Search instead for 
Do you mean 
andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 635

Re: T400, problem with Wireless Network

hfish1212 wrote:

There is something about XP needing to reboot when you switch graphic modules.  Maybe you need to download those video drivers after you reboot for the intel 4500 graphics?

You must select the graphics you want to use in BIOS when XP is loaded, hot-switchable graphics is only possible with Vista, (at the moment), it is not supported by XP.

That settled, any chance we could get this thread back on topic?

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

[ Edited ]

razaazmi wrote:

yes, the swifch is on. the wireless was working on visa, with WIFI link 5300 12.0.0.78 

I tried every possible driver available on internet and different versions after XP Pro recovery, and it does not work on XP.

Please assist.

Hmmm,

I had no problems with XP and the same wifi card.  My issues (so far) are with Vista.

For a while the wifi driver in the "matrix" for the 5300 was the wrong one.  Installing it completely broke wifi for me.  (even worse than it was broken before...)  Took me the rest of the day to figure that out and get back to the original problem.

Pardon the question, but you have read the notes with the driver(s) you are installing, and do they refer to your exact machine type and card type?

XP: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70504

Vista:  http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70505

For my machine, anyway.  I imagine you've already checked this, but...

Later,

Z.

Message Edited by zoltanthegypsy on 11-08-2008 11:37 AM

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Punch Card
rdharper

Not that anyone asked, but I've had zero problem from the first boot.  My internet connection through my Linksys wifi connection to Wildblue has worked perfectly, as it did with my previous Sony (which continues to work as well).

Anyway, not to cast aspersions, but the implications that there are intrinsic problems with hardware and software are highly suspect.  This T400 has been nothing but a delightful experience. 

And I was prepared for "problems", as I had read this thread before purchasing this system.  ThinkVantage doesn't work, can't get at my on/off controls.... need to change drivers etc.  Vista Business 64 is a pain.

None of these were accurate. 

Had a similar experience when I bought my Honda Ridgeline... all kinds of "problems".  I had none of them.  Maybe I'm lucky.  But maybe we have opposition "help" going on here.  How could you tell? 

After all, it IS a Honda... and it IS a Lenovo/IBM system.  Just thinking out loud here. 

Richard
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

rdharper wrote:

[some happy stuff]

But maybe we have opposition "help" going on here.  How could you tell? 

After all, it IS a Honda... and it IS a Lenovo/IBM system.  Just thinking out loud here. 

"Opposition Help" ??? I don't even know where to begin with that one.  This is my 4th ThinkPad.  I like them so well that I buy the next before the warranty is out on the last.  Until Vista I have always recommended them to anyone who asked.  They have been reliable (as laptops go) and on the couple of occasions over the years when I had a hardware problem, support and repair has been lightning fast.

Enough about me.  If I wanted to get into one of these bleeping matches, I would post this on a news group instead of here.

Back to the issue (but maybe this isn't quite the right thread):

My primary symptom seems to be that the 5300 can't get an IP address from any of the DHCP servers involved without first failing and then going through a reboot.  Pretty vague.  One interesting detail is that if I open a command prompt as administrator and do "ipconfig /renew" to try to gt an address, it returns an error:

"An error occurred while renewing Wireless Network Connection 2: element not found".

(The "2" here is because I'm running with a 5300 that tech support sent me to to see if it was a hardware problem.  It arrived less than 24 hours after I talked to the tech.  I think it can be ignored since the error was the same before the "2".)

After a reboot, when wifi is working, "ipconfig /renew" works without an error.  Until the next time I try to connect to a different access point or wired router.

Has anyone else seen this error?  Please give it a try if you can.  I would like to report this info to the lead tech (if he calls) and it would help to have some confirmation that it shows up on other T400s.

Later,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

JaneL

rdharper wrote:

Had a similar experience when I bought my Honda Ridgeline... all kinds of "problems".  I had none of them.  Maybe I'm lucky.  But maybe we have opposition "help" going on here.  How could you tell? 

While there's always the chance that there's some opposition "help" as you put it, by and large I expect it's just people with problems and questions.  Dell representatives have visited as has at least one from Apple and one from Microsoft.  They identified themselves, and in the case of Dell and Microsoft, answered questions about their products.  Generally in a forum like this, you'll see far more messages asking for help or complaining about things than you will see positive messages since most happy owners aren't going to seek out a forum just to say they're pleased.

Any product produced by man is going to have a certain number of units that are defective whether it's computers, cars or refrigerators and a certain number of unhappy customers.  That's just reality.  We're here to help them out where we can.

I'm glad you've been happy with your T400, and thanks for chiming in!  I hope you stick around to continue sharing with others.

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Punch Card
rdharper

zoltanthegypsy wrote:

After a reboot, when wifi is working, "ipconfig /renew" works without an error.  Until the next time I try to connect to a different access point or wired router.

Has anyone else seen this error?  Please give it a try if you can.  I would like to report this info to the lead tech (if he calls) and it would help to have some confirmation that it shows up on other T400s.

Later,

Z.

Since I don't have any other router to connect to, I can't verify this problem.  But I tried the ipconfig /renew anyway... it spews out a lot of information... appears to be correct.

When you have multiple routers in your environment, do they all show on the graphic "find wireless networks", at the same time?  Or are you actually only in the presence of one router/access point at the same time... as in getting up from your desk and going to a meeting where you need to connect to the new access point, for instance.

Richard
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

[ Edited ]

rdharper wrote:

[snip]

When you have multiple routers in your environment, do they all show on the graphic "find wireless networks", at the same time?  Or are you actually only in the presence of one router/access point at the same time... as in getting up from your desk and going to a meeting where you need to connect to the new access point, for instance.

Both.  At home there is only one access point.  On the road, it varies.

My impression is that all is well until I change access points.  Or go to a wired connection.  Once I do that, wifi falls over again.  I need to do more testing to really verify that.  As long as I stick with my home access point it seems to stay happy.

Thanks for the ipconfig test.  Now if someone with the same affliction would give it a try...

Z.

Message Edited by zoltanthegypsy on 11-09-2008 12:25 PM

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

I don't have a fix (yet???) but I'm in contact with Lenovo escalation and 2nd-level tech support.  There's a little more info here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&thread.id=21083&view=by_date_...

I'm going to stay on this until it gets fixed or the T400 goes into the recycle bin.

Z.

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Replacing the Intel 5300 with a 5100 solved the problem in my case, noted here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T_Series_Thinkpads&message.id=22764&jump=true#M2...

The tech thinks is was a pair of bad 5300s, but they did work with XP.  Go figure.

Z.

HDMI
joer80

I have a t500 with the 5100 and i am having the same problem.  I lose my connection, and the only way to get it back is to reboot. 

I uninstalled access connections and still have them problem from time to time.

:\

Thinkpad T500 - Intel Core2 P8400 (2.26GHz), 4 gigs of ram, 160GB/7200rpm hard drive, ATI 3650 GPU, WSXGA+ panel