Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
kfuglsang

Re: T400s random shutdowns

[ Edited ]

RO-TPfor,

Tell me about it! I had (yet another) random shutdown while giving a presentation just before Christmas to about 50 of my co-students and supervisors. Do I have to tell they were amazed when I told them this was 'everyday' with my new Lenovo T400s? There we go; approx. 60 college IT-students and professors that didn't believe their own eyes, so surely I was not wrong when I thought I had bought a top-notch machine.

I'm happy though. Just got my machine back a few days ago from ~10 days repair to fix a sudden system fan failure, and for now, the squeekyness of the case is much less, and no shutdowns! But I guess it's just a matter of time before it will shut down again.

Last but not least, I have to admit that I will not be bringing my T400s to my exams this month, but my old consumer grade Dell Inspiron...

Fanfold Paper
davidmodic

@RO-TPfor

Well, to be fair, my T60 with discrete graphics randomly crashed too, about once per day - so the T400s is not the first flawed thinkpad I bought :smileyhappy: The x300 and older models were fine, though.

It seems to me that we, the users, will grumble, but nothing will change until a serious contender comes along. Then we'll simply go and buy that, leaving lenovo to wonder why the sales have dropped dramatically - "...but the people have actually stopped complaining, doesn't that mean we finally got it right?" "No, it means we have lost the last of our customers, and there's nobody left to complain..."

The way things stand at the moment my loyalty to the brand is being eroded, slowly, but surely - this is my sixth Thinkpad in a row (X30,T42,T43,T60,x300,T410s. There are four Thinkpads (T42, T43, x60s, T410s) used by me and my family  right now.  We'll keep buying them until something more reliable comes along and then we'll buy that and everyone (except perhaps lenovo) will be content. No need to get angry about it. If anything this is a strong message to other laptop makers to fill the niche.

I am hoping lenovo does not take my opinion as some sort of threat or harsh criticism, I am certain they have their own strategy and target audience figured out. They way things seem to be progressing, I am not going to be part of that target audience much longer. It was, and in many ways still is, sweet and unforgettable.

Cheers, David

Blue Screen Again
DerIre

So now after a few trouble free weeks over Christmas, having upgraded bios to 1.11 and downgraded the graphics driver to 1855, I just got another random shutdown. Thanks Lenovo, for your professional reaction to this widespread problem, and a happy new year!

HDMI
houtsma

I had it with all bios versions 1.09 and 1.12.  1.11 has always been clean on me. After upgrading to 1.12 the problems re-appeared. Now i have downgraded to 1.11 again and now i am fine again. So what's going to happen with 1.13??? For now i stick to 1.11.

--- Lenovo Thinkpad t440p (20AN-CT01WW) + SAMSUNG MZ7TD512HAGM-000L1 SSD + 16G SDRAM + 14.0FHD 1920x1080 ---
Punch Card
jsperson3

I concur with your thoughts, especially given that my shutdowns continued today after my not using my computer much during the holiday break. Just lost some important work that wasn't auto-saved. 
I would add that given the litigious nature of US business, Lenovo is also leaving itself open to a class action suit regarding these unreliable machines. They need to fix it now and give us some status of where they are in that process.

RO-TPfor wrote:

Well, we still have the random shutdowns - and  Lenovo remains totally silent, now nearly six months out.

Indeed, it appears Lenovo is simply leaving it to customers, on their own, to load and unload drivers, upgrade and downgrade bios versions, etc. - in hopes of stumbling by mere chance on a combination of OS, video drivers and bios versions that makes the T-400s stable and usable for serious work.

Is that our responsibility?  Shouldn't we be able to reasonably expect that our Thinkpads will not simply drop dead periodically?

The people on these forums are technically savvy and willing - but we bought these machines to do work and a willingness to go more than the extra mile to help Lenovo engineers do THEIR work does not mean Lenovo is absolved from making these machines reliable business tools.

Now, the T410 and T-410s go on sale on January 7th.  

http://www.engadget.com/photos/lenovo-leaks-thinkpad-edge-x100e-t410s-w510-t510-and-more-ahead-of-ce...

