Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
snugdog

[T400] no "memory remapping"?

Hi,

today I upgraded my T400 from 2GB to 8GB RAM, yes RAM is cheap nowadays :-)

So,BIOS is showing 8GB of RAM. As I have Windows 7 32 Bit it says: "8,00 GB (2,96 usable)"

A little google later: http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipps/32-bit-ram-barrier.html?lang=EN

So, with a patch Windows 7 32 Bit supports up to 64GB of RAM. I patched the kernel and rebooted == black screen, notebook stops booting, harddrive shuts down.

So "memory remapping" has to be enabled for this in BIOS. But there´s no option within the Thinkpad´s one.

Sadly, the question occurs whether the T400 doesn´t support this feature?

Punch Card
Patrick87

Re: [T400] no "memory remapping"?

Hi snugdog,

a T400 actually supports memory remapping (also called "PAE", short for "physical address extension").

However the patch you mentioned seems NOT to work on a T400. At least I wasn't able to get it to work, too (got a bluescreen if i remember right).  As is stated in the article you linked to, the patch can cause problems with some drivers - In our case I assume a problem with the graphics hardware/drivers. Maybe you can try to select either integrated or dedicated graphics in BIOS and install the latest non-switching driver for the chosen graphics card.

Proof that PAE works on a T400 is, that I'm currently writing on a T400 with 4GB RAM (only 2,46 GB [!] usable) but with a 1,43 GB ramdisk installed in the non-usable memory. You can achieve this by using for example Gavotte RAMDisk (use version "Gavotte_RAMDisk_1.0.4096.5_200811130", just google this name) and enabling PAE with the reg patch included.

Nevertheless I would reccomend you to switch to a 64bit operating system. Most software runs under Windows x64 nowadays and 8 GB of RAM is definetly enough for a 64bit system.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,254
Solutions: 1,343

if you can upgrade to the windows 64 bit free by downloading the windows 64 bit iso from here. Then proceed to activate the WIndows 7 64 bit with the serial no. on the authenticity sticker.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/428068-legal-windows-7-download-links-just-like-...
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

[ Edited ]

Patrick87 wrote:

However the patch you mentioned seems NOT to work on a T400. At least I wasn't able to get it to work, too (got a bluescreen if i remember right).  As is stated in the article you linked to, the patch can cause problems with some drivers - In our case I assume a problem with the graphics hardware/drivers.

IIRC, the driver issue is why Microsoft dropped PAE support back around XP SP1 or so.  Too many driver writers didn't include PAE support.

As others have said, switching to a 64 bit OS is the way to go.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Paper Tape
snugdog

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I´m using an Intel graphics only T400 system.

It seems there was really a bluescreen. I rebooted too fast, but Windows complained about it:

"Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1031

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: 8A6AF510
BCP2: 95C33D00
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000002
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\032611-25022-01.dmp
C:\Users\nutzer\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-89341-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt"

Guru
ColonelONeill

It doesn't work with the Intel adapter at all. It does with the ATI one.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Blue Screen Again
Maabou

L412 PAE kernel hack black screen issue Re: [T400] no "memory remapping"?

Hello, I know it's an old topic but there isn't any useful info to be found on google.

Does anybody have newer infos or even success on running a T4xx or L412?

Recently I upgraded my L412 from 4GB to 8GB just because it was affordable ;-)

Systeminfo: Windows 7 Pro 32bit SP1 (german),
2.43GB available of 8.00GB installed,
Intel Core i5-540@2.53GHz,
Intel HD Graphics, Driver 8.15.10.2253 (28/11/2010)

However, before I have time to stress myself with an Ubuntu LTS installation - which I am planning to have as a dual boot alternative - I thought it'd be nice to have something from the extra memory.

So first I found the "gavotte" RAM disk, a few years old, probably woking though kind of unsupported, which can host the Windows swap file for instance.

Then I searched for a 64bit Win7 pro for the L412 which is - as I undestand it - only available by phoning up Lenovo (which is only free if the Thinkpad is still in warranty)  There is a product (FRU) number but no price or order info, strange policy!?

Eventually I stumbled upon the PAE kernel hack (on UNAWAVE) and gave it an immediate try:

My L412 boots and starts the Windows loader but before switching from the black screen into the working screen resolution, the system hangs some minute and reboots then.

However, when starting Windows in protective mode everything works fine and the system info displays an impressive amount of 7.80GB memory available.  As one can see, the Intel HD graphics driver is quite old, does it make sense to update it (in order to overcome the black screen) or is it better to leave "the running system" unchanged.

Thanks, for any comments in advance.

Best regards, Ma'abou

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: L412 PAE kernel hack black screen issue Re: [T400] no "memory remapping"?

[ Edited ]

I haven't studied that PAE hack.  It may well work until you load a driver that can't deal with it correctly.  Personally I'd be more inclined to download and install Win 7 Pro 64.    You should be able to activate it with the OEM key that you already have, although it may require a phone call.  Or use the key program mentioned below - follow the links.

Legal Resources for Downloading Windows 7

Install ThinkVantage System Update and let it download the rest of the Lenovo stuff.  The only thing you'll miss is the recovery partition - which likely won't work anyway after your dual-boot installation.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Guru
ColonelONeill

The Intel driver will try to allocate some RAM smack-dab in the middle of otherwise normal system RAM, which is a conflict.

If you don't load the graphics driver (as in Safe Mode), then the conflict does not arise.

Not sure if you can hack the driver or add a do-not-allocate window.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1080/670/1340, 21GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Blue Screen Again
Maabou

Skimming through some Win7 64bit postings it looks well like that I may require a "32bit compatibility mode" ;-)

Will try it anyway, and - if I remember - keep the foum updated.

OT: The recovery partition comes in quite handy if one is permitted to create a set of backup/install disks; when the 30GB HDD on my old T42 prooved too small I wasn't able to do this and bought a XPP backup (not perfectly legal) but it worked straight away on the replacement 120GB drive.

Thanks and regards,

Ma'abou