Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
chudak

Re: T410 CPU fan failures?

I recently started getting the fan error message on boot on a 2 and a half year old T410.

I called Lenovo support and they refused to handle this under warranty since the machine is so old. They would only do a depot service at my cost.

Token Ring
Kicker774

Unfortunatley that seems to be Lenovos tune lately.

If you plan on replacing the fan yourself besure to get FRU # 45M2724 and not the same FRU as your defective fan (Most likely 45M2722)

There is a used one here for under $30:

http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/88-61323-17998/Cooling_Fan__Lenovo_Thinkpad_T410i_Series.html

What's DOS?
appcain

All,

after testing i can confirm that this happens when the laptop has been sitting off for a while.

i noticed one T410 that was working fine, after it was turned off (not used) for a while , i try to power it up and all the sudden i see the "Fan Error". i then did a BIOS update using a bootable CD which started the fan again but I can't say for sure if the error will re-surface.

i hope the above info will help and maybe lenovo will have a permanent BIOS fix

Thanks,

Token Ring
Kicker774

appcain wrote:

i then did a BIOS update using a bootable CD which started the fan again but I can't say for sure if the error will re-surface.

i hope the above info will help and maybe lenovo will have a permanent BIOS fix

Thanks,

It will fail again. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow ...

The permanent fix is to replace it and be done with it.

Fanfold Paper
bobbybobbob

im about to upgrade a cpu on a thinpad t410i. Im just wondering that as i will be takinbg the fan assembly out whther its worth replacing. Its the 45M2722 which is currently working fine. is there any benefit swapping it out for the FRU # 45M2724? can you tell em the differences between them. thanks.

Serial Port
mBurch

After all my experience with my T410 I wonder if it's worth to replace the CPU...

Fanfold Paper
bobbybobbob

swapped the fan out, the 2724 fan seems quieter.
HDMI
veechee

Re: T410s CPU fan failure after warranty expiry

[ Edited ]

I have a ThinkPad T410s (type 2901CTO) with 3-year onsite warranty and ThinkPad Protection.

- Warranty expiry date March 26, 2013

- Fan error message appeared April 1, 2013

IBM technical support advises that they cannot assist me at all because the warranty is expired.  I know from emails I have between Lenovo sales and myself that I did not receive this laptop until April because I wasn't emailed the tracking number until April 5, 2010.  Unfortunately the UPS tracking number can no longer be accessed online to verify the delivery date.

I'm being denied service for a machine that should still be under warranty because I hadn't yet received the PC on March 27, 2010 which is when the warranty began.  Secondly, from what I've read, fan problems were frequent on this machine type.  Thanks a lot Lenovo.

Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

veechee,

If you have the proof of purchase - the sales order, I think you can contact service and fax that in and they can reset the warranty dates.  We shouldn't need the tracking number.

In the mean time, can you send me a PM with your contact information, the model / serial of this unit, and the service case number (if you got one) when you called?

Let's look into this and see what can be done to help you .

I think is may also be worth noting for others that the T410 and T410s use different fans, so I'm not sure we can just lump these all together...

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
HDMI
veechee

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for your prompt reply.  I have sent you a PM with all of the details.