Support in other languages: 
EMD
What's DOS?
EMD

T400 - crappy USB ports and refusing to work with HP keyboards

Hello forum,

I work in a large multinational company and all of our laptops are now IBM Thinkpads from T60's, T61's, and now of course they're Lenovo T400 and T410 laptops.

Also we still have some of the Thinkcentre towers.

There seems to be other people with the same problem where the weak plastic / incorrectly sized ports are causing problems.

Well i've just had my 4th Lenovo laptop cause problems and so far they've all be T400's or T410's with the exception of one Thinkcentre.

Each time there is a problem its because the crappy plastic they used to make the usb port pin protector has snapped off except in the case of the Thinkcentre PC.

The problem is that the vast majority of our keyboards are the basic HP keyboard and all of a sudden the keyboard stops working with the laptop.

The keyboard could be working fine for weeks months or days and then all three lights will light up at the same time on the keyboard (num lock, caps lock and scroll lock) and the keyboard will no longer function.

The only work around for the problem is to swap out the keyboard with an older Fujitsu Siemens Keyboard, or if i can find one an actual Lenovo keyboard.

Do some lenovo systems have an allergy to HP keyboards? :smileyhappy:

Or could someone tell me if theres a different cause for this problem.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Re: T400 - crappy USB ports and refusing to work with HP keyboards

which HP keyboards are you talking about? there are quite a few different model of HP keyboard used by businesses.

Also, is this problem caused by one keyboard or multiple HP keyboards?

Keyboards should be designed with interoperability, but sometimes a usb could be badly designed where it pinches the usb ports.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft