Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
RamGuy459
Accepted Solution

T400s random shutdowns

[ Edited ]

I've got a brand new Lenovo ThinkPad T400s (NSDCVMN / 2808CVG), installed with Windows7 Ultimate 7600 64-bit, with all the latest Win7 drivers etc..

It has been working thrillingly from day one! It's much more smooth and performance overall better than my previouse SL300, along with the build quality being ten times better!

But sometimes it just shuts down? Just like that, there is no bluescreen, nothing it just goes black out of nowhere sometimes?

It's like the power just shuts for a second? It's not the battery being out, as when I turn it back on I've got plently left, it even happens when I got the power cord connected? I also got a UltraBay II battery in my T400s.

Any ideas what might cause this annoying problem? 

Message Edited by RamGuy459 on 07-25-2009 01:10 AM
Punch Card
gklerner

Re: Brand new Lenovo ThinkPad T400s (NSDCVMN / 2808CVG) suddenly shutting down?

RamGuy459 wrote:

I've got a brand new Lenovo ThinkPad T400s (NSDCVMN / 2808CVG), installed with Windows7 Ultimate 7600 64-bit, with all the latest Win7 drivers etc..

It has been working thrillingly from day one! It's much more smooth and performance overall better than my previous SL300, along with the build quality being ten times better!

But sometimes it just shuts down? Just like that, there is no bluescreen, nothing it just goes black out of nowhere sometimes?

It's like the power just shuts for a second? It's not the battery being out, as when I turn it back on I've got plently left, it even happens when I got the power cord connected? I also got a UltraBay II battery in my T400s.

Has happened twice to me over the past two weeks, yeah seems like power goes out (both times was plugged in). Likely hardware (since it was instantaneous). Have a bad feeling about this pattern. (guess will wait for a recall) Otherwise, love the T400S. (CTO2801 P9600/3GB/128SSD/WiFi5150/no camera/no BT/Win7x32 RC7100)
billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

RamGuy459 wrote:

Using a pre-release version of an OS.

Until you install a released and fully supported OS, you are not likely to get any useful support for the problem you describe.

Cheers,

Bill 

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Serial Port
RamGuy459

Is not really a BETA OS, as I'm running the final RTM-build?

I doesn't seem to have anything to do with the OS at all anyway, so I don't really get why my thread was moved from the T400 section?

I've tried with Windows Vista Business 64-bit Service Pack 2 as well, with all latest drivers and the same thing keeps happening.

It feels like power just disappears for a split second, regardless of the power cord being connected or not?

As it keeps happening even with a different OS, and there is no  sign of the failure coming before it suddenly hits, no lagging, freezing or anything of any sort? No bluescreen or failure message, just the computer becoming dead in a split second, forcing me to power it up manually afterwards it seems to be some sort of a hardware problem? 

Community SuperMod
bananaman

What you have is Windows 7 RTM plus beta drivers and software.

RTM is the phase where the OEM's get to add their drivers and software, do their final tweaking, and create production images for the October 22nd Windows 7 release. Lenovo has made their beta Windows 7 drivers and software available to us, and is about to make available a new beta round.

Since you've now reproduced your problem with Vista, I'm going to move this thread back to the T400 / T500 and newer T series ThinkPads topic.

My advice would be to load up the factory Vista install and send it for warranty repair with a clear description of how to reproduce the problem.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Serial Port
RamGuy459

Bit hard to describe how to reproduce the problem, as it simply happens out of nowhere.

It might happen early in the morning, mid-day, evening etc.

It has nothing to do with load either, I've tried Memtest86+, Furmark stress test, Prime95 and Intel Burn Test without any problems occuring. And suddenly while I chat on Live Messenger later the same day the computer just goes black and I have to power it up again.

What's DOS?
foolhaha

Same problem here. Happened once. I have Windows Vista Ultimate x64 installed. It seems lost power instaneously (I had AC power plugged-in).

It seems this is not an isolated case. Can someone from Lenovo say something?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

make sure your bios is fully update to date... 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Serial Port
RamGuy459

There is just one BIOS release currently available, so not really possible to do a update?
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

try to reflash the bios and see whether that helps... 
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft