Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
jason111neo
Accepted Solution

T400 SSD recommendations?

[ Edited ]

Im thinking of getting a SSD for my lenovo thinkpad t400. Are there any recommendations?

This because im new to this and i've read up on SATA I and II but have no clue about those. Thanks in advance~

Moderator edit: Added detail to subject.

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 110
Solutions: 108

Re: SSD

[ Edited ]

I would recommend getting a Intel X25-M G2. You can choose between 80gb and 160gb. I bought a Intel X25-M, 160gb SSD some time ago and it gave me a real performance boost and i had no issues so far. I would really recommend this product for anyone looking for a SSD to replace the HDD for a laptop.

You can find more info here:

http://www.intel.com/design/flash/nand/productinformation.htm

And a pretty comprehensive review here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Intel-x25-m-SSD,2012.html

(you can also find some benchmarks at www.tomshardware.com)

Intel also have the X25-E and X25-V models. The X25-E got higher performance and is supposed to last longer since it's SLC while the X25-M is MLC. The X25-E is very expensive and only available as 32 or 64gb. The X25-M is available as 80gb and 160gb and still perform very good and much better than a standard laptop HDD. I don't know much about the X25-V model, but it's only available as a 40gb. They are all SATA II and that' what you want. Not sure if it's even possible to get a SATA I SSD. Also make sure you buy the Intel X25-M G2 and not G1 if you decide to buy one.

Intel also got the X18 series. The difference between X25 and X18 is that the X25 is 2.5" (what you want for the T400) and the X18 is 1.8".

There is a lot that can be told about SSD's, but you could take a look at the product information from Intel and check out the review. If you need some more help or got some questions you could post in this forum and i'm sure a lot of people can assist you and answer any questions you might have.

-gan

Ctrl-Alt-Del
jason111neo

And so my plan will be to buy a Intelx25-m generation 2 SSD. Thanks

Ctrl-Alt-Del
jason111neo

Actually I have another question. So I just have to take out the HDD and Insert the SSD to start using it? is there any other stuff i need to add or take note

Token Ring
takedown

Yes, I think that if you have in you T400 this: Intel Turbo Memory harddrive cache, you need remove it before puting your new, super and wowww SSD :smileyvery-happy:

gan
Topics: 4
Kudos: 110
Solutions: 108

[ Edited ]

I did not physically remove the Turbo Memory from my computer, but after installing Windows 7 on the SSD i disabled Windows Readyboost. I didn't notice any difference when using the SSD with and without readyboost, but found readyboost to be a waste with a SSD. I also download and installed the last SSD firmware from Intel as well as the Intel SSD toolbox. The Intel SSD toolbox is not really needed for Windows 7 as far as i understand though, but give you some info and can run som diagnostics. Not sure what OS you plan on using?

I also tried to check if there are any recommended steps when using a SSD and found many tips, but a lot of opinions and no common agreement so decided to leave the rest to the default settings in Windows and not try to change a lot of settings based on unproven recommendations.

You should make sure the BIOS is set to ACHI and not compatibility mode though. Also i changed the "Disk defragmenter" in Windows so it's disabled since Windows didn't do that after a fresh install of Windows 7 on the new SSD. I read that Windows 7 is supposed to detect the SSD and disable the scheduled defrag, but that didn't work for me so had to disable manually.

Except from that you should just the replace your HDD with the SSD and it should be working. I'm not sure if you plan to take a image copy of your old HDD and restore on the SSD or if you plan to reinstall Windows on the new SSD. I did a fresh reinstall of Windows though.

802.11n
Volker1

Intel SSD's aren't the absolute king of the hill any more, a good resource is

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/

Though in summary, all good SSD's will just obliterate a traditional hard drive, and all intel drives are working very well.

Punch Card
Minicoop831

The new Crucial c300 SSD it is pricey but its one of the best, It was just released I believe it is the fastest ssd available now along with OCZ's are also great ssd's I believe

Ctrl-Alt-Del
jason111neo

I have settled for intel's SSD is because i am quite a gamer and I just need fast read speed, theres no need to write stuff that much (transfer) . Thx for the recommendation though, I will take note in near future.

802.11n
TheDude

Intel X-25m Gen II 80 GB in my T400.  It has been great.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40