Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
szewc83
Accepted Solution

T410 - Fingerprint Reader and TouchPad failure after lid closed

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone,
I have a ThinkPad T410, Intel Core i7 M620, 2.67GHz, 250 GB HDD, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA 3100, Windows 7

There are two issues with it:
Issue 1: After waking up from sleep mode the fingerprint reader does not work. Manual password typing is required.
Issue 2: At a random moment the TouchPad would stop working.

Issue 1 is extremely annoying. It does not happen every time, but often enough to be very annoyed.
    There are different scenarios I can describe:
Scenario 1:     Closing the lid makes the laptop go to sleep. Opening the lid makes the laptop turn the screen on but there is a prompt for login. At this point the Finerprint reader is not active anymore and manual typing of the password is required.

Scenario 2:     Closing the lid makes the laptop go to sleep. Opening the lid does nothing. The green LED on the Fingerprint reader is lit on. Swiping the Fingerprint reader turns on the laptop. Login screen appears and manual typing of password is required. Fingerprint reader is not accessible at this point.
Scenario 3:     Pressing Function+Sleep makes the laptop go to sleep. The green LED on the Fingerprint reader is lit on. Swiping the Fingerprint reader turns on the laptop. Login screen appears and manual typing of password is required. Fingerprint reader is not accessible at this point.

After each Scenario I would login manually and the Fingerprint reader does not work with Password Vault giving a message that it is not present in the system. After waiting for some time (maybe around 15 minutes) the Fingerprint reader starts working again.

At the same time I had a problem with the TouchPad refusing to work at a random moment.
It would just stop working every now and then and not work until a system reboot.

I have used my super cool NextDay on the site warranty (I am so glad I paid the extra amount - the service is awesome) to have a guy come over and fix a faulty speaker. At the same time he inspected the fingerprint problem. He said that the Fingerprint reader and Touchpad are connected to the motherboard using one cable and that maybe this is causing the problem. He came next day to replace the Touchpad and fingerprint reader part of the laptop case (all the plastic around the keyboard that you put your wrists on). However, he did not replace the cable that connects both devices to the motherboard (he said that those are almost never faulty)

After this was done I have not once experienced the Touchpad freezing problem. (so far... for 4 days now)
Fingerprint reader problem did not change at all. It happens with the same frequency as before the repair.

I have recovered my system to factory state using the Recovery Media made on day 1 after purchase. This did not change anything.

If anyone else experienced this problem and has a solution, please let me know.
Reference to some other forum or topic is also welcome. If I find a solution I will post it as well.

Thanks

AFTER Several months of pain I have found a solution to this problem:

I got rid of this problem by reformatting everything using the original recovery discs. Manual backup of my data, then reformatting of the drive with new system installed. Good as new, just without the problem anymore :smileywink:

A friend told me that his laptop from a different company had a similar problem and he found out after hours of research that sequence in which the drivers were installed on his system had ENORMOUS effect on the system.

I am not saying this is the case here, but maybe something "just clicked"...

No problem with my FingerprintReader anymore. I have done this action some 2-3 weeks ago and I have not had a single occurrence of the FingerprintReader error since that time.

Good luck to all.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: T410 - Fingerprint Reader and TouchPad failure after lid closed

I don't have a T410, but you can try to disable the "Allow the computer to put this device to sleep" under Device Manager. Not sure if that'll do anything.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Fanfold Paper
szewc83

[ Edited ]

ColonelONeill wrote:
[...]disable the "Allow the computer to put this device to sleep" under Device Manager.[...]

This did not help at all.

In fact, after opening the lid of the laptop, the Fingerprint Reader is functioning, then I use it to wake the laptop but instead of waking it and logging into windows, it just wakes the system and switches off before auto-typing the password (logging in). This leaves me with a Fingerprint Reader switched off while the logon screen is on.

Just a guess: Maybe there is a mixup in the driver and it tells the Fingerprint that the system is actually going to sleep ?

Guru
ColonelONeill

Yeah, I'd say uninstall the entire Lenovo Fingerprint Driver suite, run a cleanup with CCleaner to get rid of any stragglers, then download and reinstall the latest one from the T410 driver matrix.
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Fanfold Paper
szewc83

Reinstalling the fingerprint driver did not work.

I get this message: "The requested operation requires fingerprint authentication but the device is not available. Please make sure the device is connected and retry the operation."

Punch Card
lexteo

i receive the same message: "The requested operation requires fingerprint authentication but the device is not available. Please make sure the device is connected and retry the operation." cannot use the finger print except for logon at startup and power on.

Lenovo T410, 2518EUG, Windows 7 Pro x64
What's DOS?
huntscomputer

I'm having the same problem. I don't have any solutions. Anyone know if the program runs as a service... one that could be restarted when the scanner stops working?

What's DOS?
huntscomputer

I did some additional research and noticed that while the finger print reader is NOT working, you can open the Device Manager and see that "windows has disabled the device because it has malfunctioned"; You can return the finger-print-reader to working status by right clicking on the device, manually disabling it, and then re-enabling it. The the finger print reader works properly again... until it decides not to again. I'm thinking that this is a driver issue.
What's DOS?
BigBoss223

I get a similar issue

I get the USB malfunctions error on numerous occasions for the fingerprint reader .

When i check device manager the biometric device is not there 80% of the time. And the icons in the device manager continually flash.

I have had my fingerprint reader (the board that it is on) replaced on one occasion, this fixed the issue for one day and then it started behaving as it did previously.

I have installed new drivers found on UPEK but this did not fix gthe problem.

I am wondering if it is a powering issue from the USB hub??

Additionally:

When i come back to my computer after a while and it has entered sleep mode. The fingerprint reader light is on and allows me to swipe my finger once. After this one occassion it then turns off.

Fanfold Paper
szewc83

I got rid of this problem by reformatting everything using the original recovery discs.

I did try this action before, but this time it worked.

A friend told me that his laptop from a different company had a similar problem and he found out after hours of research that sequence in which the drivers were installed on his system had ENORMOUS effect on the system.

I am not saying this is the case here, but maybe something "just clicked"...

No problem with my FingerprintReader anymore. I have done this action some 2-3 weeks ago and I have not had a single occurrence of the FingerprintReader error.

Good luck to all.