Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
mpcook

Re: T400s random shutdowns

Mark_Lenovo wrote:

All,

We provide our dealers and servicers with appropriate techical tips  and bulletins in an organized system to aid them in problem determination on an ongoing basis.  The parts logistics systems handles all the part substitution decisions based on disposition codes set by engineering.

We don't provide hardware revision information like release notes on a bios "This part fixes issues A, B, and C".  The tips provide them symptom / solution guidance.  It's all handled by the logistics system and p/n level controls.

I think that if you are having a conversation with service next week and you clearly explain the unexpected power off symptom - ONLY on a T400s system, that appropriate service actions should result. 

Mark

Well unfortunately this problem has appeared on my T400s and no such response from warranty support. I was told to take out the battery, run diagnostics, they have no record of this type of problem with the T400s, Windows 7 install - reimage the machine, reseat the battery, check battery status in power manager, keep running it until it happens again.  OK I am awaiting it to happen again so I can call again. 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
pingyizhi

just check the fru and go page 36 of this talk to see whether they owe you a replacement of your system board.

Fanfold Paper
jocazjoe

I work on these T400's for a living and I assure you that its a design defect, because the only thing to do is to replace the system board.
I know I've had to replace about 10 system boards in the last 3 months.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
pingyizhi

Hi, can i ask how long does it usually take for you to do a replacement? mine has been sent for almost 10 days and no news is heard... 3x

Punch Card
mpcook

pingyizhi wrote:

just check the fru and go page 36 of this talk to see whether they owe you a replacement of your system board.

It looks like I have a "60..." board, so in theory, it should be fine.  Since changing around power settings, it's been running fine now for about 24 hours, but I know that doesn't in anyway prove anything one way or the other.

Fanfold Paper
Direction361

new issue of shutdown

2 weeks ago I updated PM to the latest version, I set up the system to be in sleep after 20 mins as power is on. but it always shutdown instead of sleep.

how to fix the problem?
Ctrl-Alt-Del
pingyizhi

there are two panels to manage power settings, though power manager of lenovo and though power settings of microsoft. check both to decide whether to ask for service.
Punch Card
mpcook

My "60..." board is being replaced under onsite warranty by a "63..." board.  Hopefully that solves the problem.   This time when I called, the tech knew exactly the problem and the solution. The previous two techs knew nothing about this problem and the MB replacement.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
pingyizhi

you guys are lucky.

i am not.

the first time my pad was sent, they opened it and refused to do the replacement. and when i received it, i found that they did not connect the system board to the system board. cool! the second time they did the replacement by using a 55y one. and when i received it i found that they did not connect the wire controller to the system board. how pro!

i really hope lenovo to hire some guys who really know how computers work, instead of arrogant ignorant Mr. know-alls.

Punch Card
mpcook

Just an update, IBM arrived today to replace the "60" system board with a "63" board.  This was done, and the machine would not start up.  The tech has ordered another new system board and will be back tomorrow.   :x