lot of games, but crashing every few hours is finally getting on my nerve.

I just want to ask some questions:

1) If I were to give up on the switchable graphics driver/functionality from lenovo and use ATI's original drivers, wil lthat fix the crash? If so, anything I need to look out for when installing ATI's own drivers?

2) I'm considering changing to windows 7 if it will help the situation. Will it?

802.11n
lyvwhyr

Re: T400 Graphic driver change

I have run ATI driver on the T61 and T400 have not had any issues.

I have seen cases where I have fought for days trying to fix the problem a particular user's machine(windows repair, ATI drivers, registry recleaning) and there has been no way I could eliviate the issue without a reimage.

Try the following before making the switch to the ATI driver.

Run a program for cleaning up behind uninstallers like

revouninstaller(Free!)

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

use it to uninstall the GPU driver, all registry entries and dormant files.

The issues is usually causes from a corrupted ATI file being left behind. Reinstalling will leave this file intact and you will continue to have the problem,

Windows 7 actually loads a default video card driver...in which most cases causes your machine to BSOD :smileyvery-happy:

but this was solved by just updating the driver. The problem can occur in 7 as well. The problem occurs in only 7 and vista due to the aero theme using 3D acceleration all the TIME! so...even if you don't play any games...you are using your graphics card constantly in direct X 10 mode just to see the start menu.