Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
kp216

T400 upgrade to Win7

Hi,

I used customize way to upgrade my T400 vista to windows 7. Can I back up my new windows 7 file to disk lenovo(Q) and overwrite old vista file? How to do it?

I have read the overview about disk SERVICEV003(S), it is holds critical start up (booting) information, and cannot be deleted, I am wondering if this still the case under Windows 7?

Thanks

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Re: T400 upgrade to Win7

So your S and Q partitions survived the Win 7 custom install?  I did a clean retail install to Win 7 Pro 64 and let it wipe out all the partitions.  Win created its little boot partition and C on the rest of the drive.

In the past, ThinkPads would boot without the service partition - but of course you couldn't boot to rescue and recovery.   I didn't try deleting S on my T400.

I can tell you that if you blow them away (or not I guess) during a clean install you can install the latest Rescue and Recovery app into Win 7 and burn a backup CD/DVD set with it.  I did that and even tested recovery onto a blank drive.  It worked fine.

I was also able to boot to R&R with the "Think" button.  Not sure how that magic happened since there was definitely NOT a recovery/service partition on the drive.

That's my favorite approach anyway.  Keep my "factory" image on optical media and don't waste the space on the hard drive.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Token Ring
cassio

if you installed r&r and the predesktop environment (or whatever the hell its called) then you'd get that

----------------------------
T400s - 2815RW1 + Win7 Ultimate :smileyvery-happy:
Don't pm me for help! That's what the forum is for. Also, Google's nicer than me. Ask him.
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

I guess, but when I was a boy, the "predesktop environment" went into a separate partition or a host-protected-area on the drive.  (That wasn't a partition but was an area only the gods could see or write to so it might as well have been).

I just installed R&R and it all worked.  Clearly the predesktop/bootable R&R is somewhere, but where?

Just curious,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Token Ring
cassio

that is when i was a boy too :smileytongue:

but maybe they work differently now. just guessing.

i haven't installed r&r since i installed win7, so i don't know either :smileytongue:

----------------------------
T400s - 2815RW1 + Win7 Ultimate :smileyvery-happy:
Don't pm me for help! That's what the forum is for. Also, Google's nicer than me. Ask him.
Paper Tape
kp216

I still have two more questions.

how to access predesktop envirnoment, or I have to install some software to get it.

How to delete partition Q, and S.

Thanks

Punch Card
hatbrox

don't know what predesktop is.

to delete partition, go to http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

download their ISO file, burn it and boot your computer with the CD.

There are multiple utilities that will let you delete your partiitions.

Paper Tape
kp216

Does anyone know to access pre-desktop environment ?

Punch Card
hatbrox

[ Edited ]

can you give a definition of "pre-desktop"?