Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
fly4l
Accepted Solution

T410/T510 DisplayPort features audio!!

[ Edited ]

After calling with a member of the lenovo sales team, i have an important news for many interests i think:

The new Thinkpad T-series will not transport audio signals through the DisplayPort to get digital audio on a television through an HDMI adapter. Were there not enough of annoyed users of the T/W500 or is it because of the early closing the concerning thread? I think this is a

@Lenovo: Why is digital audio transport not possible one more time? I thought Calpella should make things better with native DP-support!?

HDMI
joer80

Re: T510 Still missing audio on DisplayPort

I sure was hoping this was going to be fixed with this generation....  I wonder if it is still going to be Intels fault, or if it will be enabled with a bios update?

Thinkpad T500 - Intel Core2 P8400 (2.26GHz), 4 gigs of ram, 160GB/7200rpm hard drive, ATI 3650 GPU, WSXGA+ panel
Punch Card
hustle

Hello,

this is really bad. I have waited for the T510, because the T500 is missing this feature, too.

Now I think about to buy another notebook label, because this crap is a NO-GO for me.

If HDMI is missing or not is ok, but the display port must transport audio.

Another thing is that the T510 has a crap 16:9 widescreen display. Many people who buys a thinkpad want a business notebook and not a multimedia notebook. I need the missing high to surf the internet or programming.

@ Lenovo: If you have luck I use my T60 until a "new" Thinkpad Series is released, but I buy not that crap T510.

Guru
sys3175

Why must the display port transfer audio?  Also, even on computers that support audio from displayport (I am not sure if the x10 models will support it or not) you must use an adaptor which correctly supports audio, and due to HDCP you must have a monitor which correct supports HDMI.  This includes the fact that due to the HDCP standard you can only have video and audio coming from one source at any one time.   Honestly.. HDMI is just a PIA for a computer unless you have built the machine from the ground up for this purpose, which as a business laptop a thinkpad isn't.   As far as the 16:9 displays this is a supplier issue, you simply cannot get 16:10 screens in great enough quanity to keep up with demand.  (it's sad but true).

hustle wrote:

Hello,

this is really bad. I have waited for the T510, because the T500 is missing this feature, too.

Now I think about to buy another notebook label, because this crap is a NO-GO for me.

If HDMI is missing or not is ok, but the display port must transport audio.

Another thing is that the T510 has a crap 16:9 widescreen display. Many people who buys a thinkpad want a business notebook and not a multimedia notebook. I need the missing high to surf the internet or programming.

@ Lenovo: If you have luck I use my T60 until a "new" Thinkpad Series is released, but I buy not that crap T510.

Thinkpad T500-2081 CTO | T9400 2.53GHz | 8 GB RAM | ATI HD3650 + Intel GM45 | 15.4" LED WXGA+ | Windows 8 | ATI Catalyst 13.1 (non-switchable)
Thinkpad 390x | PII 333 | 256mb ram | NeoMagic 256AV | SVGA LCD | OS/2 v4.52
Punch Card
erik_h

Why put HDMI on a business notebook at ALL, is what i want to know?

But does that mean you got a t510 shipped to you already?

Retired Guru
fmyhr

[ Edited ]

erik_h wrote:

Why put HDMI on a business notebook at ALL, is what i want to know?

Matt Kohut thinks HDMI is a good idea, though he's careful to point out that he's speaking only for himself, not Lenovo.

My monitors use DVI, so as long as I can convert to that I'm happy. Though if I had to choose between HDMI and DisplayPort, I'd choose DP -- I don't appreciate HDCP, royalties, and such encumbrances.

Best regards,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Punch Card
hustle

The display port should transfer audio because I want to connect my thinkpad over the displayport to my 42" LCD. The general displayport properties should support the transport (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displayport). So why is there no support? I said If HDMI is missing that this is okay because it is a business notebook, but lenovo use the displayport because it is free and this standard support it like HDMI!
If this is the true to the screens than I buy fast a 16:10 notebook. A 16:9 LCD is okay because I'm only watching TV, but in notebooks.... they should keep this crap... I don't buy it.

sys3175 wrote:

Why must the display port transfer audio?  Also, even on computers that support audio from displayport (I am not sure if the x10 models will support it or not) you must use an adaptor which correctly supports audio, and due to HDCP you must have a monitor which correct supports HDMI.  This includes the fact that due to the HDCP standard you can only have video and audio coming from one source at any one time.   Honestly.. HDMI is just a PIA for a computer unless you have built the machine from the ground up for this purpose, which as a business laptop a thinkpad isn't.   As far as the 16:9 displays this is a supplier issue, you simply cannot get 16:10 screens in great enough quanity to keep up with demand.  (it's sad but true).

Fanfold Paper
Revenent

[ Edited ]

Actually, since the T510 doesn't have any other real method of outputting digital/surround audio, a request of audio through DisplayPort is pretty reasonable.

Otherwise, you pretty much have a 2010 laptop that is stuck with 1990-level audio technology.

(Before the nitpickers start with the USB audio solutions - other Lenovo laptops, which are cheaper, can output digital audio through HDMI without any third party support.  Going up in product levels shouldn't mean giving up basic features.)

And I also agree with the 16:9 debate - the T and W series are supposed to be a bit more expensive to give the features that people want in a sturdy, functional business laptop.  If it costs $50 more to stuff a 16:10 panel into the higher-end T and W series, why not do that instead of limiting everything down to a 16:9 panel?

Considering most widescreen monitors are already vertically challenged, the drop from 1050 to 900 means giving up another 14.3%, or 25% compared to a 4:3 equivalent (1,600 x 1,200).

EDIT:  My bad - I forgot that we lost both vertical and horizontal resolution - 1,600 x 900 vs. 1,680 x 1,050.  Pixel lost is about 18.4%.  Horizontally, it's a lost of about 4.8%.  Now I'm really having reservations about this generation of T- and W-series.

Then again, with the current economic market, I doubt manufacturers are really going to listen to the whinings of their customers.  Making all these changes (including the removal of the top cage) probably pushes the T-series down into a price range that Lenovo thinks will make it more mainstream.  Along with the reputation of the T-series, they probably hope that it will drive up sales - which will compensate for any lost sales from pickier consumers.

Punch Card
hustle

@ Revenent: I fully agree with you. I hope it will come soon an update for the T510.
Retired Moderator
ecetim

Revenent wrote:

the T and W series are supposed to be a bit more expensive to give the features that people want in a sturdy, functional business laptop. 

But the T & W series AREN'T more expensive than other business laptops. The DisplayPort issue does suck, and royalties aside HDMI is a better technological option given its prevalence (IMO).

But if you want HDMI, 16:10 or 4:3 screens and all the other nitpicks, would you really be willing to pay $2K for a laptop? A well loaded ThinkPad in the T4x days ran you that much and if laptops were built to that same standard today with all of your unconventional desires, you could expect a price at least that much. Most people would laugh at $2K for a black rectangle that for the vast majority of all users, didn't do anything special compared to a $1K box.