Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
ernstlenzer

T400 under warranty has loose hinges. Lenovo wants me to pay.

[ Edited ]

Hey,

I have a Lenovo T400 that's still under warranty. But I can't get Lenovo to send me replacement hinges, the hinges are so loose it's impossible to use the laptop normally. Lenovo keeps saying the hinges are not covered by the warranty when I call them. But I searched this forum and it seems like they are covered.

How can I get Lenovo to send me the hinges? Can maybe someone on this board that works for Lenovo help me?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

Re: T400 under warranty has loose hinges. Lenovo wants me to pay.

You would need to send the laptop in for repair, Lenovo warranty service usually can't send the users the hinge for self replacement.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
ernstlenzer

Well they didnt offer that either. They just say mechanical parts are not covered under warranty. That's just not true, the limited warranty statement does not say anything like that.

What's DOS?
Ariakas

That doesn't make sense... I just had the hinges on my T400 replaced.  Screen stayed up but had the wobble.  I told them it was unacceptable and they dispatched an onsite tech to replace it.   I have the 3 yr next biz day onsite warranty but even in your case hinges should be covered.

Punch Card
nikg969

I just had the same experience with my T500 (still under Warranty - on site). They (Lenovo Germany) told me that the hinges are not covered by the guarantee.  Please tell me this is a joke!

I can not possibly believe that this is the case.

And you know what the funniest part is? The hinges became loose after a Lenovo technician took the notebook apart to replace a defect fan.  Lenovo denied that there could be any connection.

Engineered for durability?? Give me a break.  What kind of a warranty exempts hinges??

Kind Regards

Nik

ThinkPad t540p, 2880x1620, i7 4700MQ, 16GB, 256GB SSD, WWAN
Community SuperMod
bananaman

Hi emstlenzer and nikg969,

As lead_org said, the hinges are not CRU's (not Customer-Replaceable), so they would have to be replaced by Lenovo either on-site or at the repair depot depending on your warranty type. They will not send you new hinges.

I suggest calling again. Use the main Lenovo support number for your country.

Come back and tell us how it goes!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Punch Card
nikg969

We called 2 separate times at the main Lenovo Support number. My assistent spoke to three different people in the lenovo support. 

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Kind Regards

Blue Screen Again
ernstlenzer

I called the UK line three times, no matter who I get on the line, they insist that mechanical parts like the hinges are not under warranty.

So what am I supposed to do to get those replaced?

Retired Employee
JameZ

@ernstlenzer,

Kindly PM me the following information and I will escalate it to the customer relations for their assistance on this matter.

Name:
Mobile:
Email:
MTM:
S/N:
Case number if you have:

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
nikg969

Now the plot thickens: According to our ssupllier (who ist Lenovo Gold Premium Partner) the warranty terms were revised by Lenovo in January 2011 to exclude "cosmetic" defects. As such they count hinges!!!

So let me get that straight: The Company which advertises the products as premium, superbly engineered and demands matching prices - will not  - cover defect hinges under warranty with the explantion that they are cosmetic defects?

Am I the only one who finds that outrageous????

Kind Regards

Nik