Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Re: T400s random shutdowns

mpcook,

Sorry that you your experience with service reflected inconsistent levels of knowledge / awareness of the issue here.  If you could send me a PM with your service case number and model / serial number I'd like to look into that.

Also, could you tell us a bit more about how the new board didn't work?  No power?  No display?  Or would not boot properly?    Please let us know the outcome of the follow up service.

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Blue Screen Again
lindros2

So as it is nearly October, 2010, this issue *still* hasn't been resolved?

I have a ~2 month old machine which does this, and my only solution is to have Lenovo swap the system board?

Does anyone at Lenovo have an idea of what the root cause is?  Could a BIOS patch fix it?

Punch Card
mpcook

Thanks Mark for your reply.  I will PM you with details.  The tech arrived today and put in another new board.  So far, all is fine, although I will have to wait and see if I get a random shut down.  The defective new board he installed yesterday would not boot all the way up.  Windows would hang, and only after reseating battery and charger would it even power up again, then it would hang again.  Most times, pressing the power button multiple times would do nothing.  This was so different from the symptoms I started with, it was obviously a new problem, either the board or the installation.  Today, the new board went in and the machine started right up in a normal way.  I will hope for the best now.  I noted that this was the first T400s board the tech has had to replace.

I do still have a sneaking suspicion that this could be a Windows 7 problem, only because (a) I had a newer system board to start (60...) which I understood was not a "problem board" and (b) because the problem only started after upgrading to 7 from XP a few weeks ago, the machine running fine for the 9 months prior.  Hopefully I am wrong and the new board solves my issue.

Mike

Punch Card
mpcook

I had another shutdown over night.   This is very discouraging.  I was running diagnostics via TVT unattended.

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

Lindros2,

I suppose I need to mark emphasize an earlier post as the "solution"  for clarity - this thread is way to long to read.  The BIOS update in that message covered some other symptoms that could affect similar vintage systems but were not to remedy this shutdown issue.

Yes, Lenovo has know since Jan 2010 what the issue is and it has been addressed.  T400s systems have been out of production for a while now, so if you have one that is "only 2 months old" then I suspect it is NOS (New Old Stock) - I.E. some that has been in inventory somewhere for a while.  It is possible that some of these will continue to surface and users will experience symptoms and wonder why if these issues are all in the past.  The answer is most likely that these systems were out of Lenovo hands, in the channel and had not been updated. 

This issue is hardware and it requires an updated system board.  Not every system was affected, as it was a tolerance issue with a voltage regulation component.

BIOS patch will not address.   

There are also some comments getting interjected here that are not related to this problem - there are unrelated issues / symptoms of systems not executing proper power management shutdown / suspend / hibernate.

These are not related to the original problem here and are off topic and will need to start being moved to start new threads.

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
mpcook

Thanks for your help Mark.  I have sent you a PM with the last results.

Mike

Fanfold Paper
BobDobalina

Finally got around to shipping mine out. Called Lenovo on Friday, had my box on Monday. Dropped it off on Tuesday and got the laptop back with a new mobo today (Thursday). Impressive turn-around... now let's see if she stops turning herself off.

Blue Screen Again
lindros2

Mark -- I was told today by my helpdesk (after requesting a replacement) that some T410s machines (presumably new-new and not NOS) are also facing this issue.

Since my machine is business-critical (the 2+ week response time here should give you some idea), can you provide any insight into whether this issue is confined to the T400s?

My machine shut down twice today; both times the machine was cool (on for less than 30 minutes) and one time was idle (idle in the sense that I wasn't actively doing anything).
Blue Screen Again
lindros2

My final comments on this subject is in line with my previous Lenovo experience:

Lenovo's knowledge base, knowledge management, and support system(s) appear to be completely disconnected.  There was not a single notification (to the support rep or the "dispatcher") that the T400s (product ID 2823-B38) had any issues.

"It might be software," they said.

I had to "sell" my problem to two separate individuals, who negated the "reliability" of this forum (which I might point out IS HOSTED BY LENOVO).  "I cannot go with information on the Internet," they said.

Then why did Lenovo spend $10 million on Lithium?

This is the second machine - and second voltage-related case - in which the support reps pushed back on a "known" issue.

Known to everyone but them, I guess.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Somehow in that situation, I think I'd probably rage and ask for a tech who doesn't have his head up somewhere and is able to think for themselves.

W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase