Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Botta

Re: T400s No Sound

[ Edited ]

Same thing... left speaker died after 2 weeks. T400s 2808-DEG with Windows 7 32 bit. I worked on "maximum performance" power plan when it happened so i assume its CPU heat dissipation problem

HDMI
houtsma

Strange. Mine are still working (but for how long?). Having this laptop for 2 months now. And i am working 5x8 hours on it, mostly with streaming radio station (radio-538 in the netherlands btw) running in the background at low volume. So i wonder how far my left speaker is at the moment after watching that horrible picture earlier in this thread!

--

jan

--- Lenovo Thinkpad t440p (20AN-CT01WW) + SAMSUNG MZ7TD512HAGM-000L1 SSD + 16G SDRAM + 14.0FHD 1920x1080 ---
Punch Card
samtoossi

[ Edited ]

I don't think its a gradual wear down problem. Its most likely due to a sudden surge in current, like UberSteve suggested. If it was due to heating, then my speakers should have melted a long time ago (fan is usually off using TpFanCountrol and I have stress tested the CPU into the Low 80s ). I'm not going to update BIOS/drivers/operating systems from now on. This machine seems too sensitive...."build like a tank" my *ss.

P.S My speakers are in constant use, listening to low quiality live sets with distorded basslines which are probably not good for the speaker either. HAH!

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Botta

[ Edited ]

Please dont suggest me to reinstall OS or try different BIOS like everyone thesedays do if you are arguing some issue, i mean have you seen the photos, once is dead its dead for all time. Have any of you played with fan settings in BIOS? I changed mine to "On AC - Maximum performance" at the begining and now when i return it to "Balanced (default)" i think i hear noise from fan for very first time. Could it be that some setting in BIOS stops the fan and then there is to much heat for the speaker? My Thinkpad was definetly hot on the left side.  Maybe i am just trippin' but little brainstorming is better then nothing from lenovo.

*samtoossi maybe it has to be constantly on high temperatures. My t400s is on maximum performace plan while i am at work, wich means 8 hours in a row...

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Botta

Can someone tell me is this normal. I am surfing on the internet, no other application is active and my CPU temperature is 60`c-61`c (or 140`F) and my fan does 0 RPM!!! I am using TPFC to monitor, and it shows me that i am in some SMART mode. When i switch it to BIOS mode fan starts spinning and my temperature drops to 46`c. Problem is that every time i restart, machine automaticaly enters SMART mode again. No need to mention that left side of laptop is very hot (specially that metal screen holder)

Punch Card
samtoossi

[ Edited ]

Botta wrote:

Can someone tell me is this normal. I am surfing on the internet, no other application is active and my CPU temperature is 60`c-61`c (or 140`F) and my fan does 0 RPM!!! I am using TPFC to monitor, and it shows me that i am in some SMART mode. When i switch it to BIOS mode fan starts spinning and my temperature drops to 46`c. Problem is that every time i restart, machine automaticaly enters SMART mode again. No need to mention that left side of laptop is very hot (specially that metal screen holder)

If your using TPFC and running on "maximum performance", then yes, its normal. Mine runs at around 49 C under light CPU load  with the fan off in Adaptive mode (im undervoting as well though).  You can edit the TPFancontrol.ini, and change the fan state transitions temperatures. By default, TPFC goes from fan off --> fan state 1 at 65 C (you wont be able to hear it though). Fan state 3 (this one is audible) starts at 75 C. BIOS mode is the default ACPI routine. Under  BIOS mode, your CPU runs cooler at the cost of an audible fan and a bit less battery life. If you want "BIOS" fan control, then there is no point in using TPFC. Either uninstall it, or stop it from automatically starting with Windows, or change the .ini file so that BIOS is the default mode.

The tjMax for your CPU is 105 C, so even hitting 75 C with the fan off from time to time is not a big deal, IMHO. Lenovo might disagree with this though.

Hope this answers your question, if not, please start a new thread

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Botta

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the response.

BTW i am issuing this because of dead speaker. Pls look at my temps at "Energy star" mode (on AC) when booting into Windows and idleing after:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a-gTHpd7UQ

Punch Card
samtoossi

[ Edited ]

Nice video!

hmmm, the temp seems a bit too jumpy. Mine never went into 75 unless I forced it. However, your CPU utilization is pretty high when Idle (maybe you have a lot of programs stating up) As a side note, when your in BIOS mode do you hear a whine from the fan every six seconds, as the fan speed changes? When I put my head close to the keyboard, I even hear a click every six seconds.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Botta

[ Edited ]

No, no sound when in BIOS mode.

Now i ran Orthos test stressing both cores and my temps are:

Full throttle, on battery, 10 min. - 55 C maximum

Full throttle, on AC, 2 min. - almoust 80 C and i stopped it !!!

Luckely i recorded previous session when, as you could see, 5-10 sec. of  50% CPU usage on AC made my CPU goes 75 C!?!? Still thinking that speaker failure has something to do with overheat or else right speaker would be dead also

Punch Card
samtoossi

are these figures under Smart or BIOS mode? What power plan are you using?

For Smart Mode, they seem fine to me since the fan is usually off, but under BIOS, I don't think they should get that high. Your fan seems to be working though since TPFC displays the RPM ;/