Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
Moskito

Re: T510 Still missing audio on DisplayPort

[ Edited ]

Displayport is the better technology compared to HDMI... Being royalty free is just the icing on the cake. If you want to know why DP is better, then read the wikipedia article (packet transport being the important phrase).

And as for the $2k, well there are some parts in this world where you still pay $2k for a Thinkpad, even up to $3000-4000 when choosing a model like the T400s/T410s with 256GB ssd...

For that money I do expect a suitable screen for work situations which means a 4:3 screen with a resolution of at least 1400x1050 or higher. (Preferable IPS but for a notebook TN is fine, too.)

Sadly people don't mind 16:10, nor will they mind 16:9 too much. It was already clear that it was only the first step towards 16:9 when 16:10 was introduced. And 16:10 was specifically created so customers don't put up that much of a fight...

Let's compare some displays and the largest screen resolutions available:
15.0": 2048x1536
15.4": 1920x1200
15.6": 1920x1080

For 15" we lose 456 pixels, that is almost 30% less pixels in height.

Let's now compare the 14" range (Lenovo still keeps the 16:10 alive here, but for how long...):
14.1": 1400x1050
14.0": 1440x900
14.0": 1366x768

So basically for 14" we'd lose 282 pixels in height, that's 26% less pixels in height from 4:3 to 16:9. There are 14" panels with 1600x900 available, so with those the loss would be only 14%, but still...

Being business notebooks Thinkpads should have stayed with the 4:3 ratio... And yes, I think it would have been possible if Lenovo wanted.

Regards, Moskito

Fanfold Paper
Revenent

ecetim wrote:

But the T & W series AREN'T more expensive than other business laptops. The DisplayPort issue does suck, and royalties aside HDMI is a better technological option given its prevalence (IMO).

But if you want HDMI, 16:10 or 4:3 screens and all the other nitpicks, would you really be willing to pay $2K for a laptop? A well loaded ThinkPad in the T4x days ran you that much and if laptops were built to that same standard today with all of your unconventional desires, you could expect a price at least that much. Most people would laugh at $2K for a black rectangle that for the vast majority of all users, didn't do anything special compared to a $1K box.

You just proved my point - the T and W series *have* dropped in price to make it more mainstream.

As for the $2K issue - the T series may live in the lower price range, but the W series is supposed to be the top-of-the-line series.  $2,000 for a very well equipped workstation laptop, especially one that can take the knocks and spills of daily life in an office, isn't exactly asking a lot.  Remember, the W series now has colour calibrators - not exactly something that's found on other high-end laptops.

Also, businesses don't care as much about style as a consumer; the muted "black rectangle" is iconic for ThinkPads - people easily associated with it.  For someone not in the know, it's a lot easier to recognize a ThinkPad than other types of laptops.  And for the most part, that means durable, reliable laptops.

To bring this discussion back to the thread's topic - I realize DP is cheaper to put into the laptop, but most video chips allow for HDMI just as easily.  Maybe Lenovo should have went with HDMI instead.

Punch Card
Rabauke

[ Edited ]

The missing audio over displayport feature: is it a hardware problem, or a software problem?

I read about a dell, which driver could not output the audio if you were using the driver provided by dell itself.

Using windows drivers fixed it.

I can imagine, if it's implemented in the hardware, linux could run it.

Punch Card
Khalifa

DisplayPort is useless without audio unfortunately Lenovo dose not listen to customers...

Retired Guru
sys3175

[ Edited ]

Khalifa wrote:

DisplayPort is useless without audio unfortunately Lenovo dose not listen to customers...

Displayport without audio is STILL a display port.  :smileytongue:

I believe Lenovo listens to customers, and the average thinkpad customer is either never going to use external audio (short of headphones) and probably a large percentage will never even be attached to an external monitor.

I am not saying the t510 cannot output audio over displayport.  I have never tried.

I am not saying the t510 cannot output audio over hdmi with a suported adaptor

I am saying a business laptop will hardly ever be required to serve this purpose.  If you're doing a presentation most of the time you're going to be connecting via vga and 3.5mm anyway,.

This is such a non-issue and really, I would love to hear an actual answer to wether or not this even works (or doesn't).  At the time this thread was started there was no way that the original poster could have had a system in front of them.

Thinkpad T500-2081 CTO | T9400 2.53GHz | 8 GB RAM | ATI HD3650 + Intel GM45 | 15.4" LED WXGA+ | Windows 8 | ATI Catalyst 13.1 (non-switchable)
Thinkpad 390x | PII 333 | 256mb ram | NeoMagic 256AV | SVGA LCD | OS/2 v4.52
Punch Card
jPad

I just got my T510 today and happy to report the displayport on the T510 with the Nvidia carries both audio and video using a DisplayPort to HDMI converter. When you plugin in a displayport cable/converter into the displayport , you will see a new playback device call NVidia HD audio which will allow you to output audio over displayport.

Can someone with the Intel video card on the T510 verify that displayport also carries audio?

Punch Card
LaptopGun

[ Edited ]

Not from me obviously but I'll link to another forum which has a bit of news. DP audio works, you just have to change a setting  http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=5856996&postcount=19

Edit: jPad beat me and he's the original purveyor of this knowledge. That's an epic fail for me...

Ctrl-Alt-Del
fly4l

[ Edited ]

This sounds great, maybe we could get some more confirmations about this feature on T410 and T410s discrete and integrated graphics. So we could make a short summary..

So now it works for: T410 discrete, T510 discrete, W510 discrete

Just choose NVidia HD audio as playback device after connecting your display.

Punch Card
funks

Does Lenovo sell a Display Port to HDMI adapter?  (I know they sell one for a Display Port -> DVD adapter, Part Number 45J7915)

Will any Display Port -> HDMI adapter cable work?  And will it pass through audio as long as it's a W510 w/ the Nvidia audio stuff set?

SCSI Port
TinyRK