Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
atlguy

T400 woes

[ Edited ]

Hi people,

I bought a T400 a month ago. I'm in the process of returning the machine. This post is meant as more of an informational post and nothing more. If you wish to reply then please keep in mind that I'm no dumb enduser. I'm a highly techie so I *know* what I'm talking about. Dont want to come off as a smart ass but I'm a responsible user and wont bother anybody until I feel its absolutely needed.

I spent approximately $1100 on this machine. Some of you may argue its not a big deal but yes it is for me since this is money I've been saving up for a long time. Anyway, the machine came with a bad screen. It had a clump of dead pixels. Someone in their QA department must be surely sleeping. So I promptly called lenovo informed them about it. They sent me a box, the depot repaired and I got it back. I appreciate the quick turn around time.

Now the replaced screen has one or two dead pixels smack in the middle of the screen. This is completely unacceptable to me since I've had many and by that I mean not less that 20 - 25 LCD screens in the past few years and none of them had a dead / hot / stuck pixel.

When I complained to the customer service, they said they'll replace it. Then someone informed me that the depot will simply send back my machine without even replacing the LCD and that I may lose the opportunity to return my system. So I called back Lenovo CS to confirm since I didnt want to depend on the hearsay. The CS confirmed it and they suggested rather than escalating the issue I should just return the product if I'm not happy with it.

So I called up sales and they took down my request and I got a call back from them in a few hours time telling me that they were dispatching the RMA and UPS labels etc...

My question to you i.e. Lenovo is that doesn't the little guy matter to you anymore? Is $1100 too little in this slumping US economy? ( If I were a businessman I'd try to get and KEEP every little bit of business ). How many people out there can spend $1100 on a laptop? I'm a happy camper with a Dell laptop for the past 3 years. My screen has had no dead pixels and the hardware is rock solid. Its just aging thats all.

The only reason I went in to purchase a Lenovo is because of the quality. Now I can see the lack of it. Guess for Lenovo quality and happy customers mean nothing. Not a single customer care rep I spoke to told me that they'll ensure that I get a good quality screen. That would've truly exceeded my expectations.

I love the T400 and wished that I was shipped a notebook with a good screen. But now I have no respect for Lenovo and I am sure to tell my friends about my bad experience with you guys.

P.S.: For all T400 owners with LED screens do check the part number that you have for the LED display. There are two 42T0503 which is a samsung and it looks horrible with washed out colors and terrible viewing angles and the other one is the 42T0497. This is an LG panel and it looks much better than the samsung panel.

Message Edited by atlguy on 09-27-2008 11:12 AM
Bit Torrent
wjli2

Re: T400 woes

[ Edited ]

On one hand you are saying that Lenovo don't care about small customers, which is not the case here from what you are describing... as all your enquiries and services/repair are handled with fast turn around time, did Lenovo keep you waiting for days and not call you back or left in the dark about some processes that they didn't tell you about??? 

If Lenovo give you a shrug off or someway misinforming you then that would be the case of bad PR and bad customer services, however, this is not the case, and from what i am reading Lenovo have treated you with respect and dignity.

Also when you accuse Lenovo of not caring about the small guys, are you implying that Lenovo has treated you unfairly compared to the large corporation and business customers???? So if the business user or corporate user got a laptop from Lenovo, would they get a faultless laptop and nothing in the way of dead pixels???? Is that what you are trying to suggest here??? 

If QA is the problem, then every customer from the poorest to the richest will suffer the same problem of low quality laptop. Lenovo won't be specifically picking on the size of your bank account.

If you are a computer technie, then you would know that there are no LCD production process yet that have completely eliminated dead pixel in their fabrication process. Obviously when you purchase a laptop then you should do a bit of research especially for a professional computer user like you, one or two dead pixels are within allowable limit for Lenovo's LCD. Also when you ask a customer rep to guarantee something that they have no control over??? It is like you asking a company whether their share are definitely going to give you 10% return on your investment. 

I can't verify the truth when you say none of your large LCD screen collection is without dead pixels/hot/stuck pixels or the like, but this is not the case for many users, i have far less LCD monitors then you and every one of them have a hot/dead pixel, whether they are LG, Samsung, Dell or NEC.

