Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
srinisistla

T400 boot time takes long time & has issue with restart

Not sure if any one has already posted this and got replies...

my T400 has a strange issue. it takes a lot time in pre-boot... a cursor blinks on the top left corner for 5+ minutes and then loads the 'Windows loading...' screen for about another 5 mins and finally shows the windows logon screen.

Additionaly, when i hit shutdown, i am fine. if i hit restart - i am sitting there for ever. 

my laptop has 8GB RAM + 256 GB SSD + Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

T400 taking 10 mins to start up - posted to twitter

[ Edited ]

Srini shared the following observation via twitter... perhaps the community can help?

@lenovoforums my T400 takes 10mins to boot; and doesnt restart properly. looks like a famous issue every one has out there #lenovo #thinkpad

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Re: T400 taking 10 mins to start up - posted to twitter

[ Edited ]

Srini,

I brought your tweet in and started a new thread and then found you already had a forum discussion going, so I'll just apend to your original thread and will leave this since I tweeted the link back to you to let you know we were taking a look.(Apologies) 

Does this abnormally long startup of your T400 occur when docked or by itself?  On battery or on AC power?   

Have you checked the boot device order in BIOS?  Make sure HDD is listed first.

Are there a lot of applications being loaded in the startup folder?

Have you tried using the MSCONFIG utility (start -> run ->msconfig) and then selected the startup tab to see what programs are being loaded during boot and if you can uncheck some that you don't always need to load?

This could reduce your boot time.  I believe this, along with some setting tweaks was suggested in a similar T400 slow boot thread here...

Perhaps other members will have additional suggestions....

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Blue Screen Again
srinisistla

Hi Mark,

thank you for posting it here. I did the below steps.

1. Under the Bios > In the Startup Boot devices order - HDD is the first and DVD drive is second and i removed every thing else

2. In the Network Boot order - I removed everything; 

Saved the Settings and Restarted the Machine

3. Once the OS loaded > at the msconfig - I removed unwanted services and also some startup applications. Set the Number of processors to 2 and Max memory to 8192 (under the Boot > Advanced Settings);

Saved the settings and Rebooted the machine. Now, here reboot hangs. No progress until I force shutdown by pressing and holding for a brief time.

Even after that, the behavior is same. At the begging I have the black screen with cursor blink for a long time and then the Starting Windows screen loads and login screen appears in better timing.

So, finally I have 3 issues still there  

1. Blank screen with cursor blink // I need this fix

2. Starting Windows time // Since this is a bit better with the above changes I can live with .

3. Restart hang // I cant really live with this one.

Please let me know what can be done.

regards,

Srini

Blue Screen Again
srinisistla

Hi Mark,

here are some more stats... hope they help.

Boot up (Splash) screen : Lenovo Thinkpad screen appears after 18 seconds ;

Booting sequence (POST) : cursor appears after 36 seconds (18seconds from previous screen) ;

Starting Windows screen : appears after 88 seconds (52 seconds from previous screen) ;

Login screen : appears after 106 seconds (18 seconds from previous screen)

-Srini

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

Srinini,

It may be the HDD on your system that is at fault.   Let's try the following next steps:

1) Try reloading BIOS defaults (go into bios and reload defaults is a choice, then save and exit)   Perhaps some bits are corrupted and resetting them will help.

2) Download and run Lenovo Thinkvantage Toolbox (unless you already have it on your system) and run the HDD Diags.  While you have it, you might as well run systemboard and memory tests.

3) Send me a PM with your name, shipping address, phone, and the system model and serial number from the bottom of the unit.  Let's try some recovery disks and re-image the system.   (You'll need to back up your data).  If it still hangs after that, or if the diags show a failure, you will likely need service.

I can work with you on that.

Thanks!

Mark

Mark Hopkins
twitter @lenovoforums
Blue Screen Again
srinisistla

Hi Mark,

I have sent u the details in PM.

regards,

Srini

Token Ring
hubertlam

The same happens to two out of three T400 machines that I manage.

The blinking cursor for 10+ seconds would probably be considered unacceptable by Lenovo which has tweaked Windows 7 to create the Enhanced Experience...

I wonder which part of bootup is causing the blinking cursor?

srinisistla wrote:

1. Blank screen with cursor blink // I need this fix

Agotthelf
Topics: 145
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 183

Hello hubertlam and Srini,
please try also updating your Intel AMT drivers or try to disable AMT in Bios if you don´t use it.

Hello hubertlam and Srini,

this may also help.

Please try updating your Intel AMT drivers or disable Intel AMT in Bios if you don´t use it.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Token Ring
hubertlam

Hi Agotthelf

For one of the machines, it doesn't even have AMT as it's not even a vPro machine (no vPro in label).

For my own, it is disabled now. But cursor still flashes for 10 seconds.

Any other tips?

I can't seem to replicate the machine that doesn't flash! :smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad: