Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
rockymoreno
Accepted Solution

T400 won't boot (can't access BIOS)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have a T400 2765-P3U model, and it won't boot up.  When you turn it on, you see the Thinkvantage logo and it stays there.  Trying to access the BIOS is non-responsive.  I connected the hard drive to see if it was a hard drive issue, but it's not.  The hard drive is response when connected via USB.  I can't get past the Thinkvantage logo, no response when attempting to access the BIOS.  Any ideas?  It's still under warranty, so I'll probably send it in for repair but thought I'd give it a try fixing it before hand.

What's DOS?
jherbo

Re: T400 won't boot (can't access BIOS)

I have the same problem, started 2/12/2010. Same symptoms with 2 different batteries, or plugged directly into AC with and without battery.

No ideas....

Punch Card
weavshow

Same here. Seems like it's happening semi-frequently recently (there's another thread about it around here somewhere).

I called support and they're insisting it's because I installed some malware and are demanding $150 to fix it, although I suspect there only plan is to boot from a Windows CD or something, which I've already tried and doesn't work. Bah.

Punch Card
weavshow

Uh, apparently I somehow got the sketchy number of some company that was trying to rip me off, and not actual Lenovo support. Actual Lenovo support is shipping me a box for them to fix it.

Moral of the story: 877-204-1543 is not Lenovo.

Punch Card
weavshow

Fantastic. I just got a call from Lenovo telling me that one of the USB ports is broken and broke the system board, and that the warranty is voided. They're trying to charge me $750, which is what the laptop cost in the first place.

I haven't been sticking forks in my USB ports, and my laptop is docked 90% of the time, so I'm pretty infuriated. Anybody ever have anything similar happen/know how I can convince them that I didn't do anything wrong and shouldn't have to pay for this ridiculous repair?

Retired Guru
sys3175

weavshow wrote:

Fantastic. I just got a call from Lenovo telling me that one of the USB ports is broken and broke the system board, and that the warranty is voided. They're trying to charge me $750, which is what the laptop cost in the first place.

I haven't been sticking forks in my USB ports, and my laptop is docked 90% of the time, so I'm pretty infuriated. Anybody ever have anything similar happen/know how I can convince them that I didn't do anything wrong and shouldn't have to pay for this ridiculous repair?

Were any of your USB ports physically damaged?  I've seen this happen before with in expensive cases where the port comes seperated from the housing (usually from improper insertion).  In the case of the PC i just removed the internals of the port and stopped using it, which fixed the boot error (invald voltage),  however I don't think you'll have much luck convincing them that it wasn't user fault.  If you have a bad usb device which damged the motherboard you may have an argument with the peripheral manufacturer.

Thinkpad T500-2081 CTO | T9400 2.53GHz | 8 GB RAM | ATI HD3650 + Intel GM45 | 15.4" LED WXGA+ | Windows 8 | ATI Catalyst 13.1 (non-switchable)
Thinkpad 390x | PII 333 | 256mb ram | NeoMagic 256AV | SVGA LCD | OS/2 v4.52
Punch Card
weavshow

If any of them were damaged, I had no idea. To the best of my knowledge, they were all intact and working fine. I just shut down the computer normally one day and that was all she wrote.

Retired Guru
sys3175

weavshow wrote:

If any of them were damaged, I had no idea. To the best of my knowledge, they were all intact and working fine. I just shut down the computer normally one day and that was all she wrote.

Do you remember which devices were attached to it most recently?  If for no other reason so if this happens to another PC you can determine the cause.  

Thinkpad T500-2081 CTO | T9400 2.53GHz | 8 GB RAM | ATI HD3650 + Intel GM45 | 15.4" LED WXGA+ | Windows 8 | ATI Catalyst 13.1 (non-switchable)
Thinkpad 390x | PII 333 | 256mb ram | NeoMagic 256AV | SVGA LCD | OS/2 v4.52
Punch Card
weavshow

As an update to anyone having similar problems

The depot took pictures of the damage, and my excellent deductive reasoning skills led me to this conclusion: the plastic part of the USB port came unglued (or something) and was stuck in a memory stick I had used before. I'm sure it wasn't the fault of the stick, as I'd used it with multiple machines many times before without problems. I didn't notice the plastic piece come out, so I later tried to put some other USB device in there. Without the plastic bit to guide it in, it bent/broke the pins. At the time, I didn't think anything of the fact that it wasn't going right in - I just moved on to the next port, into which it fit perfectly.

Sadly, the good folks at the depot or wherever I called refuse to acknowledge that something like this could happen. It's being escalated up to the IBM people, who I hope will be able to clearly see that the plastic bit wasn't properly secured, leading to the damage of the pins.

What's DOS?
modell

or posintRe: T400 won't boot (can't access BIOS)

Thank you for posting this info - it saved me, as I have the exact same problem. 

Here is how I fixed it myself for FREE (once your post pointed me where to look).  Yep, the little plastic bit came off the port, and the next time I tried to insert something in the port, it jammed a pin, creating a short.

Once I identified the offending USB port, I was able to take some fine needle nose pliers and pull back/restraighten the jammed pin on the USB port that was causing the short.  The computer then booted fine.  I then took a glue gun and filled in the USB port with glue so I wouldn't inadvertently try to jam another USB device in that port and reshort the pin.

The USB port is ruined of course, but the laptop has two others so I will save myself $750 and go without one USB port.  Maybe you can tell the demo depot to do the same? 

Hope this helps save you some money.