How many people spend $1100 for a laptop??? well i guess anyone whom wants a decent laptop would at least pay that amount. So how many people buy MacBook Pro laptop, Macbook Air, T61p, W500, X61, x61t, X200, X300, X301, Alienware, Dell XPS, HP business line, etc. I am sure there is enough customers for mid end to high end laptop to keep these respective laptop companies afloat. You and i may not have the money to buy a Ferrari F430, but that doesn't mean there is no demand for it.

If you think the screen you got is bad then lets keep it to that, but you extropolate that to Lenovo not caring about you as a personal computer user, then you are stretching the truth a bit too far. 

Message Edited by wjli2 on 09-28-2008 07:05 AM
Message Edited by nonny on 09-27-2008 10:07 PM
Punch Card
atlguy

[ Edited ]

well you got me wrong here. I did appreciate that they repaired my machine but when I told them that I didnt want an LCD which had a dead pixel werent ready to do anything about it. Thats the point. Some customers can live with dead pixels, others cant. I'm one of the others.

The only reason I wrote what I wrote was because in my experience I've never had a faulty screen. I did plenty of research before I purchased the machine and Lenovo fit the bill. But what irritated me the most is that they'd rather turn me away than to perform a repair to my satisfaction. With bigger customers they'll jump through the hoop to please them. I'm not even expecting unreasonable things from them. Just give me a machine which has a LCD which is to my satisfaction. Thats all.

Message Edited by atlguy on 09-27-2008 03:07 PM
Retired Moderator
tfflivemb2

I can sypmathize with you, with regard to spending $1100 only to get a machine that has dead pixels.   I would be protesting, EVEN THOUGH, it is technically within QC.  Now, a used machine, where I am not shelling out that kind of money, i can live with it.  I don't do any kind of photoshop work, or other imaging, where it would affect my abilities.

As you can tell from my signature, I have and have had MANY thinkpads throughout my life.  I have only seen LCDs with dead pixels on about 3 machines...  So, for you to get 2 back-to-back would be rare, IMHO.  Unless there is something that I am not aware of with the new LED LCDs.

My suggestion to you is to return it as planned, and then try again, with a new machine.  If you got a third bad screen, I would be MORE than suprised....stunned would be more like it.

T61,T42(x2)T41,T40(x2),R40,T30(x2),T23(x3),T21,T20,X20,A31,A21M,600/E/X(multiples of each),770X,i1400(x2),760XL,760ED(x2 w/base),380XD,755CD,750P,360P,365X,560X,701C/CS,730T,PS/Note
Bit Torrent
wjli2

Lenovo don't undertake the repair it is Solectron the largest OEM repairer in the world, they will fix it as they fit with the parts they got, Lenovo just contracts out the repair. If you think you got a bad repair (which i am not surprised with Solectron) then the only thing that the Lenovo/IBM warranty support can only resend them out to Solectron for to repair again. There is nothing Lenovo can do, which is one reason why people purchase on site warranty, so you as the customer can watch them undertake the warranty repair and fit to tell them where you think isn't right. 

Just return the laptop, and start the purchase process again with whatever brands, spec and price that suits you.  

Punch Card
atlguy

Do you guys think it is sane for me to retry with another T400? I really like the machine and I'm backing up my stuff as I write this post. Would love to have this machine without defects.

With regards to machine repair. Well whoever repairs the machine, its fine but its Lenovo's brand name that is at stake here. Shouldn't they be seeing to it that solectron should satisfy the customers?

Bit Torrent
wjli2

just get another one if you want, but i will tell you this Lenovo have treated you in a very professional manner, there are only few cases where Staff have been so candid with all the information and all your repair was done in a swift manner. You treatment by Lenovo's are second to none, this sort of turn around rate with phone calls response can only be expected for multinational company managers in Australia, many people only get called one or two days later. 

I think Lenovo is well aware with some of the problems posed by certain repairers, this battle of David versus the Goliath. Haven't seen many people complained about screen of T400 yet. Don't know the process to be honest, but since the Lenovo release the x number of dead pixel policy, some company probably are pushing the acceptable boundary. 

Bit Torrent
wjli2

here is an article that took about dead pixel on people's new laptops.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/archive/index.php/t-155137.html