Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
rudytheready
Accepted Solution

T410 DVD UJ892 Issue, 'prepared for safe removal'

When I first received my T410 a couple of weeks ago, several programs which access the Mat**bleep**a DVD-RAM UJ892 drive did not recognize it. I updated the BIOS and the programs seemed to work, that is temporarily.

The machine works better, but still the DVD drive frequently becomes unrecognized completely, or the icon in Device Manager is marked with a yellow '!' (Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for “safe removal”, but has not been removed from the computer (Code 47). To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.) Rebooting the machine causes the device to be recognized again and removes the ‘safe removal’ status.

When the device is in ‘safe removal’ status, any attempt to manipulate it with Device Manager will cause Device Manager to hang. Removing and plugging the drive back in will not return the drive status to normal. The machine must be rebooted. Seemingly this also causes the machine to hang when it shut down making it necessary to force it to shut down.

If one manually marks the DVD drive for safe removal and then removes it, it remains in the list of devices that can be removed, but is grayed out. The drive still appears in Device Manager as prepared for safe removal. When the drive is plugged back in, it is not recognized. A scan for new hardware will not find it. Only when the machine is rebooted can the drive be used again.

Any help in finding a solution would be appreciated.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: T410 DVD UJ892 Issue, 'prepared for safe removal'

Try taking out the optical drive and reinserting it.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Paper Tape
rudytheready

Taking the drive out does not solve the problem. It is too simple. The OS sets too many flags which are not carried in the drive itself.

I solved the problem this way. With the drive in and recognized by the device manager, I used the device manager to uninstall the drive. Then I removed the physical drive. I then rebooted the computer. This seemed to clear all of the lingering flags which abound in the OS.

I reinserted the physical drive. The operating system recognized it and reinstalled it. I have not had any problems since. 

Paper Tape
karposs

Re: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT30N issue

Brand New, T510, Win7-32bit.  with  HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT30N

Msg:

DVDRW (E:smileyhappy: Powered Off.

I right click to power on but it doesn't work.

Also, says that: Windows cannot use the device because has been prepared for "safe removeal" Code47

any input as to whats going on and what can i do to fix it?

Thanks.

Maliha

Hi and welcome to the forum karposs!

Have you tried to reseat the drive and done what the OP did to solve his/her issue? Removal instructions can be found here or at lenovo service video's website.

Keep us updated.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Paper Tape
karposs

Now its working.  I download and install the battery firmware then on the battery power manager I select: power source optimized. Now the DVD RW is always on and ready to go.

Paper Tape
karposs

Me and my bad manners, Ms. Maliha. Thank you for your nice welcome and advice.
Maliha

Don't mention it :smileyhappy:

I'm glad that you worked your way through it, and thanks for sharing the solution!

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Paper Tape
mellu

Issue is the SP1 installation, you have to reinstall ThinkVantage Power manager, before this you have to remove also software from Device manager. Let W7 install his own software (some restarts). When you reinstalling the software choose custom install, and don't let the program start when windows starts (custom inst). Worked for me.