Support in other languages: 
Blue Screen Again
masterllama

T410: Serious Problem with the Video Drivers

I am a music producer and DJ.  I'm also a computer programmer, so I'm very comfortable with computers.

I got my T410 just a few days ago in the mail with the intent of using it as my main laptop while djing.

However, there have been constant audio dropouts, both with external hardware and the computer speakers.

The problem is definitely coming from DPC latency.

I manually debugged the computer and I traced the problem to the Nvidia graphics drivers.  I tried using the standard microsoft vga drivers, and voila the problem was fixed.

There is a big flaw in the graphics drivers, but most people probably don't notice it unless they're dealing with audio exclusively like I do.

Apparently this has been a huge problem with dell/alienware laptops, but they just recently released a fix involving both bios and new graphics drivers.  I'm hoping lenovo can do the same.

For those who have a t400/t410 and also are using an Nvidia card, it would be extremely helpful if you reported your DPC latency.  You can check your DPC latency with this lightweight tool: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml 

Most machines get only green bars, even under high load.  My t410 gets constant yellow and red spikes, even when idling.  If others could report their results, it'd be extremely helpful.

I've already opened a case and am going to be sending the machine back soon, though i doubt it'll fix the problem.  If i can't fix this, I'm going to have to ask for a refund.  This is not a small bug, it is a serious problem.  This laptop, as of now, is completely useless for djing and any type of music production.

Note - a few people were able to fix the problem by disabling nvidia powermizer.  Unfortunately, i've been unable to do this with the 3100m card.  If anyone has done this, please let me know.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
taijohn

Re: T410: Serious Problem with the Video Drivers

Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing the same problem as you.  I recently got a T410 and am running Ableton.  I downloaded the DPC Latency Checker and am occasionally getting spikes in the red and yellow. 

I have only tried running Ableton using the Lenovo internal mic.  The sound does not record at a constant rate, it cuts in and out.  Now, I'm waiting to go to China where my Mackie Onyx Satellite is awaiting me when I'll actually try recording with a firewire audio interface. Of course the internal mic isn't going to record at a high quality, but I wasn't sure if this would be a problem that I will encounter with an audio interface.

John

Token Ring
napalm

masterllama wrote:

There is a big flaw in the graphics drivers, but most people probably don't notice it unless they're dealing with audio exclusively like I do.

"Big flaw" is an understatement :smileywink:. "Most people" actually do notice it - under the form of Blue Screens mentioning the nvidia driver.

Nap.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
taijohn

How do I go about changing this - nvidia driver?

Token Ring
napalm

taijohn wrote:

How do I go about changing this - nvidia driver?

You buy a notebook with ATI graphics. :smileyvery-happy:

Nap.

Paper Tape
simsung

I tried it with strange results:

with musc playing it s mostly green , but when i stop the music it s getting mostly yellow and red.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Navck

Guys, can you try this out:
Disable the Powermizer feature in the NVS3100m driver and see if you get DPC latency issues.

Get something like Powermizer button or one of the many other programs to see if you can control it.

Serial Port
robodelfy

Hi

I have just got my thinkpad t510 and it all seems very nice apart from this audio issue.  I had read every piece of info i could find and didnt find anything too conclusive before i bought it.  I knew that Rain make audio optimised laptops from these called Livebooks so I assumed I could defintaly get it working fine.  I have been running DPC latency checker and getting spikes all over the place.  The only way i get really good DPC latency, all very low green is to uninstall the Nvidia drivers from device manager.  But as someone else said this only gives me a resolution of 1280 x 800, which isnt enough!  I am running Windows 7 32 bit. 

I dont have any settings for powermizer in my nvidia control panel and I read elsewhere that they have not written it into the newest drivers due to problems! 

So basically, we need drivers that dont create DPC spikes, there are enough people asking for it, so please Lenovo, and nvidia, can you sort this out!  It shouldnt be a problem with such an expensive piece of equipment. 

Does anyone have a work around in the meanwhile, I will have two system partitions, one for general use and one for Pro audio use, so on the audio partition i dont need good 3d graphics, so some generic driver could be fine if it stops the spikes.  I will love you forever if you can help with this problem

Thankyou :smileyhappy:

Alex

Paper Tape
rbnetwrkguy

I just encountered a video display issue along the lines of what is being discussed in this thread. Since I do not use high end audio or remote display connections, I cannot comment on those issues as related earlier by other postings. I can say that after setting up my T410 under the installed Windows 7 (64), I noticed the video resolution mode dropped to 1280 x 800 60hz from a higher mode initially set. Upon investigating further, I found that the highest resolution setting available was 1280 x 800 at 60hz and 32 bit color. My system is configured as follows:

• Model: T410 2522BF3
  • BIOS version: LENOVO 6IET65WW (1.25 ), 6/7/2010
  • OS loaded (ex. Win 7 64bit): Win 7 x64 
  • Lenovo default OS: no
  • Updates from TVSU completed: I don't use TVSU but all relevant system software is installed from the "driver matrix".
  • Updates from Windows Updates: all installed
  • Power Manager Version: version 3.25
  • Power Management Driver: version 1.60
  • RAM installed (brand and 1 x 4gb, 1 x 2gb, 2 x 2gb?): 2x2GB (brand unknown)
  • Model of discrete card: NVIDIA NVS 3100M
  • Any error notification: NO
  • 3rd party application installed for the graphic card: no
  • Any particular application which is running on the time this issue arises: no
  • Running on battery? AC? Docked on station: Both
  • Additional comments which you think might help: No 
  •  

Any work arounds available? I have installed the latest NVIDIA 3100M driver from the Lenovo site... no change

Fanfold Paper
    leortez

[ Edited ]

i have the very same problem as llama, but i dont have the nvidia video card, i got the intel hd graphics... its quite dissapointing cuase ive tried everything to find the root of this malfunctioning, its annoying cuase everytime you listen to music theres gaps of distortion (same for videos), could te antivirus generate such problem?? i have symantec endpoint compatible with windows 7... please any solution you ve come to would be very helpful... my computer just got one month... 

this is the latency of my laptop only running media player, 2 iexplorer windows (including this one) and outlook 2007...

https://2wstew.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pCSEvb8LDeZCYFPvXClnudNegaMPokj3cyJzeZqauP6Y8e8lwo-C2GYhN1Jvy...

i cant beleive this is normal at all... not a bit of load...