Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
CrankManiac

Re: T400s sudden shutdown

Hi there,

I hate to say it but, you have a BIOS, motherboard, or hardware issue.  When a computer is in standby mode, it's not doing anything.  All of your software has been sent to a cache and no software is running on the machine other than the BIOS indicating when to turn on or off.  This is no brainer and should have nothing to do with Windows drivers.  I would update your BIOS and rerun your system diagnostics to make sure you don't have any hardware anonmolies.

On a side note, I used to run Vista 32-bit on a T400 which had a similar problem and I downgraded to XP SP3 which fixed my problem.  This caught my eye because you said that this happens in standby.  That changes everything, it's hardware.

If I were you, I would post questions to the Microsoft DDK forums and/or Win7 forums.  Then, you can speak developer to developer to get a good answer.

Good luck.

Punch Card
Burd

If you read through the thread that I referenced (at least a few pages in), you'll note that this behavior with  the problem machines was reported with Win 7, Vista x64, and XP SP3 (as well as one user who was running a bootable  diagnostic disk-- it shutdown while running the diagnostic).   That seems to point the finger at bad hardware.  Maybe someone from the original thread can provide the ultimate resolution.

Blue Screen Again
tobyg

Re: Brand new Lenovo ThinkPad T400s (NSDCVMN / 2808CVG) suddenly shutting down?

Mine's doing it.  Just got this notebook a couple of weeks ago.  2808-C5U.  Latest bios, Win7 RTM.  Twice today it's just rebooted on it's own.  Windows just logs in the event log that the system shutdown was unexpected.

This is annoying.  How do we go about getting this fixed?  Do I have to return this notebook?  I love it, but can't deal with it rebooting in the middle of working.

Serial Port
RamGuy459

Just registered my on-site extended warranty on my T400s, when it's cleared I will immediately call the support and have someone from Lenovo / Anovo tech support to look at my T400s and see what we can do about this problem.

I also have two other flaws with my T400s, first of all it was delivered with a dead pixel (of course things like that might happen), but another disappointing thing for me is the tilting of the screen, mine has become loose after a month, if I just flick my T400s slowly, the screen will fall backwards, like the support which should keep the screen in position is barely doing anything any more? This ain't good enough for a top-line ThinkPad machine? Even my sisters cheap Acer eMachine is doing better than this, and it's almost one year old and has been through a rough teenage time?

There has to be something fishy going on with the production of my T400s, I can't seriously believe all T400s have such a weak support to the screen, nor having this power-loss issue?

Paper Tape
CrankManiac

I concur with your comments and your troubleshooting was spot on.  However, my comment was directed to mhaldima that his hardware may be faulty.  I hope that (s)he can get it squared away with Lenovo.

Cheers!

Paper Tape
mhaldima

Thanks to everyone. After your comments, a BIOS update and further tests I will return the notebook to Lenovo. This must definitely be a hardware issue.

On a second T400s, which is absolutely identical (cloned harddrive), the problem never occurs. Not even when running for several days and with processor, memoy and disk stress tests running. And the shutdown happend again in standby, which confirms this not to be a driver issue.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,276
Solutions: 275

RamGuy459,

Sorry you are still having these issues.  Perhaps onsite will swap out the system board?  

Also, when you contact service, do note the hinges.  I'm not aware of any specific issues with hinges on the T400s, but generally this is a staking issue in the hinge.  It is hard to explain, but there are several ways the pins are held in on laptop hinges - some are "D" shaped, some use a clip or epoxy.  What can happen is that the 'D' gets rounded or the epoxy bond breaks and the pin the two halves of the hinge can each then move with the pin rather than just one side.  This secondary movement creates that 5 degree range of "looseness" you are experiencing.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 408
Kudos: 1,276
Solutions: 275

mhaldima,

Do I understand you to say that you have had 2 T400s systems - identical configurations, and one randomonly shuts down while the other did not?  Further, than you swapped the drives and the problem did not follow the drive, therefore suggesting it was a hardware problem with that system?

If so, could you send me a private message with the model type and serial numbers for both systems, and please indicate which one was exhibiting this symptom?

Thanks so much!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Paper Tape
ChrisFSB

I too am experiencing random shutdowns on a week old T400s running Windows 7 RTM 64 bit. 

Is the consensus that this is a hardware fault, or should I sit tight until Lenovo ships full support for Windows 7?

Thanks, Chris.

Punch Card
gklerner

Re: T400s random shutdowns

Have had the T400s since mid July. The shutdown occurs 1/wk. 80% of the time I use the thinkpad it is unplugged, yet all the shutdowns have occured when it was plugged in. Anyone w/ similar findings? Any possibility it is an AC defect (sends some sort of a surge leading to the loss of power - even though the battery is fully charged)?