Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
chrispt

T400 Hard Drive

When I boot into the Lenovo Toolbox, the two errors it still shows outstanding are, backup hasn't run (which is by my own doing) and that there is a "Sector Reallocation Pending." When I go into the diagnostics and run specific ones for the HD and then I go to run the Full System tests, they all come back passing. I also have a program that monitors the SMART status of the drive and it still says ok. If I boot into the ThinkVantage utilities and run the diags under there, when it runs the surface scan it comes back with an error. Also, it will not let me run a chkdsk in the OS. I am going to try to back it up with Acronis and then get a Windows Backup of the machine before I start messing with it. After doing that I am going to try to run chkdsk /r after reboot to see if that cleans anything up and then I might even run Paragon's Total Defrag because I think it has some HD integrity check tools. Has anyone else encountered this before? I don't have any problems doing anything else in the OS and there are no disk errors relating to harddisk0 in the Event Viewer. Any thoughts?
zilla
Kudos: 62
Solutions: 14

Re: T400 Hard Drive

If this is Vista, Acronis will not backup MBR and the rest of track 0 correctly so after a restore you won't be able to use Thinkvantage/F11 to enter the recovery partition. So don't forget to burn recovery disks so you can restore the factory setting preload and then just use Acronis to restore the C: partition.

T500: Vista 32, 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 15.4" 1680x1050, 500GB 7200rpm, ATI Radeon HD3650 + Intel 4500MHD. T42: XP, 1.7GHz, 2GB RAM, 14.1" 1024x768, 250GB PATA, ATI Radeon 7500.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
chrispt

Yeah I have run into that before with Dells and their Utility Partition. I went ahead and backed up all of Disk1, but if/when I have to restore I will probably only restore the data on C back to the partition allotted for C. I will make sure not to touch the FAT partition that has all of the ThinkVantage utilities.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
chrispt

I ran a chkdsk /r and these were my results:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                        
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 175 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 175 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 175 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x1dfbc0e000 for 0x10000 bytes.
Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x1dfbc16000 for 0x1000 bytes.
Windows replaced bad clusters in file 35796
of name \WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP.
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.
Adding 1 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

238173183 KB total disk space.
 130836516 KB in 269869 files.
    114220 KB in 24408 indexes.
        12 KB in bad sectors.
    434351 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 106788084 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
  59543295 total allocation units on disk.
  26697021 allocation units available on disk.

Fanfold Paper
UncleNacho

Hi chrispt if you have a Seagate hard drive you may want to download SeaTools dos here http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools make a floppy disk it has instructions then reboot your computer with the floppy inserted you can pick the type of test or diagnostics you want to run then you can let it fix bad sectors. It will do this before your operating system loads up and you will have to use the keyboard to navigate through the program(directional arrows,letters,enter,..Etc). My hard drive was always failing the short self test, when I ran this tool it fixed 8 bad sectors and now my hard drive passes all PCDoctor hard drive tests short and long. I have a Seagate Barracuda hard drive I don't know how I got all the bad sectors on it but I was really pleased with this tool.    

Hope this helps,
                                                                                                                       U.N.