Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
favalora
Accepted Solution

T400 ignores Fn F7 for second display and Catalyst won't load

Hello - 

I run a Lenovo T400 ( 2764CTO ) under 64-bit Win 7 with an embedded ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400-series graphics chipset.

Problem 1: When I log in to windows, I get an error "Could not start Catalyst."

Problem 2: The computer doesn't see external monitors or projectors. When I press Fn-F7, nothing happens. When I go to the areas of Control Panel for second monitors, it only sees the primary monitor.

Problem 3: I can't find any standalone application in my computer that will let me take snapshots with the built-in camera.

Background: This summer, I restored the computer's harddrive from an Acronis backup image. The problems began after that.

I have tried looking on this forum and I have installed the latest ATI drivers.

Any ideas? My problem "2" is the most critical because I am a business user.

VIDEO CARD - MOBILE INTEL 4 SERIES EXPRESS CHIPSET FAMILY

Driver Provider: ATI Technologies

Driver Version: 8.792.5.0, 4-24-2011

VIDEO CARD - ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 3400 SERIES

Driver Provider: ATI Technologies

Driver Version: 8.792.5.0, 4-24-2011

Thank you,

Gregg

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: T400 ignores Fn F7 for second display and Catalyst won't load

hey favalora,

welcome to the forums.

i'm guessing that your T400's system is maintain by your IT dept and all software is installed via their integrated system ? (Speculating this since you use Acronis to restore your system instead of the Rescue&Recovery system)

If this is so, try uninstalling the current graphic driver of your unit and let windows install its own driver.

once generic driver has been installed, try your unit and see if [problem 2] occurs.

I would suggest getting in contact with our support team via >>
http://bit.ly/LNVsuppNum

and get yourself a system recovery disc to reset your unit to factory setting .

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Blue Screen Again
favalora

[ Edited ]

Serge1410,

Thank you for offering some suggestions.

No, we do not have an IT department. I purchased and installed Acronis Backup because I do not understand or have good documentation for the various applets contained within ThinkVantage. (It is clear thta Lenovo put a lot of effort into writing ThinkVantage, but many of us ThinkPad owners either don't understand it or fear that it bothers Windows 7 somehow.)

I might have the original T400 discs at home. However I do not want to wipe my T400 clean. I just want to fix these driver problems.

How do I uninstall the current graphic driver?

How do I fix the problem of " Fn F7 is ignored and I cannot use a projector "? This is causing a lot of problems with my ability to use the computer for work.

Gregg

Blue Screen Again
favalora

I believe I have fixed the problems of "computer ignores Fn F7 for second display" and "ATI Catalyst error at bootup."

I used the control panel's uninstall a program to select ATI Catalyst Install Manager, to perform an Express Uninstall All ATI Software. I rebooted. After reboot, I am able to use Fn F7 to select a second display, and I did not get the ATI Catalyst error.

Hooray.

I did not have to wipe my computer clean or install all drivers.

gregg