Support in other languages: 
SCSI Port
TinyRK

Re: T410 - LED backlight turns off as soon its plugged in and battery threshold warning pops up

Mark,

I still have this issue as well (I opened this thread).

I live in the States, so if you need a "sample machine" I'll offer you mine, if you can guarantee me a quick turn-around/ roundtrip-shipping.

Punch Card
Ctrl-z

Re: T410 - LED backlight turns off as soon its plugged in and battery threshold warning pops up

As another one of those affected by this annoying problem I've been casually following this thread for almost a year. I see that we have now attracted the attention of Mark Lenovo, so perhaps that will provide the needed impetus for an actual solution.

If you're unlucky enough to have one of these affected T410 laptops, it is extremely easy to reproduce the problem. It occurs nearly 100% of the time if the battery is below about 15% charge while occuring maybe 5% of the time when the battery is above 50% charge. I suspect it really does have something to do with the power management software as when I changed to a different version as recommended elsewhere in this thread, the problem immediately nearly disappeared for me. Though for reasons I cannot fathom, it came back after a few weeks. 

Even though my warranty is about to expire, this is not a problem I deem worthy of sending my laptop into a distant service depot for an indeterminate time for an indeterminate fix. When I plug in the A/C and the backlight goes off, I close the lid, wait for sleep mode, open it up, and scan my fingerprint. A 15 second inconvenience. I like my T410 a lot but it's unnerving to see Lenovo still unable to fix an easily reproduceable problem a year after its reported.

Token Ring
punchinello

[ Edited ]

@Mark,

Thank you for giving me the feeling now, that this problem is taken serious care of.  The problem with sending my t410 to your tech team is that i desperatly rely on this computer since i am a student and do all kinds of work on it. I can't risk not having this machine around for a week or two. And I guess only the shipping from Germany to where ever in Europe your tech team is located will take some days alone. That is really not an option right now.

But I'll be on vacation in middle of march for a week. In this week I guess I don't need the notebook. But definitly after that. I don't know. Is it possible for you guys to manage that in one week only? In this case I'll be happy to offer you my system to test this issue.

I even can offer you to do another clean install/recovery.

Lenovo X220 (Model: 4290-G51) | Intel Core i7 2460M | Intel HD 3000 | 2 x 8 GB CORSAIR DDR3-1333 RAM | 256GB SAMSUNG 840 Basic SSD | 9-Cell orig. Lenovo Battery 29++ (FRU: 42T4942, LGC) | BIOS V1.29 | Power Manager V6.65.1 | Power Management Driver V1.67.04.05 | Windows 7 Professional 64Bit (up-to-date)
Paper Tape
kmw63

Same problem here, in addition to the wireless dropping problem described in other threads.  I have thinkpad protection and  I've called support numerous times with no solution.  Each time they try to tell me I haven't correctly reinstalled drivers etc.  After 5 months they are finally sending out an onsite service provider to put in a new wireless card and some kind of inverter for the screen (I'm not quite a computer guy).  So we'll see if this is hardware or not, I'll update after the fix. For a $1600 computer with $300 "protection" I'm really hoping this works, otherwise it's looking like an apple for sure next time.  I don't understand why support finds this problem such a surprise and have no idea of hearing it in the past.  All they have to do is type it into google and see I'm not making this stuff up.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

Do refer to the Knowledge Base articles on this issue.

Checklist before calling service centers.

Or

Workaround if you prefer not to send in your laptop for service.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Paper Tape
kmw63

Did all of the above months ago.  Just got my computer back from the service center "fixed" with a new wireless card some kind of LCD invert, and new LCD screen.  NOT ANY BETTER.  If this is a recurrent issue on multiple forums, there's a problem.  To all those out there who thinks its the wireless card, it's not.  Yes lenovo, I will be calling again. 

SCSI Port
TinyRK

Good to know. I'll send mine in as well....

Paper Tape
martinus

Hi everyone. I have experienced this behaviour on my new T420. I'm running debian Linux (testing).
802.11n
CorkyG

[ Edited ]
Letting a battery run down that low is not a good thing. If you are at home, always run on A/C power - and I remove the battery completely on my T510 and store it at about a 50% charge. I only put it in when I need to be mobile - and that is not often. That practice will avoid such problems and give much longer battery life.
Token Ring
punchinello

Is there anybody who has send in his notebook and got it back acually fixed not just repaired?

Lenovo X220 (Model: 4290-G51) | Intel Core i7 2460M | Intel HD 3000 | 2 x 8 GB CORSAIR DDR3-1333 RAM | 256GB SAMSUNG 840 Basic SSD | 9-Cell orig. Lenovo Battery 29++ (FRU: 42T4942, LGC) | BIOS V1.29 | Power Manager V6.65.1 | Power Management Driver V1.67.04.05 | Windows 7 Professional 64Bit (up-to-date)