Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
oliversl

T400, motherboard replaced and Windows 7 says it is not a legal license

Hi, we have a T400, it had a problem with the motherboard and the local tech support replaced it. Now Windows says that the Windows 7 is not legal, that a Legal version of Windows should be buyed. This is a Windows 7 32bits, English. Pre-installed on the ThinkPad T400. In System Properties, at the botom, it says: Windows Activated But when I run the Windows Genuine Website, it says it is not a legal copy. Also, a pop-up appears near the time and says it is not a legal copy of windows. Should I call Microsoft an re-activate Windows 7? Many thanks Oliver
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Re: T400, motherboard replaced and Windows 7 says it is not a legal license

this means that the SLIC table on the motherboard is changed, did you do the motherboard change through the official Lenovo depot or some aftermarket service?
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Token Ring
oliversl

Hi lead_org, thanks for replaying and sorry for the delay. Yes, the motherboard was replaced in a Lenovo certified technical support shop. How can I verify that it is a SLIC problem? Many thanks Oliver
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

check whether the serial and model number of the laptop is listed in the bios menu.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
802.11n
TheDude

They forgot to run a setup disk. The BIOS needs to have the SN of the new board in it (I think that is the trick).  You will need to take it back and tell them to run the setup disk.  I had a MB replaced on my 400 and the shop did the same thing.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
Token Ring
oliversl

Hi, I checked the BIOS and it has the same serial and type as in the printed label on the botom of the notebook. Also, checked que SLIC and it is present. I used everest software in order to check: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/03/03/slic-table-slicbin-or-acpislicbin-bios-file-for-oems-downlo... I will try these steps in order to see what happends: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T410-update-new-BIOS-SLIC-misssing/m-p/2851... Regards, Oliver