Given that the T-400s is absolutely not reliable enough for serious business use (is anyone with the shutdown problem willing to take the risk of using it for a PowerPoint presentation to 30 colleagues?), one wonders what "features" these new releases will bring.

I currently work with three Thinkpads and this T-400s is my 14th Thinkpad product. With Lenovo's total failure to come up with a fix for this problem, or even provide any meaningful communications to end-users on the status of that effort, the liklihood that I'll be buying my 15th dims.  

Am I missing something?  Am I being too harsh?  Does anyone on this forum feel Lenovo has acquitted itself adequately in either addressing the technical problem or in communicating with customers?

It's been nearly six months. 

Punch Card
jsperson3

Since we're not getting any regular updates from Lenovo on this problem, I recommend that we start posting reviews of our units on the technical review sites. Endgadget, ZDNET, CNET, PCMag, etc. Give people an honest representation of the problems with shutdowns that we've been having. It will get a much greater audience than here and I bet Lenovo will start to pay attention to the problem.

Punch Card
UberSteve

I have to agree with the above comments, the support from Lenovo on this issue has been absolutely pathetic

I am STILL waiting for my replacement T400s, after being pushed back several times, the latest is it will arrive on 18th Jan. Meanwhile, the shutdowns have returned and I have absolutely no faith in this machine. I now enjoy the audio through the right speaker only, since the left speaker crapped itself..

When/if my replacement ever arrives, I don't think i'll even open it, i'm selling it. Lenovo don't know what the problem is and their solution at this point is to swap system boards / replace machines in hope the problem will simply go away...they should be offering us our money back!!

802.11n
pleon

Well its really strange i had these shutdowns as well but from update to last BIOS, reset BIOS to default values and reinstall Windows 7 i do not have this problem (i did it in time last BIOS has been released). I use it each day lot of hours and no problems. I am really interested, if and when it really happends again. I have also ordered another T400s for my frined so i am interested, what magic things will happen on that machine.
----------------------------------------------------
Lenovo T430s, 2356LQG, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 UEFI, Intel 520 SSD 180 GB, 8 GB RAM
Lenovo T420s, 4171-6SG, Windows 8 Pro x64 UEFI, Intel 320 SSD 120 GB, 8 GB RAM
Lenovo T400s, 2808-CYG, Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Punch Card
samtoossi

What happened!? I thought we solved the shutdown problem with the intel driver downgrade/BIOS update. Are you guys sure you didn't change any settings/drivers unknowingly?

This is a long shot, but I'm undervolting my laptop. Maybe thats keeping away the shutdowns for me.

I wonder what happened to Mark from Lenovo. He used to update us from time to time. I haven't had shutdowns lately, but I got other problems with Lenovo now. I've placed two orders in the past month. I canceled the first one because it was taking them more than a month to fullfil it. I'm close to canceling my current order, placed on Dec. 18th, as well. Its for a battery! How hard is it for Lenovo to ship a battery for their own laptop?!

I wont be buying or recommending Lenovos again. And I've got lots of free time on my hand these days, so I'll be posting my complaints on other forums and review sites too as suggested here. This is not the way to run a business Lenovo. I don't know who (you think) your target audience is, but you wont have an audience if you treat your customers like this after you sell them a $2000+ laptop.

802.11n
pleon

Well i have this last intel graphic driver problem as well, but there is a workaround how to solve it simply. This problem occurs, if you work on battery, switch laptop to sleep, in sleep mode plug the charger and try resume - then display is crashed. but if you switched on battery to sleep mode and you resume back and AFTERWARDS you plug the charger, then this problem does not appear. Simply if you sleep on batery, you have to resume again on battery and after that plug charger. Simple.
----------------------------------------------------
Lenovo T430s, 2356LQG, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 UEFI, Intel 520 SSD 180 GB, 8 GB RAM
Lenovo T420s, 4171-6SG, Windows 8 Pro x64 UEFI, Intel 320 SSD 120 GB, 8 GB RAM
Lenovo T400s, 2808-CYG, Windows 7 Ultimate x64