Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
hubertlam

Re: T410 2561CTO random freezes without anything in Windows Event Viewer! :(

ColonelONeill wrote:
True. Did it ever work properly, though?

There is a way to restore the preload without affecting your existing install, which would save the hassle of having to reinstall all of your programs.

Hi Colonel

The original preload did work for only a couple of days before the lock ups started.

How would you restore the preload without affecting the current install? Install in another partition?

Guru
ColonelONeill

[ Edited ]

Essentially, yeah.

Create another partition at the end of the drive by shrinking your existing partition.(I recommend using a defrag pass to consolidate everything to the front of the drive, and how this is done depends on your defragger of choice, rather than letting the defrag software move it.)

Navigate to Q: (assuming you kept it, not sure how the recovery DVD is structured) and show hidden and system files. Find the cdrivebackup.wim and open it with 7-zip. Extract the contents to the existing partition. While this is happening, you can continue to use the system, which is nicer than with recovery media. After it extracts, use EasyBCD to add a boot entry for it.

As an aside:

This is also my preferred method for installing a second copy of Windows 7/2008R2 without having to go through the whole installer stuff and put my system out of commission during the process.

W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Token Ring
hubertlam

I've found a very unlikely suspect for the freezing: the fingerprint reader.

Last week the laptop was working fine with the integrated graphics/discrete graphics + wireless but not Optimus + wireless.

I decided to reformat and reinstall over the weekend. No surprises there until Sunday when the machine froze using discrete graphics + Ethernet!

So I switched it to integrated graphics. It didn't freeze again until this morning at school when the computer was locked (i.e. whilst in Windows, Ctrl-Alt-Del then lock).

It occurred to me that I have locked the computer (a couple of occasions) before, walked away and 5 min later when trying to unlock the computer via fingerprint, the machine froze.

So I decided to disable to fingerprint reader in the BIOS. The problem has now disappeared -- and I'm now using Optimus graphics.

Again it's difficult to tell whether it's the fingerprint driver from UPEK that is causing the trouble, or Client Security Solution or the hardware. However I have uninstalled CSS in the past to no avail -- it still locked up.

Token Ring
hubertlam

hmmm... got this e-mail reply from the IBM technician I'm working with to solve the freezing:

So to confirm you have enabled everything else back to normal state and disabled the fingerprint reader in BIOS how long have you tried this for?

The cable that attaches to the fingerprint reader is also the same cable that connects to the bluetooth, You may need to run with it for a couple of days and see if freezing happens again, or disconnect the cable from the finger print reader and see if it the problem.happens. Let me know your thoughts.
Regards,

So now it could even be the cable connecting the bluetooth + fingerprint reader to the motherboard!?!?!??!

Token Ring
hubertlam

It's now been a whole month since the last post. IBM has come around to replace the system board, and whilst doing that, replaced the old "faulty" board with one that is even more faulty -- the 3G WWAN card slot is broken!

The lock ups are still there, despite Bluetooth turned off in the BIOS. This machine is a no hope unfortunately.

Lenovo has finally agreed to replace the machine with a new one. However, only time will tell.... there may also be a chance that the replacement is a T420 (?) as there are no more T410 machines in production.......

Lenovo FTSS - Contributor
ThinkGreen

Re: T410 2516CTO random freezes without anything in Windows Event Viewer! :(

That was close ... suspecting the WLAN card as the symptom disappears when the radio switch is turned off.

In fact it looks like the rootcause of this rare freeze under certain circumstances is the Gobi2k.

The solution is to install the driver with parameter SS=1, instead of the default of SS=0.

This prevents the card from suspend (and hence might consume more battery) but no freezes were seen on failing machines after that update.

Hope that helps ...

cYa ... Dirk©

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
As money not spent, won't make anyone richer
so knowledge not shared, won't make anyone wiser.

... and no, I'm not working for DELL
Lenovo FTSS - Contributor
ThinkGreen

Re: T410 2516CTO random freezes without anything in Windows Event Viewer! :(

sorry, SS (selective suspend) should be disabled, i.e. set to "0" instead of "1" (default)
cYa ... Dirk©

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
As money not spent, won't make anyone richer
so knowledge not shared, won't make anyone wiser.

... and no, I'm not working for DELL