Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
Simon_CH

T400s vertical line down the screen - outside of warranty

Hi

I've had a T400s for just a 2 bit over 2 years now and was always happy with it. I used it mostly with my docking station and have never travelled with it. Now out of the blue one day half the screen was black with a few pixel problems right in the middle with a clear vertical line down the screen. I was perplexed because I was sure no damage whatsoever happened to the notebook.

I googled and it seems to be a common problem:

A link among others:

"We have about 1200 T400s systems deployed and there has been a higher than normal failure rate with them compared to X301 and T61 systems. Our issues are LCD failure with a vertical line down the screen (very common), Speaker/Audio issues, and DoA systems."

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=89101

The problem seems to be known:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-76367

But since the notebook is outside of warranty but it's obviously a manufacturing problem on a (very) expensive notebook, how could I approach Lenovo service center to repair it for me? I have shelled out well over 2'500 Euro for the latest model back then and am a bit disappointed to be honest..

Thanks for any advice on how to approach this!

Simon

What's DOS?
Simon_CH

Betreff: T400s vertical line down the screen - outside of warranty

Nobody with an idea how to approach this?

Bit Torrent
tripplec

Well remember this is NOT IBM!!

Its a Chinese company now. You're out of warranty. If you purchase through dealer they maybe able to help you. Otherwise call you local customer relation at Lenovo and voice your concerns etc

T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz
Intel Sandy Bridge & Nvidia NVS 4200M graphics Intel N 6300 Wi-Fi adapter
Windows 7 Home Prem - 64bit w/8GB DDR3
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

@tripplec, i don't understand how a Chinese company affects the outcome of the OP's problem? Would IBM do it differently?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
sameerbhan
Topics: 2
Kudos: 16
Solutions: 10

Re: T400s vertical line down the screen - outside of warranty

As vertical line appears on the LCD screen, To diagnose, I would suggest you to please update the Graphics driver and also update the Bios of your system from the below mentioned web link.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page?

After this, please restart the system and check if the issue resolved.

If the vertical line still appears please contact the lenovo service centre and there the available representative will assist you .

Regards,

Sameer

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Bit Torrent
tripplec

lead_org wrote:
@tripplec, i don't understand how a Chinese company affects the outcome of the OP's problem? Would IBM do it differently?

Yes, I spent 3 years at a Toronto Bank who bought say 500 systems or so plus notebooks. ThinkPad's and Think Center product. I supported did the warranty work while there. When the warranty was up it was up!! Even if a  lowly optical mouse fail and a number of them did. Too bad nor replacement.

I've delt with IBM, Compaq and HP. There customer relations is entirely at at different level and would and did on  may occasions provide one time post warranty repair even for catestophic issues well after warranty was over. This is a case by case basis. You could reach them and talk to them (locally) and not haveway around the world having no sense of what significance your case it.

There is a difference as was the turn around time  48hrs max and not weeks.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,341

I guess during those times a thinkpad cost a lot more too. But Lenovo does provide once off authorisation for repairs even after warranty is out. There are many cases for this, all you need to do is to have a look through the forum posts.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Bit Torrent
tripplec

lead_org wrote:
I guess during those times a thinkpad cost a lot more too. But Lenovo does provide once off authorisation for repairs even after warranty is out. There are many cases for this, all you need to do is to have a look through the forum posts.

Well the problem I have seen is getting transfered to a customer relations manager or someone higher up. Speaking to a foreign support person will get you knowhere. Calling until you at least get to talk to some you can make you case to is the first step.

As for examples of this. I've not been on the forum long enough to have  seen it and LEAD_ORG wrote may be correct. Good luck.

What's DOS?
DaveGarfinkel

I had this issue a few months ago in a t400s and fixed it by gently twisting the top of the screen frame until it went away.  The issue has not (yet) returned.

Not the most elegant solution but it was quick/easy/cheap and the screen works great now.