Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
pushead

T400 Screen Flickering problems

[ Edited ]

I have a Thinkpad T400 which I got in early June 2009, and the past two months now, my screen flickers every 2 or 3 seconds when I am not on full brightness.  My screen is a LED-backlight type WXGA (1280 x 800).  I do have the latest graphics drivers, and the latest version of the BIOS, and this is the switchable type one BTW.  Also, I've changed to the refresh rate to 60Hz, but still when the brightness is lowered the screen still flickering. I have done everything as far as the software side goes. 

I've tested on an external monitor, no problems there, so I don't think there is an issue with the graphics card or the motherboard.

I have searched all over the forums thru google for the similar problem, but I am still unable to determine that if its my LCD screen or the LED board is the problem?  I need to know which one it is so I can buy the appropriate part.  This problem is really bugging me since I have sensitive eyes :smileymad:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S: If I do replace the screen, if I switch to the CCFL type, I know I need an inverter board, but do I also need to change the LCD cable?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,276

Re: T400 Screen Flickering problems

if you are going back to the CCFL type, then you would need an inverter board, new LCD cable, new screen bezel, etc.

You should ask LegendaryKA8 about the conversion, he has done one recently.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo-ibm/513453-t400-replacement-screen.html
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
SpencerF

I bought mine around the same time and has the same flickering problem as well. Wondering whether it's because of the new Intel Graphic driver or it's just hardware defect of the LED. 

Blue Screen Again
pushead

I had the new Intel drivers, but that didn't really help.  I went back to the previous version.

I think its the LCD screen, I think I'll have to go for a new part, but I have to make sure that if thats what I need.  I spoke to a local Lenovo business partner, and they said that it is very likely the LCD screen, because the LED sub card doesnt really have any voltage going through unlike the inverter, so it would have to be screen only.  Looks like I'll have to get a new screen.

Anybody know that if I get the WXGA+ LED screen will fit in this?  I dont think I need a different LCD cable do I? 

Fanfold Paper
Qadah

Hi guys,= exaxt same problem, if anybody got it solved please let me know how, and let me know if any upgraded to the 1440x900 option! with ccfl/LEDs

thanks

What's DOS?
tequest

I have the same problem. Seems it's a common problem between Lenovo T400's users. The warranty period has been expired. Technical Service's staff told me that the only solution is change the Laptop's display.

Punch Card
jofamie

Hi All,

I got one end user here which having a same problem. Problem occurs intermittently, Flickering happens when about to load the windows startup and when the embedded Intel Graphic Accelerator tried to open.

Could this be a software problem with Intel Graphic Accelerator? or could be Inverter Monitor or on the Monitor Board itself?
Jofamie
Fanfold Paper
Qadah

Hello,

My warrantee was yet I went to Lenovo service center and they told me they Can’t fix it and that they never seen such a screen type and won’t fix it :/, so I went to a random laptop repair center … and the guy there replaced the inverter and had to replace the screen since the inverter he had didn't’t go with my original screen… the problem was solved… but for some reason my webcam stopped working after that K and I left the country before I checked the webcam…

I really feel the problem is related to faulty hardware from Lenovo! I really am pissed off and I have endured a lot of cost for fixing this screen thing!!! And the fact that Lenovo center in the country I was in refused to fix it is so !@#! Annoying… after that incident I don’t think I’ll ever not buy, even recommend or endorse a Lenovo to anyone.. Because having a good hardware is something… but such neglect and **bleep**ty customer service is something else!

PS: my inverter I mean that thing below the screen... With all the notification lights attached to it (at least that what the guy showed me)..

Q

Punch Card
radiskull

I have heaard of cases like this.  Usually and almost always the screen or some wiring harness gone bad or wire unplugged.  It's kind of sad because it usually happens 6 months after the warranty expires.  It seems as though this might be a reoccuring problem.

Which brings me to another point.  Computer companies often times do know of issues such as these although they may not be so quick to admit it.  Samsung had a problem with the N130 I believe and the same problem and if your computer was an N130 that happened to fall in the mfg date of the problematic computers they offered warranty service for that problem.  What I am suggesting is maybe kind of hound Lenovo (ibm) get a few examples of people with the same problem.  I'd call IBMS customer service line and see.  I wouldn't be suprised if you can get some sort of warranty exstension if your just out of warranty

Punch Card
jofamie

I believe this is a driver problem, Cause in my End User, He does have a problem when accessing the Graphic Accelerator software then it start flickering like showing in Basic Mode 800x600 then 1440x900 pixel. Seems a software/driver problem. Intermittently switching the resolution unexpectedly.
Jofamie